You are not logged in. Please register or login.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

Re: Rough Mixes Disc 2

wasted wrote:
James wrote:

I was referring to the title track.

It simply has too much going on for what it is. Only thing missing is Miss Piggy on the tuba...

And she's probably buried in the mix.

One thing did like however small added to the album was the brief crowd noise at the beginning of Riad. Fans had spent years whining about the crowd noise on the bootlegs.

Someone had a sense of humor.

I sort of like the album version and Shack and Better for the horsepower. A lot of the intricacies of the material got mown down for sheer brute force. There’s still stuff going on but it focuses on being a missile, having momentum. I think it was probably important to come out swinging on this big GNR album and scrutiny it was under. It’s almost like Axl understood his job too much, or he got there after the first versions avant garde In through the Out door leanings, Ezrin maybe woke him up to what people expected. It can’t be too indulgent, you’re going into a war zone. You need weapons. And actually he was right it was Catcher and IRS wobbly bits that caught the flack. The nice little interludes and sound effects is what people wanted stamping out. The general consensus was wanting more generic hard rock, less guitar wobbling and funky beats. So it was like making an album with Bucket then trying to make sound like UYI. Almost a futile endeavor. CD reminds of a movie. Like a big action movie and you go see it but you have very little idea how it was made, you might not like the whole movie but the script is great, all the acting is great and stunts are professional, you just din’t Like the ending or the camerawork. But there are great scenes and characters that you really enjoy, so keep watching it even though it’s not perfect.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

The CD version of Sorry just popped up on my shuffle. My god it’s a piece of shit compared to this instrumental. Why doesn’t Axl have balls?

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

After hearing early Shackler's I am really curious to hear what happened to these other instrumentals later on, some do feel like one idea looped over and over for 6 minutes even if I like them (Dub Suplex, Dummy for example). Who knows what they became!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I doubt songs like Dub Suplex became anything. Songs like that belong on Bucket solo albums.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

I doubt songs like Dub Suplex became anything. Songs like that belong on Bucket solo albums.

I wouldn't be surprised. Shackler's Revenge later becomes a song and it equally in this state sounds like something that belongs on a Bucket album.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Fair point...but Shackler's feels like a sketch of sorts. You can see how Axl/GNR fleshed that out into something else.

For comparison purposes, I'd love to hear the next stage of Shackler's. * Hint Hint*   lol

Dub Suplex is a finished song complete with intro/outro Hannibal Lecter samples. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised (and it probably is) a Giant Robot outtake as it completely fits the theme of the album.

Hell...they both belong on that album but one lacks potential as it's already done.

Listening to it now. I don't see where they could take this song. I can picture someone like Claypool spewing various verses at the music but an actual GNR song?

While we're obviously speculating, I'm gonna place this in the "stuff we never finished and probably shouldn't" category Stinson mentioned years ago.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
bigbri wrote:

The CD version of Sorry just popped up on my shuffle. My god it’s a piece of shit compared to this instrumental. Why doesn’t Axl have balls?

We need to resurrect that comment at least once a week.

The instrumental is like a jack-in-the-box that explodes in your face. The album version is a like jack-in-the-box that never pops open at all.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

there's definitely a load of stuff brought in by Bucket and obviously very heavily influenced by him. and yea I love those, no matter they are just early sketches of some songs which likely were never worked on further.
and yea I fucking love the old Sorry, the album version is very odd compared to the demo.

AtariLegend wrote:

Nevermind.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:
bigbri wrote:

We need to resurrect that comment at least once a week.

The instrumental is like a jack-in-the-box that explodes in your face. The album version is a like jack-in-the-box that never pops open at all.

I think that’s all about producing viable timeless songs, I hesitate to say hits but something like that. To go from AFD to UYI to then just experimental poppin’ Would been too much. CD coulda been a shoulda been woulda been wild ride but it was harnessed back into the Pink KISS lines.

Board footer