You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

bigbri wrote:

Early thoughts: Bucket criminally underused. [...] Huge not as awful as has been said but just is not necessary.

Pretty much this. Having Buckethead standing there like a lemon while Huge does a solo is a senseless waste. Huge is perfectly competent – indeed, he's a good songwriter, half the good tracks on Chinese Democracy are his – but there was never any reason to have a three-guitar setup beyond Axl's loyalty. Equally though, having two lead guitarists makes no sense. They should've stuck with Huge/Finck or Huge/Bucket and committed to showcasing one lead player. All they did was hand critics a stick to beat them with ("hurr hurr, it takes three guitarists to replace Slash").

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Matt originally picked out Robin as a good fill for the rhythm spot...that would have worked imo - he could have still done the occasional lead line or something on new songs - but he wasn't really suited for Slash duties.

It would have been interesting to have Robin on rhythm and Bucket on all leads. Although even then - I love and respect bucket's playing but his style and technique again isn't really suited to the old GNR catalogue. He has the chops to play anything but the way he plays is so avant garde that he isn't a logical choice to front a classic rock aerosmith/stones style band like GNR.

I know that's because Axl wanted to change the sound - but then that didn't really happen. Aside from Silkworms, Riad and a few other tracks (which I like) most of the time the band played AFD stuff. If that was going to be the case it would have made more sense to go with a monster classic rock player like Aldrich to try and replicate slash.

Sometimes I think CD would have been interesting as a side project. Imagine the GNR name was owned by the AFD guys. Then in the same way Slash did snakepit cos they couldn't agree, Axl could have run off and made CD as a sideproject - free to do as much synth and non-traditonal gnr sounds as he liked complete with bucket and the whole 2001 circus vibe - toured clubs for a year like snakepit - they they could have regrouped GNR and made some new projects artistically. Different universe I guess.

I actually love CD, but its weird to me that these 15 songs seem to have dominated 30 years of Axl's life or something. it's why i'd like to see them move on and do a new album. It's kinda weird this long after we're still doing remixes and still considering these songs new. It's weird that there's never anything truely new.

That said - the clip of Axl on the TIL remix is insane...makes u wonder what else is in the vault....such amazing rasp...it's killer...better than the released version IMO.

benny
 Rep: 0 

benny wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Matt originally picked out Robin as a good fill for the rhythm spot...that would have worked imo - he could have still done the occasional lead line or something on new songs - but he wasn't really suited for Slash duties.

It would have been interesting to have Robin on rhythm and Bucket on all leads. Although even then - I love and respect bucket's playing but his style and technique again isn't really suited to the old GNR catalogue. He has the chops to play anything but the way he plays is so avant garde that he isn't a logical choice to front a classic rock aerosmith/stones style band like GNR.

I know that's because Axl wanted to change the sound - but then that didn't really happen. Aside from Silkworms, Riad and a few other tracks (which I like) most of the time the band played AFD stuff. If that was going to be the case it would have made more sense to go with a monster classic rock player like Aldrich to try and replicate slash.

Sometimes I think CD would have been interesting as a side project. Imagine the GNR name was owned by the AFD guys. Then in the same way Slash did snakepit cos they couldn't agree, Axl could have run off and made CD as a sideproject - free to do as much synth and non-traditonal gnr sounds as he liked complete with bucket and the whole 2001 circus vibe - toured clubs for a year like snakepit - they they could have regrouped GNR and made some new projects artistically. Different universe I guess.

I actually love CD, but its weird to me that these 15 songs seem to have dominated 30 years of Axl's life or something. it's why i'd like to see them move on and do a new album. It's kinda weird this long after we're still doing remixes and still considering these songs new. It's weird that there's never anything truely new.

That said - the clip of Axl on the TIL remix is insane...makes u wonder what else is in the vault....such amazing rasp...it's killer...better than the released version IMO.

I prefer the This I Love alternate vocals as well, same with preferring the 2001 demos to the album tracks.  I've always wished the album would've been released in 2002 following the Boston promo.  The tracks from that era sound so much better to me.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

TIL remix is very nice. I just really really miss that Robin's solo from the album version. that solo kind of defined the song, similarly to Slash's solos in Estranged. the remix is a bit castrated by its absence, altough yea I know why that happened.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

I mean, if you were being logical and reasonable and not trying to completely change the band's sound, the obvious thing to do would've been to put Huge on rhythm and Fortus (who was on Axl's radar pre-Buckethead) on lead. Fortus is a classic rock player, unlike Bucket and Finck, and it would've been a hell of a lot easier for people to get on board with (though I'll allow that you'd probably want a bigger name to take over from someone as iconic as Slash).

Waclimino
 Rep: 0 

Waclimino wrote:

Thanks for the reply, zombux. Would also be interested to hear whether my 2001 demos are those that weren't tampered with. Again, The Blues is 4:44 and There Was a Time is 5:25. I have also found This I Love, which is called "This I Love [Remix 2010 - Studio] - Guns N' Roses" and is 5:22 in length. Is this the best one out there?
And, with those crossed off, it leaves

Puerto Rico 2010
Stereo Oh My God
Stereo Silkworms
Going Down 2002 (curious to hear it no matter if it's fake or not)

So I kindly repeat my request for PM for those. Once I have them all, I'll be glad to share and send them to those who ask.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

All this older stuff is OK, but I can’t help but wonder why The General and other stuff isn’t leaking. It seems HOB 2001 could have been used to get that or other unheard material.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
bigbri wrote:

wonder why The General and other stuff isn’t leaking

still it's possible that it leaks in some form. there is a 2 minutes bad quality cellphone recording from some VIP listening party, which starts with Silkworms end, and continues with beginning of The General. it's possible that it leaks too, but I wouldn't hold my breath. reportedly (told by people who actually have that) it's nothing really great and the quality is really bad.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Probably because it still has a little bit of value. Nobody has heard those songs.

My mind is still blown HOB leaked. I was honestly starting to think the show just never happened.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Probably because it still has a little bit of value. Nobody has heard those songs.

My mind is still blown HOB leaked. I was honestly starting to think the show just never happened.

That’s why i said maybe the HOB 2001 could have been used to get something unheard.

Do we even know who’s behind this wave of leaks?

Board footer