You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Rough Mixes Disc 2

James wrote:

Listening again.

Can definitely picture this as a Bucket/Brain/Scaturro piece.

The drum sound on this is incredible. So subtle and a nice contrast to the rest of the song.

James

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

James I think Shacklers was inspired by horror movies with those sounds. .

definitely horror and a true sequel to Shackler.

I now think the batshit crazy  Riad outro may have been brought in from an undated Praxis session.

It always felt too Transmutation and that's probably because it is.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

It’s a subtle thing but the synth makes this just as much as that killer guitar riff.

It’s more upbeat in comparison to the more one-note and morose album version.

Even more insane is this is v1. Same with Robin on 3$P.

James

James wrote:

The album version completely neutured the song....

Which is sadly a pattern in this saga.

This is why 2000-04 is everything.

It was only downhill from there.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

"I'm Sorry" lives up to Bas' hype all those years ago. The album version ... not so much.

Having attended the 2002 tour, my impression was that Axl was having to prove himself to the world all over again. The West Coast gig I attended was in a half-sold arena. They cordoned off the back.

All that being said, the new songs sounded great, Axl sounded great, and at the time it seemed like the album would be out imminently. As they moved eastward, they sold out a lot of gigs.

Supposedly (this was the rumor at the time) after MSG Axl stayed up and listened to Howard Stern's radio show in the morning, and some of the cast was making fun of how he looked. That was said to be the reason for him going into a rage or depression, and the rest of the dates being cancelled.

When THAT happened, nobody could write off the riot and cancellation in Vancouver as an aberration any more. Public and fan sentiment began to turn against the group really quickly. It was a real bummer to live through, having had hopes raised so high just a few weeks earlier.

James

James wrote:

I remember counting the days until the San Jose date. Then Philly happened....

Still pisses me off I never got to see that lineup.

There were so few chances.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:

Which one was it that Axl didn’t get into a club because he was wearing a fur coat so he went back to hotel and barricaded himself in?

I think that was a rumor that covered that Ezrin had shot down the album Axl said was ready to mix. So he knew they needed more studio time.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
James wrote:

I didn't even think of Scaturro.

Sorry and Shackler's demos may not even be GNR songs but a Giant Robot Production instead simply brought to the sessions.

The plot thickens....

I mentioned this in one of these dozens of threads. With Brain, Bucket and Scaturro, you’ve basically got Giant Robot.

James

James wrote:

Yeah and I'm starting to wonder about some of these other songs as well. I think it was you or another bucket bot that pointed out that the bass on some of the tracks does not sound like Stinson.

We may also be seeing an element of the so called 'shadow lineups' concept.

They're not really GNR lineups but various lineups of musicians bringing songs to the table.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:

It’s almost like Axl got Bucket to make him a few private Bucket albums.

And I just remembered Ron actually said a lot of stuff was basically like Scraped soundwise.

But Ron also said he played on a bunch of unreleased songs.

Board footer