You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: New Slash solo album with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators incoming

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

This "all the time in the world" sentiment is nonsense.

That's my concern.

Due to issues in my personal life I admit i'm leaning towards anxious views at the moment.

But right now Axl is 56, Slash is 52, Duff is 54.

For the modern era that's relatively young if you happen to be one of those people blessed with good genes and fortune.

But it isn't that way for everyone, for example my father died at 57 (many years back now).

These guys don't exactly have stellar medical backgrounds - we're taking decades of drug use, alcohol abuse and god knows what else.

I mean i hope they do a Keith Richards and stay alive somehow despite the odds.

But Steven Tyler at 69 - looks to be in better health than Axl at 56.....that doesn't fill me with confidence.

Let's be real - projects for Axl tend to take several years even when he's got his heart set on doing it - it took 2 years for the UYI vocals - it took 2 years from 2006 when CD was basically completed (Bumble additions) to actually get it out in 2008. So yeah...it's 2 years from when they start working on it at least probably. Maybe they could skip some of that by using older tracks and overdubbing slash - but who knows if those songs are what Axl would want to do anymore.

So I think an Ac/Dc record will be pretty awesome, but yeah, this development is not a good sign for us ever getting a GNR record.

Sorry to be so negative everyone, I just worry one day we will wake up to the news that this wait is over, and not because an album is out.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I’m not talking aging athlete syndrome or mortality, although that is a perfectly valid argument.

My point was the machine needs to build up again and continue operating full time. Stop and go didn't exactly do wonders for New GNR, yeah?  This means promo, media, live albums, fan service worth a damn, and *gasp* new albums.

Or they could sorta cobble an album together. Great. GNR does Honkin On Bobo or Just Press Play. Please, God no.

Start with a single, then an EP, then an album/tour, then a break, then another album. Instead... AC/DC.

Sp1at was right, 30 years on, what's the point? And especially not after a reunion tour that went nowhere. The latest missed golden opportunity for Axl to make good.

Same old fears, my friend, same old fears.

monkeychow wrote:

It took 2 years from 2006 when CD was basically completed (Bumble additions) to actually get it out in 2008. So yeah...it's 2 years from when they start working on it at least probably. Maybe they could skip some of that by using older tracks and overdubbing slash - but who knows if those songs are what Axl would want to do anymore.

I think Team Brazil not negotiating business deals would've been a strong opening move.

Azoff took over and it was out in 8 months (and he probably had a tour and preliminary negotiations for CD II prepped).

monkeychow wrote:

Who knows if those songs are what Axl would want to do anymore.

He probably can't sing half of the songs he recorded vocals on anymore but based off the fact he seems to get a boner during every performance of The Seeker, I think he'll probably be pretty jazzed to anything that isn't the hits.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

If Atlas Shrugged is so inconsequential, maybe do whatever legal bullshit you have to do, and throw up an MP3 on Nightrain. It would do wonders.

Would it do wonders? What are these wonders exactly?

Yes...the couple hundred people on forums would dance in their grandma's panties and rub peanut butter all over themselves for the chance to hear it. I don't see any other wonders.

Or have Fernando accidentally send a couple alts and b-sides to the loose-fingered Portuguese cabal.

Why? There's still songs circulating from the last time this happened, including Atlas Shrugged.

Fans just got to hear an early version of Madagascar a couple months ago. It was talked about for all of two seconds. I realize there's a difference between the 3rd-4th version of Madagascar and Silkworms, Atlas Shrugged, etc. but the point stays the same.

The reunion tour could and should've been a really cool celebration for GNR fans. Same for AFD30.

I'm not gonna disagree. I am blown away that there wasn't some type of release. Anything released in 2016 would've sold like hotcakes. They've needed a new GH/Best of for years. When that time passed, I realized there must be something wrong with the relationship/contract with the label. You don't just let something like 2016 and of course #AFD30  pass by with nothing unless there's a legitimate reason.

Both sides left money on the table.

The fact that the reunion has been so successful is not helping things. The fact that the industry has morphed into a monster not fully understood is not helping things either. Then take into account issues like label disputes and the hardcore fan isn't likely to be happy.

GN'R does literally nothing for their fans.

