You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Slash on Radio Sixx Sense

esoterica wrote:

It's all about business.

If it doesn't help the business it's not happening.

• Live soundboards for a sliver of a sliver of your market, likely the sliver that will also tear it to shreds? LOL.

• A new GH when the current one is selling just fine? No.

• Re-released AFD for no other reason besides re-releasing it? Why?

Axl will continue to wait everything out because he has leverage. If it lines up for him, he'll take it. If not, he's content to walk out the door.

The only thing I don't entirely understand is half of a year off.

I get needing a break, resting your voice, and lining up side projects but that is a decent chunk of time.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

I guess in 2018 they could just appear at a show, preferably with Izzy and Adler, poop onstage, and still they'd earn shitload of money.
I guess my time for being a GNR fan has expired then, hardly anything new can be expected now.
on the other hand, thanks to these guys doing nothing at all besides milking their old hits, I've discovered tons of bands which are alive, creative and happy to present new stuff to their fanbase.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

lol

I’ve given up on them.

The fashion event was bad enough but they could’ve dropped singles around Rio without a sweat.

I’m just here for the laughs and the improbable scenario where sneak fuck hoarders post Silkworms.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

yup, same here big_smile the thin possibility of a leak is probably the only reason why I still keep this tab pinned.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The 6 month break could be for Axl's voice.

There were several occurrences towards the end of the last tour where he went for the big raspy screams and instead his voice kinda cracked and faltered.

Normally he choses to use mickey to protect his voice, but these seemed to be instances where he decided not to use the Mickey tone and it just didn't work, which is a bit of a concern.

Hopefully a few months off sees him return to 2016 style rasp.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
zombux wrote:

\
so no, this can't really be compared to Metallica or any other band. I've never been a Metallica fan, but I really like watching them onstage now, how excitedly they play the recent material. \

This is kinda how I feel too.

I have no problem with them making a fuck ton of money - it's what a classic band like GNR should make - and I have no problem with a mostly hits setlist as that's what the audience wants.

But comparable bands still make new music - even though its not a cash bonanza to do so - because it keeps them vital and they enjoy playing those songs a lot.

This should be especially true of GNR - which has a particularly small catalogue compared to most acts of a similar vintage.

No one expects them to be at their prime and create something as good as the originals but most bands put out reunion and later albums that are still worthy of the name and sound like themselves that fans enjoy as their later works.

Obviously in the modern industry the bulk of the business time and expense has to be directed towards touring where the money is - but it wouldn't be hard to do what they do while also keeping the band fresh by playing around with some new music from time to time. If the label is a problem just play it live in the place of one of the cover songs.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I would guess they either had prior commitments or its a break not to get burned out. The longer they're together the more likely they end up in a studio, IMO. The Chinese Democracy tour was used to studio hop to record & rerecord from New York, Vegas and LA.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
zombux wrote:

so no, this can't really be compared to Metallica or any other band.

It can be in the context of big band touring and the circus that goes into it.

As for album releases, it's different story. Imagine Hetfield signing it off after Black album, only to come back with Death Magnetic.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
zombux wrote:

so no, this can't really be compared to Metallica or any other band.

It can be in the context of big band touring and the circus that goes into it.

As for album releases, it's different story. Imagine Hetfield signing it off after Black album, only to come back with Death Magnetic.

It'd be suicide.

Like he'd already died.

Just the funeral he'd been waiting for.

Board footer