You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The Best of Rough Mixes Disc 1, Elimination Series Round 3

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I still love this version of There Was A Time even without Bucket. Although obviously Bucket took it to another level at some point after this..

I love that Bucket outro as well, easily one of the highlights of the actual album, but....

I'm fine with it as is. Have to remember....

If this 2000 Intentions album comes out, none of the Bucket contributions to this set of songs ever exists.

A person can't pine for something that does not exist.

If any song truly suffers from his absence, it's the completely overhauled IRS. Having said that, this song is also fine without him but in this specific case, it doesn't appear to have been 'A-listed' yet and wouldn't have been on the album.  That means he might have been able to contribute to the song later.

Another one is Riad. His solo and outro are monstrous but again.....the song works without him.

I was actually shocked when hearing it because I always thought this was basically a Bucket track....yet it was ready for launch without his presence.

Speaking of terrible first verses, I don't think anything compares to the cheese of Prostitute.

Bri was right about his general complaint regarding this first version of the album:

The lack of solos.

It doesn't bother me as much, especially considering the timeframe these tracks originate and the bands that were clearly influences(Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, NIN, STP). These bands with amazing discographies were not known for their epic solos.

I voted off Atlas Shrugged, albeit with great hesitation

IMO one of the best songs on this version of the album. Only scenario I can imagine voting for it is if it's up against the title track.

Vote off your least favorite track

Madagascar 4%
There Was A Time 33%
Atlas Shrugged 15%
Perhaps 4%
Prostitute 15%
Catcher in the Rye 11%
Chinese Democracy 7%
The Blues 11%
Total votes: 27

Sky Dog wrote:

Call me crazy but the Rolling Stone article that I posted from February 2000 mentions Bucket being on the scene. How do we know he isn’t on some of these March tracks? In fact, when David Wild listens to the songs he mentions he says it was in the previous November that he met with Axl in the studio.

James

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Call me crazy but the Rolling Stone article that I posted from February 2000 mentions Bucket being on the scene. How do we know he isn’t on some of these March tracks? In fact, when David Wild listens to the songs he mentions he says it was in the previous November that he met with Axl in the studio.

The only one he appears to be on is Madagascar.

You make a good point but if he's on them, what are his contributions? None of his work on the songs later on is represented here.

The specific dates for specific songs does seem to muddy the waters. We need answers.

Shackler's Revenge is dated 9/14/00

Chinese Democracy is 11/5/00

What's the frequency, Kenneth??

Edit

Looking at all the dates and I'm starting to wonder if the initial plan was to bring him in for work on the next album, that went to shit in 2000, so he got to work on previously finished tracks. By the time the club shows and Rio happen, his contributions to that specific material are now heard.

Sky Dog wrote:

Riad solo is pretty fucking savage...that and Maddy? Either way Riad is wicked here. I simply don’t get how Gnr fans don’t like this song. hmm

James

James wrote:

I don't get it either. It wound up being one of the few balls to the wall rockers we got.

CD and Riad were highlights of the 2008 leaks and album and rewinding the project to the year 2000, they're still highlights.

The more I focus on these dates, the more confusing and interesting it gets.

Soul Monster predates everything on disc 1.

How is that possible?

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

I voted off The Blues. Not the best take on the song imo. I don't like Robin's lead bits except for his solo. The guitars come in way earlier on this mix. When comparing this version to the rest of the tracks on RMCD1, it just feels a bit subpar to me. A great song that still feels unpolished.

AtariLegend wrote:

My assumption is that the dates are just mix dates and nothing should be read into them in regards of the recording dates. The May tracks were from November and I assume all vocal tracks on these discs except the guided vocals of Quick Song, existed in some form in 99.

As for Bucket, he supposedly only met Axl for the first time on Christmas 99. Therefore he can't be on them. The non Bucket mixes from March must be before August 99 (when Finck left for a while).

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:

Chi dem isn’t great here and Twat is a little off. The looseness worked on Riad, The Blues maybe Catcher and Atlas and Perhaps are fine. I think a lot has to do with changing production values, in 2000 all these would sound about right, they are rough mixes after all. I’m not voting the song, i’m Voting on the version.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Riad solo is pretty fucking savage...that and Maddy? Either way Riad is wicked here. I simply don’t get how Gnr fans don’t like this song. hmm

They wanted hard rock, Axl doing nu metal was heresy. For some. I rationalized it as not being the songs, but the sound that people didn’t like. GNR were the last bastion of hard rock or classic rock, some hated alt bands and nu metal then Axl made an album with Alt rock guitarists. There’s about 17 sub genres of new Guns haters.

Sky Dog wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

My assumption is that the dates are just mix dates and nothing should be read into them in regards of the recording dates. The May tracks were from November and I assume all vocal tracks on these discs except the guided vocals of Quick Song, existed in some form in 99.

As for Bucket, he supposedly only met Axl for the first time on Christmas 99. Therefore he can't be on them. The non Bucket mixes from March must be before August 99 (when Finck left for a while).

...makes sense

Board footer