You are not logged in. Please register or login.

auad
 Rep: 3 

Re: Differences between bands ... lack of professionalism and other issues

auad wrote:

Not all artists want "reunions" that sum up to acts of nostalgia ...

"You once said you've avoided a Talking Heads reunion because it would overshadow the other things you've done. Is it really that simple?
There's a lot to that. I see what happens with other people when they do their reunions – and then it turns into a second reunion and a third reunion. With someone like the Pixies, it's different – they're getting the audience now that they deserved ages ago. But with a lot of them, it just seems like you don't have anything new to say, and you go, "OK, this is just some kind of nostalgia exercise." And I'm not interested in that."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/feat … ds-w516185

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Apex twin is probably able to calculate precisely when the magic broke. Maybe it was around the time when Bucket was lost. I think apex posited the theory of the general helpedturning it into a well oiled touring machine as opposed to a project. But as to who is ultimately to blame well its prob down to a few factors.

The last train to CD redemption went away with the Dec '06 letter about CD's release and Merck's dismissal. Team Brazil had taken over.

I saw the '06 band. They were killing it and only needed an album. Had Axl buckled up and delivered the goods in 2005, he would've gotten the warmest reception he could hope to have after all the delays. In 2007, he still had his form, but looking back, it was also a sign of things to come. No more album talk, just dates.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Apex twin is probably able to calculate precisely when the magic broke. Maybe it was around the time when Bucket was lost. I think apex posited the theory of the general helpedturning it into a well oiled touring machine as opposed to a project. But as to who is ultimately to blame well its prob down to a few factors.

The last train to CD redemption went away with the Dec '06 letter about CD's release and Merck's dismissal. Team Brazil had taken over.

I saw the '06 band. They were killing it and only needed an album. Had Axl buckled up and delivered the goods in 2005, he would've gotten the warmest reception he could hope to have after all the delays. In 2007, he still had his form, but looking back, it was also a sign of things to come. No more album talk, just dates.

yup. the 2006 band was a fucking steamroller, especially when Izzy joined them onstage and Baz was talking nonsense shit, which for some odd reason was totally cool. loved that era.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

2006 Axl was 4 years too late and 10 years too early.

johndivney wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Haha I love it!
It’s funny cause it’s true.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Bingo.

In 2002, he had his poshed-up version of the Roy Thomas Baker / Tom Zutaut -album. He added Beltrami/Buckmaster orchestrations, while a major and long-haggled tour was at hand. He knew ClearChannel were coming to collect their advance. Release the album and tour, common sense suggested. Financial backing was there, with arenas booked. Go through the hoops.

Sources like Robin (with his website pic, post-tour cancellation) and some newspapers have suggested Axl was under a huge mental strain during the '02 tour. By looking at the rants, over-sized jerseys, tantrums and overall lateness, Axl was at his insecure worst on many a night. For what it's worth, Axl seriously cares about giving a good show, and is bummed (like everyone else) during a bad one.

In '02, Axl established a pattern of not completing a perfectly releasable album. This is to say, we're giving the Sean Beavan album a pass, as that one can be divvied up between Axl and Jimmy Iovine. But the '02 album is completely on Axl, without evidence to the contrary. The finished album is sort of a '99-'00 (over 50% of vox) and '03-'08 (all the rest) hybrid, and a bit 'unfinished' at that.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

In '02, Axl established a pattern of not completing a perfectly releasable album.

The VMAs were the nail in the coffin.

The gossip on the streets was a release was finally imminent.

Axl biffs it and then gives an unequivocal "we're gonna do another round of recording" and "soon is not the word".

A dog ate my homework on live TV after a shaky performance.

Ouch.

apex-twin wrote:

I think it was March 2007 to be more incisive.

It's the equivalent of a new restaurant saying come back in three months as a filibuster to open up shop and then ducking under the register when people actually show up. What a fucking horror show.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

John has the right idea here.  The energy and spirit left at some point.  Predictably really as you go through changes in your life.

There are plenty of reasons for this. When I see rock bands playing these days, aside from the money (and to me that's probably a small percentage who really bring in the bucks) it's not anything I'd want to do at my age. It looks exhausting to be honest. You're up there at 50+ years old belting out those songs you sang when you were in your 20s. You've got bills and responsibilities like anybody else, so you've got to keep plugging along. You're constantly on the move, touring by bus, plane...whatever. Hell yea you're spirit and energy are going to dip. You better bet you're going to dial it in. You'll give the audience the hits, make your signature moves and then take your tired middle aged ass back up to the hotel room.

When I see smaller bands like Slaughter or Faster Pussycat etc I almost feel sorry for them. Sure maybe some of them are still having a load of fun, but mostly they look worn the eff out to me and just trying to make it.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
zombux wrote:

yup. the 2006 band was a fucking steamroller, especially when Izzy joined them onstage and Baz was talking nonsense shit, which for some odd reason was totally cool. loved that era.

I like 2006 better than now to be honest. Sure Slash and Duff are great, but 2006 OWNED.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:
slcpunk wrote:

I like 2006 better than now to be honest. Sure Slash and Duff are great, but 2006 OWNED.

The music's clearer now with two guitarists, but... Slash, Duff and Melissa in the 2006 band, man. That would've made a hungry band even better.

Board footer