You are not logged in. Please register or login.

otto
 Rep: 83 

Re: Blind item on crazydaysandnights.net

otto wrote:
monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

That's concerning. Does it fit the clues about divorces and recent touring? I'm not familiar with pumpkins history in recent times.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Hmmm maybe. Although as you say the recent touring comment I don’t think really applies (based off a quick google).

Also would Pumpkins be described as permanent A list? Not sure they would.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

A Private Eye wrote:

Hmmm maybe. Although as you say the recent touring comment I don’t think really applies (based off a quick google).

I wouldn't call the Pumpkins "permanent A-list" and I'm a Pumpkins fan. Also not sure the "lawsuits and alimony payments" line could apply to them (whereas it could definitely apply to Slash). And while Billy Corgan has played one or two gigs with James Iha recently (the first being in 2016):
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news … t-20160327
he hasn't been touring as The Smashing Pumpkins recently, he's been doing one of those "intimate solo tours": https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/08/ … our-dates/

There's definitely nothing there that could constitute "all that recent concert money they've recently earned", which for me is the big one that points to it being GN'R.

ETA: the other thing that convinces me it's GN'R is the fact that the band's gone dark in recent weeks, particularly Duff not showing up to promote Walking Papers and Slash – the workaholic – not heading out on tour with Myles.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

I wouldn't call the Pumpkins "permanent A-list" and I'm a Pumpkins fan. Also not sure the "lawsuits and alimony payments" line could apply to them (whereas it could definitely apply to Slash). And while Billy Corgan has played one or two gigs with James Iha recently (the first being in 2016):
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news … t-20160327
he hasn't been touring as The Smashing Pumpkins recently, he's been doing one of those "intimate solo tours": https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/08/ … our-dates/

There's definitely nothing there that could constitute "all that recent concert money they've recently earned", which for me is the big one that points to it being GN'R.

ETA: the other thing that convinces me it's GN'R is the fact that the band's gone dark in recent weeks, particularly Duff not showing up to promote Walking Papers and Slash – the workaholic – not heading out on tour with Myles.

I think Slash is already at Mates setting up the rehearsal space bringing in Amps and Cabs and going over ideas etc with Adam Day. Then the rest of the guys head to Mates to start album rehearsals.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Rick doesn't sit around while you write stuff. You hire him when you have everything ready to go and he deems it good.

This is GNR not Slipknot. He will wait because they are the biggest hard rock act in the world. That said, there are better producers.

He didn't wait around for U2 to write an album. They write and record at the same time with the producer involved. He has no problem bolting on the biggest bands who don't have material ready to go.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

They could, quite possibly, just say "hey, I got thirty songs, let's re-record them with a rawer sound."

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Rick doesn't sit around while you write stuff. You hire him when you have everything ready to go and he deems it good.

This is GNR not Slipknot. He will wait because they are the biggest hard rock act in the world. That said, there are better producers.

He didn't wait around for U2 to write an album. They write and record at the same time with the producer involved. He has no problem bolting on the biggest bands who don't have material ready to go.

You may be right! There are going to be jamming very soon... Slash is ready. Bring it on!

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Relevant quote from the China Exchange:

Audience:
The music industry is going through a pretty tricky time.  And obviously different artists seem to be dealing with it different ways. You have Radiohead self-releasing things, then you have people like Morrisey that really wants to have- belong to a label and have that security. Where do you stand on that and where to you see the music industry going into the future business wise.

Axl:
Well, to me, in the late 90s to now, it's like the heads of record companies realized- and it's not just my opinion, they've said it to me. It's like I tell people- I don't get fights with people in the music industry I get in fights with people that are the music industry. They realized that for their business they don’t- why deal with a band. All they need is a star and a producer. Somebody that they feel is a star and a producer. And if they- they don't even care who writes what or how [???] or what it sounds like. They can be a genuine fans of music. Say the record company owner/president, whatever, but when it comes to their business it doesn't have anything to do with that. It just has to do with what is going to be the easiest, what is going to make the most money and work, make their company and shareholders happy and stuff like that. Which I can respect that in a sense, but as an artist and a musician and working with bands it doesn't help me, you know, at all, and I don't think it helps music. It doesn't help the bands become self-sufficient and successful. They've got to work a lot harder 'cause the labels more are worried about them making the money.

misterID wrote:

They could, quite possibly, just say "hey, I got thirty songs, let's re-record them with a rawer sound."

I doubt it.

It's red tape and it's Chinese Democracy II repackaged. The label wouldn't want this. Slash and Duff wouldn't want this. Rick Rubin wouldn't want this.

It's in everybody's interest to strike while the iron's hot. CD II could be in play down the road but once the music engine has more steam behind it but really it's gonna get the most interest after Axl's retired or in the great Taco Bell stand in the sky.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I'd believe this.

There's 100 song ideas in the vault - so it's not inconceivable they get the top 20 or 30 that work in the old band style - then add in a couple of new riffs from soundcheck...and work it up into a 12 song album that melody wise is CD2 inspired but guitar and arrangement wise has a more classic GNR feel.

They will want to capture the current chemistry but it also doesn't make sense to discard 90% of your working life's work either.

Board footer