You are not logged in. Please register or login.

benny
 Rep: 0 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

benny wrote:

I regret that I didn’t get the chance to see GNR live during the 2002 tour in the US.  I’ve always read how awesome the Boston show was.  I did get to see them in Baltimore in 2006.   So I saw them after Buckethead had left and before Ashba.  Then I saw them in July of last year in Philly.  Just wish I saw them in 2002 as well.

Cowboy Buddha
 Rep: 1 

Pm please. I knew these were floating or there somewhere like the 2001 pro shot Vegas show

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
misterID wrote:

That could he true, but I remember Beta posting the album was turned in and she had no reason to lie.

People lie for all sorts of reasons. To protect people, to inflate their end of the deal, and so forth. Or because they unfortunately believe their lies.

misterID wrote:

The fact Azoff was brought on board and it was then released with the BB deal tells me she was right. He did turn it in and label wasn't doing anything with it.

What I've seen written between the lines is effectively that. The Andy Wallace mixes were sitting on a desk for a long time because the record company couldn't give two fucks about it. The record company is going to pump acts dry and then move on. It was long past that point for Axl.

Azoff is the savior of the project from a commercial standpoint.

PaSnow wrote:

I'm a bit foggy on some of this. So Robin quit before CD was released?  Huh, I remember him on the tours & shows, all hippied out. But yeah Hammerstien was 06, did they have a mini-US tour in 06-07 that he played alot of these shows?  (Fundraising tour lol).

Robin quit sometime in 2007 shortly after the Japanese tour.

But it wasn't announced/leaked until April 2008, 7 months before CD's release in November 2008.

The Azoff didn't pay Robin argument doesn't hold water for me.

sp1at wrote:

That's a myth. You can check with Iovine/Universal, but nothing was turned in for 'release'. The reason all the money was pumped into CD is because they were trying to get Axl to a place where he was happy for release.

So CD being mastered in 2000 clearly not true then?

sp1at wrote:

Buckethead drifted away because he figured out Axl was never going to release CD, but didn't have the heart to tell him. Merck was sacked because he also tried to force the issue, lightly. Axl doesn't release albums. UYI and CD were not released willingly. Axl does albums but doesn't do album releases. Probably a psychological thing.

So... people hoarding material would be expediting Axl's recovery if they post the material.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
CSS 2.0 wrote:

Ashba killed any remaining interest from me. I tried my best to support the guy and initially that kind of worked in his favour since Axl just sounded so damn good at the beginning in 2009/2010 (he looked worse for wear but I couldn't care less), but from there on out it was a downward spiral like we've never witnessed before.

I vividly remember the Rock In Rio "performance" in 2011... Streamed online for the world to see. That was the straw which broke the camel's back - what a fucking disaster.

Yeah it was like that for me too.

Initially I was excited about DJ joining, as I was very skeptical about Robin.

For the record I like Robin's stage presence - he's a watchable dude and I would have liked him in a Rhythm roll with occasional leads on the CD songs - but I just didn't think he had the chops to do Slash's stuff well.

Dj seemed like he would be an improvement at first as it was obviously more important to him to be faithful to the original guitar solos (which is as important to me as sticking to the lyrics.).

I find him a conundrum - I've met him twice and he was a very friendly and cool dude. So I have nothing against him. But I don't really like his stage persona for GNR. His personal style seemed more Motley Crue than GNR (that's not an insult as I LOVE motley - but its a different band) and the effect was kinda like watching Motley Ape Slash and it just seemed a bit forced. Marketing wise it just felt too transparent like you could see the strings or something.

To be honest if he'd dropped the hat and if he didn't pull quite as many of slash's quitar stances I'd have been down to keep him. Like how Robin evolved from 2002 to 2006 I can imagine a version of DJ that I thought was a cooler than the one we had.

Anyway - I was super excited for the band in 2009 - that Asian tour was off the hook to me - finally they were doing a lot of CD songs - Axl was smashing out the screams on twat and it sounded awesome. All guns were firing so to speak.

Then it went to hell with that rio disaster. I remember live streaming it and the shock and disapointment were hard. I convinced myself it was an off night at first but as we all know the next few years were hard. I respect Axl might have some vocal issues or whatever but its just hard to get used to that voice.

It was one reason the 2016 and the Axl Dc shows were so triumphant for fans. Raspy Axl was back for the first real time since 2010 or something. It was like now this is the man.

That shoot to thrill cover.....fuck me....that is Axl Rose folks. It dropped my jaw.

He had chops but he chose not to ape Slash, big difference. DJ is a whole different subject though.

LocoComa
 Rep: 4 

LocoComa wrote:

Argh. SD card got corrupted on my phone before I could back Maddy up. Any chance someone could hit me with a new link, since the old one is dead?

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
CSS 2.0 wrote:

Ashba killed any remaining interest from me. I tried my best to support the guy and initially that kind of worked in his favour since Axl just sounded so damn good at the beginning in 2009/2010 (he looked worse for wear but I couldn't care less), but from there on out it was a downward spiral like we've never witnessed before.

I vividly remember the Rock In Rio "performance" in 2011... Streamed online for the world to see. That was the straw which broke the camel's back - what a fucking disaster.

Not to mention the Bridge School Benefit or that Appetite for Democracy rubbish.

Of course this wasn't down to DJ but he's the epitome of what I consider to be a stereotype rock star and I just can't deal with that type of personality. All I could ever see was a Slash copycat and I couldn't get past it.