I don't call nightly 3 hour shows "literally nothing". They are giving you an insane smorgasbord that is not required. They could kill half that setlist and no one would go home mad.  At my show I was literally praying for it to end. I had long ago stopped keeping tabs on set lists so had no idea exactly what I would hear. I wanted it to be a bit of a surprise. By the time it reached hour two I had a new appreciation for what they were doing and felt it was a bit too much. Some people around me were a bit antsy. I didn't blame them. It's verging on overkill. Casual fans paying 300 bucks for tickets are not there to hear Black Hole Sun, Wichita Lineman, I Feel Good, Double Talking Jive, TWAT, list goes on and on and on.

90% of the crowd is there to hear Jungle, SCOM, PC, KOHD, and maybe NR. GNR only needs to do a 10-15 song set tops and everyone is happy, including me. What they are doing isn't just for casuals, its for us.

Name me one casual fan who wants to hear DTJ or Axl sing Black Hole Sun.

But speaking of age, The Stones released their last new album at the age Axl will be when he's done with AC/DC. The idea that he's gonna come back to GNR fat off AC/DC money rearing to get a new GNR album going is deluded. I liked The Bigger Bang, for the record.

I agree that its absolutely frightening when you look at it in those terms.  The amount of time that has went by is mind boggling.

By the way, the Stones realized you no longer needed albums to push your tours when you're on this level. They may be the first band to come to this realization. The fifteen year delay between new albums was by design. Their new album was like a popcorn fart. It likely reinforced their feelings and even if they were younger, probably would be their last album.

I think it was their swan song anyways but I wish they had used a different approach.

Is it any surprise the dogs are wolves? Or that the some of the most hardcore fans have left the boards in disgust?

No I'm not surprised by hardcore fans bailing from forums.

But I do feel that GNR was owed a comeback album - Soundgarden, Motley, VH, AC/DC - all of them used an album as part of their reunions.

Apples and bowling balls.

When this first started it did appear they were using the Soundgarden reunion as the blueprint. The roll out was nearly identical...until it came to actual releases.

As far as VH goes, their album came years after the reunion and when fan interest had went into steep decline. THey needed an album to push another tour.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

Would it do wonders? What are these wonders exactly?

The broader issue is that Guns N' Roses is a band without a future, it's only a band with a past.

If it had a future, fan service of any kind builds your brand loyalty, expands your fanbase, and creates good will.

Case in point: Axl chats. Everyone on the boards were buzzing after those puppies. Then... it fell off a cliff like usual.

kermit the Trump wrote:

I'm not gonna disagree. I am blown away that there wasn't some type of release. Anything released in 2016 would've sold like hotcakes. They've needed a new GH/Best of for years. When that time passed, I realized there must be something wrong with the relationship/contract with the label. You don't just let something like 2016 and of course #AFD30  pass by with nothing unless there's a legitimate reason.

It's not just live releases.

You can do a fan video you post on Facebook that asks a smattering of fans "Where were you in 1987 when Appetite came out"?

Like, share, subscribe. Warm fuzzies and big chubbys.

kermit the Trump wrote:

I don't call nightly 3 hour shows "literally nothing". They are giving you an insane smorgasbord that is not required. They could kill half that setlist and no one would go home mad.

Yes, the show is pretty epic, a valid point.

And yes, no one would rather hear CD songs over the hits, but all acts pimp b-sides and latest releases. I'm unmoved by their inclusions.

kermit the Trump wrote:

The fifteen year delay between new albums was by design. Their new album was like a popcorn fart. It likely reinforced their feelings and even if they were younger, probably would be their last album.

It depends on how pretentious you wanna be about it.

I know people who gave up on The Stones after Brian Jones died, some after 1980, and so forth. I like Voodoo Lounge, I like Bigger Bang. I'd give em all a fair shot and am happy to pick through the garbage. If you just want to hear Brown Sugar live, have at it, but in the 90s-00s scenario, everyone was largely winning.

The difference between The Stones and GNR is that The Stones didn't have X albums in the closet borderline ready to release. The politics, neither, but the gun has had plenty of bullets in the chamber.

This goes back to the main point: both GNR and Axl Rose's Lonely Chinese Club Band got shelved for AC/DC.

kermit the Trump wrote:

You don't just let something like 2016 and of course #AFD30  pass by with nothing unless there's a legitimate reason.

I think the rumored Azoff/Axl rift was over touring royalties. It could be that, forcing Axl to renegotiate a deal that runs counter to his interests.

