You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Walker
 Rep: 8 

Re: chinese democracy related stuff you own

Walker wrote:

Bike CD
Bike SHM-CD
Unopened case of 30 Bike CDs
Red Hand CD
Red Hand CD signed by Axl, Richard and Tommy

Chinese Democracy/Shackler's Revenge 7"
Bike 2LP
Bike 2LP
Bike 2LP (sealed)

Several shirts from 02 and 2 shirts each from 2006, 2011, 2012, and 2014
Best Buy listening party shirt
How Are You grenade shirt
Red Star shirt

Double sided Best Buy poster

Rock Band 2 PS3 Game with the entire album purchased and downloaded

I think that is all of my physical items

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Chinese on CD

Guns N' Roses Tour Shirt from 2011

(God...I really want the 2002 Tour and How Are You? shirts.)

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
otto wrote:

I have:
2001 Rock in Rio tshirt (similar to Vegas 2001 NYE but worse quality)
http://images.eil.com/large_image/GUNS_ … 354708.jpg
2002 Tour Tshirts
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bnhzksUwXK4/U … 136961.jpg

That era had some interesting logos/banners. Not sure where they were going with it but wish it had turned out differently(for many reasons).

It was all dropped four years later with a strategy that was more about blending old/new.

Walker wrote:

Unopened case of 30 Bike CDs

The Dollar Store was selling those by the case? 18

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I have a $1 CD and a $1 vinyl.  Neither have ever been opened.

Walker

Walker wrote:

hahahaha no, the case is from best buy when they went on sale for $2.99. to my knowledge dollar tree never sold chinese democracy. that picture with the cd in the store was staged.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

That era had some interesting logos/banners. Not sure where they were going with it but wish it had turned out differently(for many reasons).

The comeback show in Vegas went with the classic GNR font "Onyx".

The iconography was generally Chinese in flavor. Your workers revolts, dragons, stars, what have you. The unfortunately rebranded Japanese Kamikaze Pilot now Chinese Revolutionary was thankfully retired after it's brief appearance in 2001. The protopunk revolutionary in a gas mask is the best of the lot and that was used only once before Clear Channel abandoned ship and the tour was cancelled.

The font later used in marketing materials in 2001-2002 and sparingly in 2006 was the font "Hirosh" which was used by Buckethead on his 1999 album "Monsters and Robots" and by Journey on the 2001 compilation album "The Essential Journey".

dIauwDK.jpg

I read something awhile ago that Duff and Slash were part of the reason that the Vegas DVD was never released. I never heard that substantiated by anyone back in the day but that was an old chinese whisper if you will. If the legal issues were indeed the culprit, it would've been somewhat forgivable, but abandoning the entirety of the past brand identity was one of many marketing gaffes by the new lineup.

In addition to wanting the 2001 version of the album for artistic purity reasons, I would also very much like to see the abandoned Paul Whitehead artwork from 2001, none of which appeared on the released album or aborted re-releases.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

In addition to wanting the 2001 version of the album for artistic purity reasons, I also would very much like to see the abandoned Paul Whitehead artwork, none of which appeared on the released album or aborted re-releases.

wait, what? he drafted up a cover for cd at some point? first i've heard of that.

the only thing i ever remember hearing about the cover was during the first '02 show in china:

gnr on tour wrote:

Before ‘Chinese Democracy,’ Axl explained the title of the album and showed the crowd [on the video screen] the artwork for the new album. The artwork is black and white and features a bicycle, with a wall behind it that someone painted with “Guns N’ Roses!!”

btw, monsters & robots is one of the greatest bucket releases. claypool, bootsy, brain & bucket all jamming their fuckin' asses off!

Walker

Walker wrote:

i did not realize bucket used that font on a 90's album. i'll buy the cd on discogs tonight.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

wait, what? he drafted up a cover for cd at some point? first i've heard of that.

Yep.

"Whitehead is currently involved in a number of projects, including the intriguing possibility of creating the sleeve design for Guns N' Roses' long awaited and much-anticipated 'Chinese Democracy' album. 'I met just last week with [producer] Roy Thomas-Baker, so hopefully I'll be meeting again with Roy and Axl and it all gets tied up,' he says." (Classic Rock, 01/02)

And even the cover designer takes the piss. He probably got fired for this.

"[Album cover designer Paul Whitehead] was taken aback to learn that for the past three months Axl has been working on just one track." (Classic Rock, 01/02)

dalethirsty wrote:

btw, monsters & robots is one of the greatest bucket releases. claypool, bootsy, brain & bucket all jamming their fuckin' asses off!

It's good. I like it.

Very Praxis-like.

It cracked my Buckethead Top 10 when I ranked them the other year.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

so who did the artwork on inside of the vinyl?

does the cd version of cd have the same art?

the cover photo is credited to some random fuck named terry hardin (did you get enough basket in the picture?)

the red star on the back is by shi lifeng

the "art direction and design" is by another random fuck named ryan corey at smog design

Board footer