You are not logged in. Please register or login.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

Re: Rough Mixes Disc 1

wasted wrote:
James wrote:

That reminds me....

Did Madison ever come clean on what Axl told her the single would be in 2002?

You're right. Atlas is amazing. Shocked it gets very little fanfare.

It’s that’s special song you need to hang an album on. The SCOM, DC, TIL - those songs aren’t exactly my favorites (in fact DC disgust me) but they have something really undeniable about them in a broader sense. Atlas has that thing where it could mean a lot of different things to different people. Universal is what I’m trying to say I think. It’s not crazy like Silkworms or some massive deep epic, it’s catchy but also is emoting something you feel like you understand. I made that triple espresso extra strong.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Sky Dog nailed it on Atlas....

This is the song for Dylan(Steph's son).

Axl made that comment 20 years ago about wanting Dylan to hear the record so Dylan would understand.

Cue fanbase making jokes about the concept record for Dylan and Steph.

It wasn't an album meant to convey his feelings towards Dylan....it was a song.

That song is Atlas.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
James wrote:

Sky Dog nailed it on Atlas....

This is the song for Dylan(Steph's son).

Axl made that comment 20 years ago about wanting Dylan to hear the record so Dylan would understand.

Cue fanbase making jokes about the concept record for Dylan and Steph.

It wasn't an album meant to convey his feelings towards Dylan....it was a song.

That song is Atlas.

Can you elaborate? Not familiar with this.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Is Perhaps perhaps the best song of this era? I am certainly in love with it.

I'm in the same boat sir. I'm down with so many of these tracks, but i could listen to perhaps on repeat until the cows come home.

James

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Can you elaborate? Not familiar with this.

In 1991, Rose had fallen madly in love with Seymour and had become extremely attached to her three-year old son Dylan, but in 1993 Seymour abruptly left Rose to marry multi-millionaire businessman Peter Brandt. According to his few current confidantes, Rose is still hopelessly smitten with Seymour: the new age psychics whom he has employed continuously over the past 12 years claim she is his eternal soulmate and that they have been together in past lives.

And  in the only print interview he has given over the past 10 years, with Rolling Stone in early 2000, he stressed that the lyrics to most of Chinese Democracy, the never-ending forthcoming Guns N'Roses album, will tell his side of the Seymour affair. "I hope [Seymour's son Dylan] hears it when he grows up, if he ever wants to know the whole truth."

nk30zsyq307lszqk.jpg

That's all I can find at the moment.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

I still contend it’s about Robin.

The lyrics are borderline at times but the other half is plainly talking about someone living an adult life already. Not someone who is 10 years old.

The Dylan song was TWAT. There was a time I would’ve done everything for your mom but she blows guys to further her career and married a piggy after me. IRS the fuck the old band song. I will take my hatred to the highest court in the land!

Not a coincidence those were the songs demoed for Rolling Stone, my peeps!

And that was Axl’s power play. Didn’t have the stones or the vision to go the Napster route.

James

James wrote:

Why would he write something like that for Robin in 99-00? I know he departed temporarily but I'm clearly missing massive amounts of context.

If he's just writing about ex band members and two ex girlfriends/wives, for the love of God keep the instrumentals flowing like the salmon of Capistrano.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:

“Shelter for the blind / managed to be kind / show me how to keep it together” doesn’t make sense for a 10 year old. Or more obviously “what it takes to be a man”.

Why would a 10 year old’s shoulders shrug?

And besides, the comment was about Dylan learning the truth, not about Dylan himself.

Robin was his Randy Rhodes. His lifeline. The savior of his career. And Axl’s loyalty runs deep. The new bromance was real. He wasn’t hanging all over Bucket in Vegas.

tumblr_mezf71CNqT1r6u00no1_400.jpg

That’s love.

James

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

“Shelter for the blind / managed to be kind / show me how to keep it together” doesn’t make sense for a 10 year old. Or more obviously “what it takes to be a man”.

It makes perfect sense. A person will sometimes go to great lengths to save a relationship for a child's sake...which fits that section perfectly.

Why would a 10 year old's shoulders shrug?

Because a child can't comprehend the complexities of an adult relationship.

A child's shoulders are not wide enough to carry the load.

And besides, the comment was about Dylan learning the truth, not about Dylan himself.

Pretty sure there's a quote somewhere about him understanding...which by coincidence (or not) is mentioned in the song.

Finck his Randy Rhodes? Come on. Finck practically forced himself back in and this is what led to the 3 guitarist lineup.

I give Finck his props...you know I love that lineup...but there's only one dominating these sessions and it's not Finck.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:

Axl literally said Finck was his Randy Rhodes

Board footer