You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Cerulean wind
 Rep: -6 

Re: The Best of Rough Mixes Disc 2, Round 2

Tonto is the real dull track of the Motherload.

Zodiac with Freese is head and shoulders above the Mantia version.

Vote off your least favourite track

EYE ON YOU 11%
IF THE WORLD 5%
MUSTACHE 0%
QUICKSONG 5%
ZODIAC 13 0%
TONTO 21%
SHANKLER'S REVENGE 58%
I'm SORRY 0%
Total votes: 19

AtariLegend wrote:

That's the end of the elimination series for a while. No point in doing this when the polls are skewered by a geek on 3 or goodness how many other accounts.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Finish this disc.

To piggyback once again on previous comments....

QUICKSONG

It's a cool rocker that they very likely finished off later on. I prefer the Buckethead version though, simply due to this one sounding way too much like Teen Spirit (that riff). They never would have got away with just adding vocals then releasing this one without lots of questions.

For this reason I think it was dropped.

If memory serves me correctly, the very last time this song was ever mentioned was mid 2005 in a sp1at interview/article.

Even if we take into consideration the real possibility of a title change, the known song titles don't fit this track.

James might be right when he questions if that version of the band even recorded that.

List of tracks I don't believe is actually GNR....

Billionaire
Shackler's
Realdoll
Sorry
PRL
Dub Suplex
Devious Bastard
Dummy
As It Began
Thyme

While Prom Violence sounds like the band minus Axl performing a little kick ass jam in the studio, after more listens I think it's a jam from the Giant Robot Production.

Edit

Anyone hear any Finckadelic signatures on the jam? I remember in one of Finck's old interviews him mentioning working with Bucket in the studio and how frustrating it was for him due to Bucket's refusal to play the same thing twice.

2nd edit

I forgot the name of the Finck track that has that glitch. Include that in the list above.

James

James wrote:

Listening to Zodiac right now.

It just dawned on me that the 13 is in reference to the Zodiac cipher that was never solved.

Already figured it was a Bucket track but that pretty much confirms it. bucket

http://zodiackillerciphers.com/wiki/ind … %22_cipher

Declan94
 Rep: -8 

Declan94 wrote:

anyone have any real theories to what PRL really stands for?

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:
James wrote:

Listening to Zodiac right now.

It just dawned on me that the 13 is in reference to the Zodiac cipher that was never solved.

Already figured it was a Bucket track but that pretty much confirms it. bucket

http://zodiackillerciphers.com/wiki/ind … %22_cipher

That’s interesting because it could have been the Chinese Zodiac, there was a time when I thought maybe Zodiac or Quick Song were early versions of Chi dem. It was hard to believe two songs had Teen Spirit refs.

But that sort takes the song away from Axl writing about another serial killer. And Seven isn’t about the movie either?

In a way I’m disappointed. GNR should always be about serial killers, riots and being late.

Most of Axl’s vocals are personal rants and chic songs. There’s no socio-political themes. Maybe and Seven and Atlas are the closest. But it’s a quote and a title.

James

James wrote:
wasted wrote:

That’s interesting because it could have been the Chinese Zodiac, there was a time when I thought maybe Zodiac or Quick Song were early versions of Chi dem. It was hard to believe two songs had Teen Spirit refs.

But that sort takes the song away from Axl writing about another serial killer. And Seven isn’t about the movie either?

In a way I’m disappointed. GNR should always be about serial killers, riots and being late.

Most of Axl’s vocals are personal rants and chic songs. There’s no socio-political themes. Maybe and Seven and Atlas are the closest. But it’s a quote and a title.

It's rarely talked about but definitely one of the disappointments of the Chinese years...

So much happened in the world yet come to find out.....he had nothing to say about it lyrically.

OKC bombing, 9/11, war, a near Depression, massive pop culture shifts across the board.

Nada.

With song titles that insinuate grandiose themes he simply tackled personal issues that he somehow related to those themes.

It's an album not only dated musically but  its lyrical themes. It's running in place on two fronts....

The implosion of the old band/Slash

His relationships with Steph/Erin

Both of these subjects dominated his life in the 90s... and it shows in the material. It's understandable of course.

The label never should've prevented its release. By dragging it out into the next decade (and beyond) he was never able to shake the monkey off his back and even if moving on personally, it appears to have killed any artistic drive he had back then.

He described the CD saga as a nightmare...and it probably was.

For better or worse, it permanently altered his career.

He's not an artist like Cornell who just moves on from project to project seamlessly. He was stuck in Chinese purgatory too long.

I wish he did interviews and would go in depth on how those years impacted him.

I also thought Quick Song was Chinese. Still surprised it was a different song.... and a damn good one.

anyone have any real theories to what PRL really stands for

Even if it meant something at the time it's not really relevant now as PRL appears to have been dropped in favor of Thyme.

AtariLegend wrote:

We know This I Love is a Stephanie track, but I am curious about Erin tracks though. It's a shame, although understandable we'll never find out.

James

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

We know This I Love is a Stephanie track, but I am curious about Erin tracks though. It's a shame, although understandable we'll never find out.

Technically Oklahoma will be about both of them.

Declan94
 Rep: -8 

Declan94 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

it was wrote before they broke up i think it's about erin

Board footer