You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Abbey_Road
 Rep: 16 

Re: Please clarify something for me

Abbey_Road wrote:

madgas and others say that CD will come out on Univeral/Interscope. 

But, if you look at Angel Down, it says "Axl Rose appears courtesy of Geffen Records".

Could this be part of the delay in CD coming out because this is one of the legal things delaying it?

Or am I just confused

bucketfoot
 Rep: 4 

bucketfoot wrote:

Geffen is owned by Universal Music Group.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i always say that geffen/universal/interscope are interchangable...we don't know exactly which label its gonna be out on though different people have claimed different things...i think its Russctb who has talked to people in the company who say that Interscope is gonna be the one to be the flagship for CD...but until its announced we dont know for sure

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

yep....what Neemo and Russ said. Technically, Gnr is still with Geffen as the last official release-Greatest Hits-was released by Geffen. If Axl is looking for a new deal, he is probably trying to get with Interscope as it is a bigger label with more promotional muscle and Jimmy Iovine behind it. However, Geffen and Interscope are both owned by Universal. My guess goes with Russ that the album will eventually come out on Interscope.:cool:

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

That's right.

GNR is and always has been at Geffen's roster, but the corporate merger with Seagram in January '99 left Geffen asset-stripped, which is why it survived as an imprint, but the major artists were put under Interscope staff, with Jimmy Iovine in the helm. This is why Live Era is released by "Interscope Geffen". Then again, one of the restructured Geffen's first major projects was the End of Days soundtrack, yet OMG was mixed and prepared by Axl and Jimmy Iovine (of Interscope)!. Confused? Don't be. During Geffen's lesser days GNR remained in their roster, but Universal wisely acknowledged that the imprint couldn't support their major artists well enough in the current situation - hence Interscope was called to step in and act as a surrogate.

In mid-2003, Geffen was relaunched as more autonomical label with more push from Universal. Now they were again resourceful enough to deal with their roster - GNR (among others) was switched back from Interscope/Iovine to Geffen, and Axl would once again respond to them regarding the album. Of course their honeymoon was brief, as it took roughly six months for Geffen to terminate CD's funding. GH was again a completely Geffen-based release, as they wanted to push their revival with albums from their biggest sellers. It would've been GH or CD, and we know that story ended.

Currently, Geffen has been back in the game for nearly five years, and the grapevine says trouble is afoot (again). It's very likely that they'll be facing a similar situation than in '99, with several of their artists to be switched to Interscope or dropped altogether (as what happened to Duff and Izzy back in the day). Therefore, if GNR has to make a new deal regarding CD's release (while their recording contract probably still stands - no news of the opposite), it's very likely Axl negotiates with Universal/Interscope, as it looks like that the band would be placed back under Jimmy Iovine's care anyway.

Their contract is with Geffen, but that doesn't mean they have to deal with them much.

Board footer