You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: NFL 2019

misterID wrote:

I just saw the Lions traded Matt Stafford to the LA RAMS in exchange for Jared Goff and two (TWO!) first round draft picks. Holy shit... Well, good for the Lions. I've thought they needed to trade Stafford for years, but I never thought they'd get that kind of hall. Even if Goff bombs, it's basically a free young QB to take a flyer on. I wouldn't have given up on him this early, but that doesn't matter now. I

Now lets see where Carson Wentz goes. My bet is New England.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I'll add Mitch Trubisky, also. I think the Goff trade will really throw a wrench in things in terms of perceived value. He was traded for virtually nothing, just a bow on the package, for a 30+ old QB who's never shown he can win the big game.

I just read Deshaun Watson is next.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

That trade still doesn't make any sense to me!

Goff is ok, not a total bust or terrible. I would think him straight up for Stafford is a deal, although, I think Goffs contract has some cap hit issues another team wouldn't want to take on, he almost needs to be the starter for 2-3 years. So they needed to add on some picks for the Lions to take him on. But 2 first rd picks??

Could become an awful trade for the Rams. Seems they almost did it out of spite to ship him to Detroit. Which, if he was a total headcase I could see, myb I don't follow them enough but I don't think he is.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

I haven’t checked lately but LA was mortgaged up to the hilt. They’re in “win now” mode so the draft picks are a casualty.

It seems like a mutually beneficial thing. Detroit has stock to rebuild properly, Stafford got out of Detroit and to LA where he owns a house.

Goff is not good though.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Goff is not good though.

He's not terrible. I mean, is 31/32 year old Stafford even worth 2 1st rd picks at this point in his career?  Let alone two 1st rounders AND Goff?!

Detroit could do some major damage in the draft if they have their own picks too (not sure if they do).  2 first rounders this year, OL, WR & D in the 2nd rd, next year DL, LB and OL in 2nd round. Or something like that.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Stafford is worth an Al Davis first round pick with that arm. But geeze... There's zero risk with Goff for Detroit. The kid is talented but young. I was CONVINCED Alex Smith, Ryan Tannhehill and Jeff Allen were incredibly talented and just needed time and the right system to really show what they had, even through all the years people thought they were garbage. I think Goff has the chance to blossom. The issue is, nowadays, teams have no patience to develop a QB when they struggle in that third year.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

I just saw the Lions traded Matt Stafford to the LA RAMS in exchange for Jared Goff and two (TWO!) first round draft picks. Holy shit... Well, good for the Lions. I've thought they needed to trade Stafford for years, but I never thought they'd get that kind of hall. Even if Goff bombs, it's basically a free young QB to take a flyer on. I wouldn't have given up on him this early, but that doesn't matter now. I

Now lets see where Carson Wentz goes. My bet is New England.

There are at lot of teams that need a good qb.  Wentz isn't likely to be traded given that they more or less chose him over Pederson.

misterID wrote:

I'll add Mitch Trubisky, also. I think the Goff trade will really throw a wrench in things in terms of perceived value. He was traded for virtually nothing, just a bow on the package, for a 30+ old QB who's never shown he can win the big game.

I just read Deshaun Watson is next.

Trubisky is a free agent.  Goff was traded and they more or less had to attach a first rounder because his short term contract is pretty bad.  DET is scheduled to pay him something like 43 million dollars in guaranteed money this year.  The Lions can cut him next year if they choose.

PaSnow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Goff is not good though.

He's not terrible. I mean, is 31/32 year old Stafford even worth 2 1st rd picks at this point in his career?  Let alone two 1st rounders AND Goff?!

Detroit could do some major damage in the draft if they have their own picks too (not sure if they do).  2 first rounders this year, OL, WR & D in the 2nd rd, next year DL, LB and OL in 2nd round. Or something like that.

Wags is right.  Goff is pretty mediocre.  I watch him play a fair amount.  He usually falls apart if he has to scan the field and read the defenses.  He looks great when the first read or option from the McVay playcall is open.  He throws a pretty pass too.  He's basically holding the Rams back at this point.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Goff is not good though.

It's difficult to evaluate Stafford because he's in Detriot...it's a losing culture with no end in sight and a list of head coaches who were total busts themselves.

I will say that if Kalil Mack was worth 2 first rounders then Stafford is absolutely worth 2 first rounders. He's a significant upgrade from Goff and I expect the guy to play another 5 years at least.

I've never been impressed with Goff and quite frankly I'm starting to realize that draft picks themselves are over-valued. The whole thing is a crap shoot even for the best scouts and GM. I am coming more and more around to this idea that trading first round picks for a known commodity is the way to go. 3-4 years of production from a known commodity is better than gambling with draft picks and I think you'll see it more and more.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Goff is not good though.

Yea I mean...there's just no guarantees in the draft. The only rounds that matter are really 1-5. The 6th and 7th picks rarely make teams. Go back and check the past few years of first round picks. There are as many busts as there are players that pain out. Even in the top 10.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I will say that if Kalil Mack was worth 2 first rounders then Stafford is absolutely worth 2 first rounders. He's a significant upgrade from Goff and I expect the guy to play another 5 years at least.

I've never been impressed with Goff and quite frankly I'm starting to realize that draft picks themselves are over-valued. The whole thing is a crap shoot even for the best scouts and GM. I am coming more and more around to this idea that trading first round picks for a known commodity is the way to go. 3-4 years of production from a known commodity is better than gambling with draft picks and I think you'll see it more and more.

I agree.  Certain positions in football are very really hard to acquire in the draft.  #1 game changing pass rusher (like Mack, still can't believe were stupid enough to trade him in his prime), shutdown CB, maybe LT and franchise qb.  The Rams traded picks for a CB in his prime that is a shutdown cb and now a top 15 qb.

What are the odds that they would have been able to acquire that with their draft picks which weren't high?  Very low since they are a good team.  In that aspect, draft picks are over rated.  I mean they aren't trading these picks for a G or ILB.  QB's have a huge bust rate but the NFL has placed so much importance on the position, you have to try to get one by any means.

Board footer