You are not logged in. Please register or login.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

Re: Rough Mixes Disc 2

wasted wrote:
James wrote:

Funny you say too many people involved (and you're right) cause I was looking for that old Cornell quote about too many cooks in the kitchen.

Not to get into the name thing but it kinda reaches a point where....

What IS GNR? WHO is it?

When you reach the point of Shadow lineups within Shadow lineups and material showing up on solo/side projects, does the right hand know what the left hand is doing?

This type of thing goes back to 97 with Chris Vrenna and whoeverthefuck leading to Tool side projects recording albums to Shaq raps with Dizzy and Tobias to the Giant Robot guys jamming on the Chinese dime and cherry picking tracks. Then we've got harps, piano tuners, only thing missing is a nude midget entourage.

14 million adds up really quick.

On the other hand....

Can you blame them? All dressed up for Chinese and nowhere to go.

You're right...the Village sessions are bat shit. It's probably a miracle they got as many decent tracks out of it as they did.

I was thinking how will Axl get a vocal on Quick Song? So he did, but nothing expansive. As part of a triple album it’s pretty awesome opener on like a Chili Peppers album. Californication comes to mind.

I do think they were just over charged for hiring stuff and studio time. But they 10 mil to blow left over from the UYI plus it was meant to sell 20 mil. Conspiracy theory #214 maybe recomp was putting Axl in debt to force into getting Slash back.

I think there’s something to not having songwriters in the mix like Izzy. Going back to Snakepit era GNR, Tobias is there to write with Axl cos Slash is going full Draw the Line. So Axl is the only vocal melody in da house. So what else is there to do but go The Last Movie in the studio. Pure indulgent artistic process. But it’s endless, listening to Shanklers it’s maybe instructional to see how Costsnzo Evil Empire’d that track for the final version.

That’s most people’s problem, it’s too tight and polished, maybe too soundtracky. But to balance out all the styles maybe that really was key to pulling all that excess together. To end up with this crazy artistic album that is palatable to mainstream rock some decisions had to be made.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

AFD has a strong identity. Hard rock party album with a great swing.

CD does too. Multi-layered alt rock pop with a huge sound.

The rockers on CD are weak as hell. It’s not where Axl’s head was at. RMCD#1 hit the main vein.

The problem is AFD was huge and the whole thing went to everybody’s heads. Neither Classic or New Guns went through the fire of 2-3 average to good albums to hone down voice and identity.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

It’s a train wreck in the end.....too many people involved in the project...too many ideas....too many opinions....too many choices. It’s just a mess as evidenced by the wide variety of material on these discs. Ultimately the album that came out of this sounds like a compilation record. axl

Well stated. Yeah, This as a whole sounds like a hired gun 40 track vault. Kinda like a Steely Dan, 1 or 2 main people, with 8 others playing & giving input. SD was more streamlined & official, this sounds like a band where the lead & singer wouldn't show for weeks at a time or until 4am, so the band often played on their own as an aside. 16

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Just started listening to RM2 properly

Sorry has a Led Zep 'No Quarter' vibe to me. Love the crazy drums swell

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Well stated. Yeah, This as a whole sounds like a hired gun 40 track vault. Kinda like a Steely Dan, 1 or 2 main people, with 8 others playing & giving input. SD was more streamlined & official, this sounds like a band where the lead & singer wouldn't show for weeks at a time or until 4am, so the band often played on their own as an aside. 16

Good call on Steely Dan. It really was like Steely Dan on crack cocaine, shitty management, and no one in charge.

The story about Peg was crazy. They demanded a perfect solo for it and everyone and their Grandma came in and laid down a take. It was never good enough. Forgot how much time exactly but Graydon came in and nailed it.

That song is amazing. Song reminds me of being 3 years old and walking up to those old soda machines and pulling on glass bottles of Coke at the laundromat.

The world is right....Aja one of if not THE greatest sounding album in history.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Scabbie's right about No Quarter.

When I heard that as a teen it made me think of death too.

wasted

wasted wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

AFD has a strong identity. Hard rock party album with a great swing.

CD does too. Multi-layered alt rock pop with a huge sound.

The rockers on CD are weak as hell. It’s not where Axl’s head was at. RMCD#1 hit the main vein.

The problem is AFD was huge and the whole thing went to everybody’s heads. Neither Classic or New Guns went through the fire of 2-3 average to good albums to hone down voice and identity.

The AFD elements of CD songs like CD, Shacklers, Better, Scraped are well hidden. And that was what CD was about. Either working Shanklers to a nu metal YCBM or Ramping up The Blues to the production of Faith No More. These stylistic opposites blending to the point you don’t hear it.

I think GNR seem to do their honing in secret sessions, not sure if it’s conscious but they aren’t trying to make the same record twice. Really it’s Axl, he’s said that. Partly it’s scrutiny maybe. But to stay on top they had to stay ahead. Harder and harder to do.

And maybe they had another disc of CD but after awhile you start to think this Bucket stuff could be it’s own Zepp Korn album.

wasted

wasted wrote:
James wrote:

Scabbie's right about No Quarter.

When I heard that as a teen it made me think of death too.

I think the first time I heard No Quarter was on some animated Lord of the Rings movie, it was the music for a Black Riders scene. So it kind of had this dark cool danger too it.

But after getting the Remasters, I started to recognize Zepp have this way of sounding ancient and futuristic at once. Even though AFD was out Zepp still sounded like aliens from the future. Timeless across dimensions.

That’s kind of what I hear from Bucket here and there. Traditional rock songs but with some futuristic feel. Like when he unloads on Sorry, that’s from the future that’s not something happening now.

wasted

wasted wrote:
misterID wrote:

Did Prom Violence meld into Shacklers? It kind of sounds like it.

I think Bucket has a range of backwards reverse highway riffs. I was on the train trying to work out what it sounds like. It’s Rob zombie meets Trance beats. It’s very fast but not heavy riffing. Mustache is like that too. A new Perfect Crime but this time it’s a diamond sickle. It’s slicing through the fields of corn.

wasted

wasted wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

It’s a train wreck in the end.....too many people involved in the project...too many ideas....too many opinions....too many choices. It’s just a mess as evidenced by the wide variety of material on these discs. Ultimately the album that came out of this sounds like a compilation record. axl

That’s a very 90s early 90s thing. NIN and QOTSA were collectives. Axl cast himself as Trent or Homme. Not as huge figurehead, but as the focal point of an array of musicians. There is almost maybe an extra dimension of Axl wanting them to go wild and build walls of sound for him to get inspired by. But he also ended collabing with each guy’s songs. This process has pros and cons. Letting Bucket do what he wanted paid off more than just saying here’s my song play it. But working Shacklers up from that very wild demo to the GNR track was probably a lot of work.

Board footer