You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Re: Knockin' on Heaven's Door

Ragnar wrote:

Early live versions were cool as time went on, it became bloated and nauseating with " gimme some reggae" bullshit. I liked 2002 version too.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Early live versions were cool as time went on, it became bloated and nauseating with " gimme some raggae" bullshit. I liked 2002 version too.

Yeah I've never been fond of the extended jams and reggae interludes either

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Early live versions were cool as time went on, it became bloated and nauseating with " gimme some raggae" bullshit. I liked 2002 version too.

yup. the only even worse thing were those idiotic guitar solos, guitar and drum solos and drum solos that lasted for 2 hours during the UYI era.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Listening to Matt Sorum bash drums for two hours 14

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
zombux wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

yup. the only even worse thing were those idiotic guitar solos, guitar and drum solos and drum solos that lasted for 2 hours during the UYI era.

Loved the guitar solos

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

The drum solos were too much 16

Sorum was a hell of a drummer though, SFTD came on the other day and I found my self tuned in to the drumming. The drums on that outro are killer.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I kinda prefer the Days of Thunder version to UYI – always wondered why Axl wanted those little spoken word interludes, and why they didn't make the final album cut. It did get a bit bloated in the live version though.

In the 00's, I really liked what Fortus and Finck brought to the song's rhythm parts – best seen in this video:

And I distinctly remember that song, more than any of them, was the one that made me think, "It's a damn shame we'll never get to see Fortus play with Slash, 'cause I reckon their styles would mesh really well together."

I think it worked out pretty well. I like the current version, though it still goes on a bit long for my taste. Still, it's one of the few tracks where Fortus gets to solo, so I'm happy enough with it.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

IMHO, the best performances of this song happened in 87-88 tours and during Buckethead era. later it became too bloated again.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
zombux wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Don't think I ever really liked the song outside of the fact my favorite band played it. It's a skip 100 times out of 100 on Spotify for me and it's honestly hard for me to think of a GNR song I'd rather listen to less. At least My World is over in a minute and a half.

this. I strongly dislike the song (together with LALD) and always skip.

I sorta agree, never liked the song much. Just sounded overproduced versus Dylans, but I guess I get it. They sorta made it their own, in a good way just not a great way. I agree about LALD the same way, good song, never liked that they made it a single.

Civil War was epic when it was released. Possibly the best song from UYI & imo the best single, maybe aside from Estranged although that seemed more an MTV single than radio. When it was released in 90 it was probably the best time to be a Guns fan.

Hated Sympathy for the Devil, ugggh.  Janes Addiction had already covered it, and made it their own re-interpretation (surfer/beach vibe). When I heard the Axl version in 96 I laughed it off & never wanted to listen again.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

LALD is so boring to me now. Just features some Axl screams. Big deal. It is close to being on the level with the Seeker.

Board footer