You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: New Slash solo album with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators incoming

monkeychow wrote:

For me it's the fact that I DO LIKE the songs slash writes that makes it hard.

They're what would have been the UYI style rockers just without Axl's lyrics.

We've been experiencing this our whole lives - "Dime Store Rock" on it's "It's 5'Oclock Somewhere",  Eponymous album's "By The Sword", i could list songs from Every slash release that would have made amazing GNR tracks if only they would co-operate.

I want to be positive about this - when you think artists only put out so much in their life time - in a way any release is a good release - but it's hard not to see the opportunity cost for GNR.

That's absolutely the problem for me, too. The thing that really makes an album for me is the lyrics and the passion in the singer's delivery. Axl has that; Scott Weiland had that; Jeff Angell has that. It's not surprising, then, that Walking Papers and Velvet Revolver are the standout projects from the GN'R solo discography. Myles Kennedy, for all his talent as a singer, doesn't have that for me – the solo songs Slash puts out with him are great riffs (albeit usually lacking that little sprinkle of production stardust that Axl would bring to the table) with banal lyrics about starlight or going down to Mexico 'cause you done killed a man over a girl.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

A sign that Axl/DC is on the verge of becoming the main priority. He's been told his calendar will be empty of GNR for awhile.

Axl/DC could easily take up 2-3 years. If ONE song becomes a hit, it's off to the races in arenas and stadiums across the globe as the top rock act. Even without a new song it would be successful but toss a hit into that mix and the oddity of a GNR/ACDC hybrid on the scene, you're looking at a major story.

I don't blame him one bit. He's not getting younger and he's got the world on his side again. Tour stadiums as GNR, do guest spots with Billy Joel types, and now he gets to be the lead singer of one of his favorite bands. It will be fresh and exciting for him.

While doing this, Slash gets to tour clubs with his solo projects. Maybe open for AC/DC.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

One other thing, in our current culture this doesn't hurt GNR in the least. It's keeping the "brand" alive. An Axl/DC tour is also a promotional tool for GNR. A little club shindig by Slash keeps it going too. By 2021-22, just put GNR back on the launch pad and everyone is ready again.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Slash to guest on an AC/DC album.

Problem solved 16

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

One other thing, in our current culture this doesn't hurt GNR in the least. It's keeping the "brand" alive. An Axl/DC tour is also a promotional tool for GNR. A little club shindig by Slash keeps it going too. By 2021-22, just put GNR back on the launch pad and everyone is ready again.

Problem with being ready again, is that Axl ain’t getting any younger, is he gonna have any voice in a few years to give us a new Guns album?

This is why it’s frustrating, instead of giving us a kickass new Guns album, he’s focusing on another band, well, supposedly

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yes.

It's negative to say but the reality is from this age onwards every year or two they will most likely get a little worse.

In my opinion slash peaked in 2012 - his playing is still phenomenal beyond a mortal by leagues - but if you analyse it it's just the smallest touch not as good in 2017 than it was previously. It's not drastic yet but how will it be 6 years from now?

Axl's 2016 performances seemed good compared to lackluster 2012-2014 efforts but even so - at his best this tour he still has not been able to sing the high parts on twat using the original melody the way he could in 2009.

He was crazy good in Ac/Dc - but you could see those songs relied heavily on the scream only - which he nailed - but GNR doesn't - and either through damage, exhaustion, or just boredom by the time the 2017 shows came around his voice was cracking and he was clearly struggling.

Now i'm not saying everything is shit. It's enjoyable anyway and i'm sure most casuals don't notice. But what I am saying is - if you analyse it - you can see the years are starting to take their toll.

Can't blame the bastards - even rock gods are human in the end. I can't do what i did 5 or 10 years ago either anymore. No hard feelings.

But we can be smart about it - and that is - basically they no longer have the time to burn like they did in the past.

In the end is it better they die with another album or having another 200 hundred performances of AFD under the belt? History deserves another album before the end - and time is ticking.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

This is all Axl’s fault. Slash is gonna waste kills riffs again on a solo album with Myles because Axl cares more about Axl/DC. So fucked up and frustrating.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

It leads me to conclude the rumor about the LA band and hit producer wasn’t true.

If you’re signing a deal, you don’t sign it 3 years in advance or as a backup plan.

So, either a deliberate misdirection troll (doubtful) or Axl/DC for a couple years followed by a GNR farewell of some sorts followed by Axl riding off into the sunset with more money than God.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Agree with Wagszilla.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Honestly don't give a shit at this point, lol. Just give us some Axl studio vocals again. I don't care if it's with Angus or Slash or Sebastian or whoever.

Board footer