You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: New Stone Temple Pilots album out now

With their new singer Jeff Gutt. First impressions – it's good, Gutt's voice is arguably a better fit for the material than Chester Bennington, in a similar register to Weiland but a little more polished. His lyrics lack the poetic turn of phrase that Weiland could muster, though – you can't see him coming up with something as gloriously bonkers as "So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade".

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I don’t imagine any “somebody raped my tapeworm abortion” moments either...? Hahaha

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

I’ve only listened to the few singles they released on Spotify, and I thought what I’ve heard was great. Never Enough sounds like early Aerosmith crossed with the Doors. Pretty cool stuff. I’ll definitely check out the rest of the album

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

This new album is a real grower. What’s been said about their new singer is right, he doesn’t quite have the poetic edge that Weiland did, but I’ll be damned if he doesn’t channel him so closely throughout the album. There are moments you’re saying to yourself... wait, is that not Weiland...!?

All in all, this album is a solid rocker, with some standout moments, and though not quite hitting the heights of STP at their best, it is a great relaunch of an old brand, into something new. Much like AIC did with Black Gives Way to Blue

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I'm hoping Gutt grows into the role. First listen I was super impressed with how he mirrors Weiland while not copying him too much. Watching him perform with them, he's a bit... Myles Kennedy. A bit polished, a bit too clean. Needs to channel some of that Weiland passion and venom. Still, give him time.

Board footer