You are not logged in. Please register or login.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

Re: Rough Mixes Disc 2

wasted wrote:

I really see Axl driving his Ferrari down the Pacific Coast Highway to track 1 of Disc 2.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Did Prom Violence meld into Shacklers? It kind of sounds like it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I can see them coming up with this material like this....
[youtube]]kYQ89US4YGk[/youtube]

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Did Prom Violence meld into Shacklers? It kind of sounds like it.

As Cheech would say.....

Different but the same.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
James wrote:

Yeah and I'm starting to wonder about some of these other songs as well. I think it was you or another bucket bot that pointed out that the bass on some of the tracks does not sound like Stinson.

We may also be seeing an element of the so called 'shadow lineups' concept.

They're not really GNR lineups but various lineups of musicians bringing songs to the table.

Interesting you mention that. I was just wondering if that's why some of the songs are listed as "B. Head CD" at the end. That these were tracks that were brought in, and already demo-ed out.

James

James wrote:

Methinks so. Yeah...two Bucket discs, at LEAST.

Jump Man is Bucket/Scaturro and that's originally sourced from these sessions.

We're right. There were Bucket/Scaturro/Brain sessions jamming the fuck out of a bunch of songs and taking them to the Chinese potluck. Some were used, some weren't.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

You can really hear it even in tracks like PRL. Sound like straight up BH material from the same era. (Still trying to figure out how PRL and Thyme fit together. I'm not hearing it.)

James

James wrote:
strat0 wrote:

You can really hear it even in tracks like PRL. Sound like straight up BH material from the same era. (Still trying to figure out how PRL and Thyme fit together. I'm not hearing it.)

I don't hear it either...and good call on PRL.

Another thing....some of the stuff people are crediting Pitman with on these tracks could be Eric Caudieux or Scaturro....maybe both.

Sky Dog wrote:

It’s a train wreck in the end.....too many people involved in the project...too many ideas....too many opinions....too many choices. It’s just a mess as evidenced by the wide variety of material on these discs. Ultimately the album that came out of this sounds like a compilation record. axl

James

James wrote:

Funny you say too many people involved (and you're right) cause I was looking for that old Cornell quote about too many cooks in the kitchen.

Not to get into the name thing but it kinda reaches a point where....

What IS GNR? WHO is it?

When you reach the point of Shadow lineups within Shadow lineups and material showing up on solo/side projects, does the right hand know what the left hand is doing?

This type of thing goes back to 97 with Chris Vrenna and whoeverthefuck leading to Tool side projects recording albums to Shaq raps with Dizzy and Tobias to the Giant Robot guys jamming on the Chinese dime and cherry picking tracks. Then we've got harps, piano tuners, only thing missing is a nude midget entourage.

14 million adds up really quick.

On the other hand....

Can you blame them? All dressed up for Chinese and nowhere to go.

You're right...the Village sessions are bat shit. It's probably a miracle they got as many decent tracks out of it as they did.

Board footer