But at the end of the day, Axl can find a way to get music released if he wants to.

johndivney wrote:

Seriously, anyone complaining about hearing DTJ in 2017 is someone who’d complain about not being born in 1972, is someone who’d find fault in everything.

Believe me, I love to complain. I’m fucking compulsive about complaining. But how about for once appreciating what you’ve got.
This FUCKING COMPLETE SHIT that GnR “fans” are owed something is more ridiculous than any Barney shaped/sized rumour we’ve actually lived through. Would any of you say that about or to anyone, or any other creative person/artist you know or profess to care about??!
Disappointment is one thing but ffs the expectation is absolutely out of proportion & control. Give the guy a break.

It’s turned on it’s head, from people complaining the setlist wasn’t varied enough to people complaining the setlist is too varied. What in the good fuck. The guy can’t win, whatever he does is wrong. Who does it right. U2?! They’re miserable. The Boss?! He does same sorta thing as Guns. Metallica?! Everyone hates the new stuff. Wtf would satisfy you ungrateful fucks?! Just play all new stuff in small clubs.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Seriously, anyone complaining about hearing DTJ in 2017 is someone who’d complain about not being born in 1972, is someone who’d find fault in everything.

Believe me, I love to complain. I’m fucking compulsive about complaining. But how about for once appreciating what you’ve got.
This FUCKING COMPLETE SHIT that GnR “fans” are owed something is more ridiculous than any Barney shaped/sized rumour we’ve actually lived through. Would any of you say that about or to anyone, or any other creative person/artist you know or profess to care about??!
Disappointment is one thing but ffs the expectation is absolutely out of proportion & control. Give the guy a break.

It’s turned on it’s head, from people complaining the setlist wasn’t varied enough to people complaining the setlist is too varied. What in the good fuck. The guy can’t win, whatever he does is wrong. Who does it right. U2?! They’re miserable. The Boss?! He does same sorta thing as Guns. Metallica?! Everyone hates the new stuff. Wtf would satisfy you ungrateful fucks?! Just play all new stuff in small clubs.

Oh I don’t know. Maybe for Axl NOT to treat this like a cash grab. Maybe Axl not to try harder for AC/DC. Maybe for Axl not to play that shit song “The Seeker” every damn night.

I saw this reunion 4 times. Loved every show, and really what everyone loved was seeing Slash. But Axl not doing or allowing (Slash) interviews is a big slap in the face. Keeping Frank and bringing on Melissa when Zig Zag, Sorum, Adler are all willing and able is also embarrassing. The shows were fun but this could have been so much more epic. Glad they all made a lot of money and the tour was a success but Axl was pretty damn lazy and stubborn in many ways.

Axl has always been this way. Not sure why we are surprised now. Just a shame to Piss away such a great opportunity.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

There’s some truth to what John said but I don’t agree.

New GNR kicked the can down the road from 2009-2013 and when it achieved critical mass, the band broke up and the new music which was teased was thrown in the garbage.

Then reunion. Great. Stability, popularity, Slash and Duff, and he’s done fuck all with it. And then he jumped ship to AC/DC.

It’s a giant head job.

I can imagine behind the scenes stuff, business stuff, what have you, but at some point you expect a modicum of communication.

I think everyone would be like no new album eh fair enough mate. AC/DC is a dream gig for ya? Go on and rock it out you crazy wozzer.

Instead we get stupid shit like “stay tuned for news about Chinese Democracy”, “2005 is the year of Guns N’ Roses”, “it’s this year”, “we’ll start looking very seriously in that regard”, and every vaguery from every musician who has passed through the door the last 20 years.

A wee bit frustrating. But of course par for the course.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's not being negative for the sake of it.

It's been 10 years since Axl last released an original track - and that was an entirely different band to the original act.

It's been 25 years since Axl and Slash last played on a covers album together, and 27 years since the last originals record with them both on.

I am a fan of their MUSIC - it's not unreasonable to want them to make more music. It's not like they have a huge back catalogue as it is.

One day it's going to be impossible because they will be dead - and we'll be looking at 27 years of inactivity and realise the waste.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

The broader issue is that Guns N' Roses is a band without a future, it's only a band with a past.

You could say the exact same thing about other major acts. GNR, U2, Metallica, Stones, Aerosmith, etc. Everything revolves around the rear view mirror.

