You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Rock In Rio 2017 | Sept 23

esoterica wrote:

It's a thin discography.

The three songs that have larger appeal that get rotated in and out are Patience, Don't Cry, and probably You're Crazy. A couple AFD songs either don't get played or don't get played consistently but those are largely esoteric unless you have a hard-on for Out Ta Get Me or your name's Michelle.

If you remove the covers, you're looking at a 20-22 song set which is pretty average. But some of us hate LALD and KOHD out of principle or fatigue and never liked The Spaghetti Incident any way. And now we have MORE covers.

The main problem, imo, is GN'R isn't a band anymore, it's a corporate timeshare, and fans are getting wise.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

zombux wrote:

the problem is just maybe, that if you ask the casuals about GNR, trust me, by far most of them say... ohhh... yes, that's the band that plays KOHD! and maybe LALD. fucked up.

KOHD and LALD are fine by me; they're iconic tracks that GN'R made their own back in the 90s, and are as much a part of GN'R's discography as they are part of Dylan's and McCartney's now. And if they want to pay heartfelt tribute to Cornell with Black Hole Sun, they have every right to, he was their mate. Similarly the tribute to Glen Campbell, I guess he was a formative influence on Axl or something. But padding out their setlist with six or seven more covers when there are perfectly good GN'R tracks sitting there unused, that we know they've rehearsed? It's getting a bit silly. If they want to do a rocker, belt out Perfect Crime instead of The Seeker or Whole Lotta Rosie.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Wagszilla wrote:

It's a thin discography.

The three songs that have larger appeal that get rotated in and out are Patience, Don't Cry, and probably You're Crazy. A couple AFD songs either don't get played or don't get played consistently but those are largely esoteric unless you have a hard-on for Out Ta Get Me or your name's Michelle.

If you remove the covers, you're looking at a 20-22 song set which is pretty average. But some of us hate LALD and KOHD out of principle or fatigue and never liked The Spaghetti Incident any way. And now we have MORE covers.

The main problem, imo, is GN'R isn't a band anymore, it's a corporate timeshare, and fans are getting wise.

There's also the curiosity value of busting out some more Chinese Democracy tracks, of course - it's interesting to hear what Slash and Duff do with them. And there are some belters in there; Prostitute, Madagascar, I.R.S.... I'd rather hear them than The Seeker again.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

I doubt we're getting other CD songs because they're hard for Axl to sing or probably old anti-Slash demon juju.

And speaking of juju, that seems to me the reason for the no Izzy song thing. Then again those were never played in the Chinese era either.

But too true. Now that Axl is in AC/DC, playing those seems a bit distasteful. That's your other job mate, leave that there, you're on Guns time.

"I don't work for you" yeah yeah Axl I know.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I honestly think, from their perspective, there's no need to do anything "new" at this point. It's still the reunion tour they're riding on. I'm interested at what happens after Axl/DC and Slash's next solo tour/album.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Did anyone here watch the show?

The negativity is not just fans looking to bitch, there's a lot of people who noticed Axl's voice was the worst of the whole tour. Look at the negative stuff in this article:

Headline:

Guns save classic training return from Ax's disastrous voice

Quotes:

"more difficult than making peace with the old teammates was to find Axl's voice on stage"

"the singer changed clothes and struggled to run from one side to the other"

"With a flawed voice, he made a point of singing in falsetto, tune up to try to reach higher grades and turned good songs like "Estranged" and "Live and Let Die" (Paul McCartney) into a somewhat painful experience"

"In "Better", for example, there was an awkward silence"

"It was a relief when Duff McKagan took over the microphone to sing"

"but as for the voice, missed the era. Axl's voice was also one of Twitter's most talked about subjects during the show's broadcast"

https://translate.google.com/translate? … edit-text=

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Was a horrible show. Worst of the tour on one of the biggest stages. Typical Axl. The Apollo show blows this Fucking debacle out of the water.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

The negativity hasn't just been us hardcores for awhile.

The ticket prices, setlist, fashion cross branding event, gag order, and lack of new music have all been flooded in comments sections.

Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion...

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Don't Damn Me should've been played when he was sitting on his throne. No better time than that.

I don't think people would choose to hear"Bitch" over "Wild Horses" or whatever

I would! 9

It's a thin discography.

People keep saying this but there's a shit ton of songs that they need to play. I would prefer a Soundgarden style of rotating set lists but that was a slightly different situation....Soundgarden had one mega hit, a few more hits, and their discog loaded with deep cuts that different fans love.

GNR are doing three and a half hour sets when they could easily knock it down to two. Its really hard to criticize them when they are going above and beyond the call of duty for the fans.

KOHD anf LALD are not leaving the set. They are two of the most downloaded GNR songs. They're staples.

Adding all the covers is interesting. If Barry Manilow dies during this tour, I want Ready to Take A Chance Again added to the set. Hell, its practically This I Love without Finck and the moment I found out as a teen that Axl was a Manilow fan, I wanted to hear him sing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRZuEz2VJ40

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Everyone is fucking Up now. Axl, can't sing worth a fuck some nights. Frank fucks up nightly multiple times. Richard now fucks up chords, regularly. Slash loses time now and misses bends. Duff too plays bad notes too. Hahaha. Apollo was totally different.

Board footer