Writing had always been on the wall with the post-1996 incarnation of GN'R but A) Robin leaving in the wake of CD's release and B) Axl picking a fight with a paparazzo in an airport before the supporting tour had even begun should've sent the alarm bells ringing at full speed.

I had a chance to see them in 2010 but opted not to. For reference I saw them 4 times in 3 different countries back in 2006. I think that speaks volumes. Really, I stopped giving a crap after we finally got the album.

The sad truth is the very day Buckethead left it was already over.

19 years were spent essentially sullying one man's career/reputation and for what? Virtually nothing of worth.

yup, same here. I loved the 2006 tour, and I was also hyped by the 2009 tour. 2010 started kind of well, so I bought tickets for September 2010 in Prague. it was a huge disaster. after the opener (decent Danko Jones) there was a pause over 1 hour, after which people started leaving and demanding refundal. announcer then said that the show would star within another 1 hour. the performance itself was quite mediocre, from what I remember the only really shining point was Richard, whom I never considered a good performer, but that time he stole the show, he was all over it, with a huge grin on his face, eyes wide open, looking like possessed. the rest of the band sounded quite tired.
and still, I was there when Rio 2011 happened, realising how futile is it all. and I stopped to care for the whole "DJ Era".

Voodoochild
 Rep: 3 

Voodoochild wrote:

The DJ Ashba era was also a letdown to me. To this day I still follow the band whenever theres something mildly interesting going on, but I just don't believe in their potential anymore.

That's why I so look forward for anything from the Robin and Bucket era. It's by far the more interesting stuff.

Ps: people who still wants the song, PM me with your email address.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

The few of us who bought into New GNR bought into it because it was just that - New GNR. It was Axl replacing the cast of characters. New GNR was going to kick the shit out of the old band. It doesn’t matter if it was Merck propaganda. That’s boldness and vigor I can get behind!

And when Axl came out in 2006 he seemed a change man, a man reborn. Even with the moments of dysfunction that year it was a sea change from then 2002 operation. A pro shot, photos of Axl, great performances, Izzy! In hindsight it’s a sad commentary.

For me the jig was up on CD’s release without any promotion, a peep from Axl, anything bearing the signs of a healthy band/business/creative endeavor. But Robin leaving and DJ Ashba replacing him and the ambiguity about Brain bring back on drums or not, every Illusion was shattered in an instant.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

MisterID, like someone else said my memory is foggy 10+ years later, but I recall Beta's post on HTGTH being pretty over the top. Just her venting haphazardly laying blame on anyone but Axl. I don't think it was a factual statement as much as it was her replying to what was likely some annoying 16 year old poster/troll egging her on & she fired back. Lamely. But I think I do remember her posting about how none of this is Axls fault. Not sure I'd completely buy into it, that's all.

Oh, I remember her calling people idiots and stuff. But ever since Merck was fired and Axl addressed the fans, he was clearly intent on releasing CD. He gave a date that came and went, but it was clear he didn't want everything he worked on buried, and he didn't want to be rushed into making a release date before he was ready.

What I do know is this: Beta responded to a fan that said CD would never be released. She said it was turned in but the label wouldn't move on it. Azoff is hired, strikes a deal with BB and gets it released. The label fucks up the album art and lyrics, which to me, shows some ugliness on their part.

MSL said the label wanted to be reimbursed for the album. From 2006, Axl funded additional recording on CD himself as the label no longer was giving him any money. Sometime in 2007 Merck is fired, Axl gives a release date. Sometime after in 2007-08 Beta says the album has been turned in. Months later, Axl hires Azoff. The BB deal paid the label off to release the album. After, Axl visits the boards as Dexter and fully expects CD 2 to be released in 09 (same bat time, same bat channel). Problems with Azoff arise, such as a promised Van Halen stadium tour that never happens, promises to Best Buy he was never made aware of, such as an exclusive video. He fires Azoff, hires various big named management firms, fires them, finally hires Fernando. In interviews he talks about the second half of Chinese, also that he was negotiating with the label for this release of CD 2. In the MSL leaks Axl mentions how Ron was annoying because of how he kept publicly talking shit about CD 2 songs in that they were old and that he wasn't involved in writing them. Tommy expressed the opinion that he now realized what all they lost with Bucket leaving. Axl liked the fan reaction to the leaks. The last we hear about CD 2, he's in the studio working on it just months before the reunion.

This whole saga tells me that Axl never has not wanted to release anything. To me, he does want to release it and it's not always on him. Dexter, feel like chiming in here? wink

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

September 2006 - North American tour
October 2006 - Andy Wallace mixes done
October 2006 - Albums played at Axl’s
December 2006 - Merck fired
December 2006 - Axl announces March 6 2007 release date
January 2007 - Axl final vocal recording done
February 2007 - Bumblefoot/Frank recording done
March 2007 - Album removed from UMG books
April-August 2007 - Asian/Oceania Tour
March 2008 - Azoff & Gould hired
April 2008 - Robin rejoins NIN
June 2008 - Antiquiet Skwerl leaks
November 2008 - Chinese Democracy released

Why announce a release date if recording isn’t done? If artwork isn’t ready? If there isn’t a proper promotional plan in place?

I don’t care who you are, the lyrics and artwork fuckup is 100% on Team Brazil. You can get clearances in a couple weeks and email the files for your design team in the mean time. Even if they were sincerely trying to rush to the finish line in 2006/2007 there’s no excuse for not having this ready in 2008.

The record company isn’t looking to fuck Axl over. It was a Mickey Mouse operation that expected the gold carpet rollout.

Board footer