It's not just live releases.

They had several options.

A new Live Era

New 2 disc GH/Best of

AFD/Lies anniversary editions

live DVD/Blu Ray

new single/song on a soundtrack

box set of demos

box set containing discography

CD II disguised as new album

an actual new album

They went with none of the above. None. It's not just frustrating on a hardcore level either. Common sense would dictate at least one of those releases, likely several. IMO it goes way beyond the typical "Axl hates his fans" or "TB doesn't know its asshole from its elbow" that fans usually blame. It goes deeper than that.

The reunion was massive news when it happened. Hell, its initial promotion was on the back of Star Wars for crying out loud. Everybody was on it like flies on a rib roast. It was trending on all social media platforms. Grannies were snake dancing down the street. Planets had aligned. It was never going to get any bigger than it was in the first half of 2016. It was a missed opportunity no matter which way the wind blows. Like I said before, the scale of this shindig did not help things in our current music climate. Songs/albums promote tours and when your tour sells out in minutes, what is it going to promote?

I know people who gave up on The Stones after Brian Jones died, some after 1980, and so forth. I like Voodoo Lounge, I like Bigger Bang. I'd give em all a fair shot and am happy to pick through the garbage. If you just want to hear Brown Sugar live, have at it, but in the 90s-00s scenario, everyone was largely winning.

I like the 80s-2000s Stones as well. Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge are two of my favorite albums from them.

With GNR and the Stones, it's different but the same. It's a touring machine capable of more than it gives.

This goes back to the main point: both GNR and Axl Rose's Lonely Chinese Club Band got shelved for AC/DC.

I don't blame him. Fronting AC/DC is some heavy bucket list/alternate universe level shit.  It also keeps him busy. The GNR machine had to throw it in neutral temporarily. Instead of going back into hiding(which is exactly what would happen), he's on the highway to hell while Slash fills the GNR downtime with a solo tour, Duff will do whatever, Melissa will sing at basketball games, etc.

I prefer a busy Axl over an Axl in hiding for years.

New GNR kicked the can down the road from 2009-2013 and when it achieved critical mass, the band broke up and the new music which was teased was thrown in the garbage.

The post CD release era of new GNR was a waste of his time. It didn't surprise me in the least when we found out he was already thinking about a reunion in 2010-11 but "it wasn't time yet". Yes Axl....it was time. The CD saga should've been wrapped up when it was released. It became obvious real quick(2009) that the second half of Chinese wasn't coming for whatever reason. It just wasn't in the cards. It became a nostalgia act and not a very good one I might add. Its when I started wanting a reunion. I was onboard his CD train until the lineup change with Ashba. It was just too much. That unique lineup of the early 2000s was being morphed into a lineup that could cater to a more casual audience.  I was done. That lineup was not assembled to be a creative entity.

Not a big fan of Ron for several reasons but I did love how he came clean with fans regarding what was really going on. Most hardcores didn't listen. I did.  In the period when Ashba, Dizzy, etc. acted like new albums were being recorded left and right and a release was just around the corner, he told us which way the wind was really blowing. He probably shouldn't have done that but I appreciated it.

I also like how he handled things with this site in those days but that's going way off topic.

DtM51
 Rep: 6 

DtM51 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Keeping Frank and bringing on Melissa when Zig Zag, Sorum, Adler are all willing and able is also embarrassing. The shows were fun but this could have been so much more epic. Glad they all made a lot of money and the tour was a success but Axl was pretty damn lazy and stubborn in many ways.

I'm not sure this is a reunion. Whatever this could be really depends on why the 2 guitarists, DJ and Ron, left at the end of the Vegas shows. If they left for the reasons they said they left for, essentially wanting to write their own music/parts, Axl who stated how he liked what the previous lineup was doing and "has stuff together", and he has played the stuff for Duff and Slash and they "like it and they may be on it". All signs in my opinion point toward Axl possibly being surprised by his two guitarists leaving, realizing that there just was no point in trying to get the public to try and accept some other guitarist who also isn't Slash. Plus the negative feelings they had had mostly dissipated. So no need to have Zig Zag, Sorum, Adler, whoever come back. Because it wasn't meant to be a reunion and why would you want to kick out players that have already laid down all their tracks for CD2?

On the other hand it could also depend on when Paul Tollett started talking to Axl about Coachella....

Board footer