You are not logged in. Please register or login.

vipicius
 Rep: 6 

Re: Would you work for GN'R?

vipicius wrote:

Hello.

I've been thinking about what it would be like to do something like that, and I think it might be interesting to see what other people think about it. I saw that Wagszilla is a graphic designer and I saw what he did with "Stay of Execution", and I found it pretty cool, so I guess maybe he does not have a problem with that.

I use myself as an example, and I say I do not know if I would. I am a student of graphic design, I have not enough experience and am insecure as well as quite critical of what I do. That said, how would you feel when you were chosen to do something for the band? In my case, it could be something like a '' simple '' display poster or even a complex album cover.

Well, leaving aside only the graphic area, according to your profession, if there was the possibility of developing something for GN'R, would you accept it?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'll be an asshole and list the negatives first:

* Axl is known to fire people in a rage then rehire them the next day often
* Several people have had issues getting paid after working for the band
* The band is involved in litigation and disputes more than most
* Multiple people have experienced workplace bullying.
* As an employer the band didn't seem to respect a health problem bumble developed.
* Many creative projects the band started (music/videos etc) have never been released so your work may be tied up for decades or forever.

On the other hand:

* Axl and Slash are amongst the most talented musicians of multiple generations.
* GNR is a global brand with a huge history.

So basically most people would look at those pros and work for them despite the previous list of cons. That's how they get away with it!

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Based on what videographers have said about their approach (3 cameras on a stadium?!) and seeing some of the workprints (like the Better vid),

NO.

vipicius
 Rep: 6 

vipicius wrote:

The list of negative points creates a bad scenario. If you think you've only been involved in this job for a long time, the situation gets worse. Unfortunately it becomes a sad waste of time, equal to the lack of new materials.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

waste of everything - time, talents, opportunities... only thanks to a strong GNR mark they still manage to earn shitload of money, so they can affort to not give a fuck.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

My dream job would've been Creative Director for GN'R around 2001 to shape the New GNR brand identity, write/direct music videos, and so forth.

Any creative professional looks for creative opportunities, the degree of autonomy, work environment, and good pay.

But GN'R is in it's mature years now and swimming within safer waters. It's not really a greatly interesting prospect.

Marc Canter, Robert John, etc. all snagged the good gigs way back!

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

as a dude in the tech industry, i would absolutely love the chance to work for gn'r. specifically, i'd like to be in charge of their website and online presence. we'd all agree that gnr is pretty goddamn lacking when it comes to technology, so there's so much room to do some cool shit. i'd expand the fuck of the nightrain gimmick and actually get some content in there other than shitty, overpriced merch.

you could basically make the wwe network of gn'r and charge fans a monthly fee for unlimited streaming. for downloads, they could pay a buck a video or whatever. 20 bucks for a whole show in HD. the hardcore fans alone would be pumping enough money in here to make it worth it. it's not like all that footage is making any money sitting in vaults.

axl chats could become a regular thing to look forward to for subscribers. since it's all paying members, you could weed out out most of the trolls and get better discussions.

maybe gn'r will be hiring in a few years and give me a call. so much wasted potential here!

zombux

zombux wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

maybe gn'r will be hiring in a few years and give me a call

sure, but probably they'll need an elderly care or a coffin maker.
speaking of online presentation, I'm quite sure about a million other people thought the same as you, but it always went to poo.

Walker
 Rep: 8 

Walker wrote:

only on the condition slash and duff left the band in favor of the 2009 lineup reforming.

zombux

zombux wrote:
Walker wrote:

only on the condition slash and duff left the band in favor of the 2009 lineup reforming.

huh, I've just imagined that some kind of "Shadow company" would be here again. but this won't happen anymore, 60 years old guys won't do the same thing again.

Board footer