You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Will new music be released in 2020?

Sky Dog wrote:

That’s the point James! They didn’t give a fuck and at the time it was real!

Will new music be released in 2020?

Yes, Q1 26%
Yes, Q2 7%
Yes, Q3 2%
Yes, Q4 12%
No 52%
Total votes: 42
metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

You guys are nuts. I love that GN’R gave us so much material across two albums on UYI. I wish there was more!

And let’s face it, what one person considers a ‘bad’ song, another considers good. To me every song on UYI is saved by Slash’s fantastic guitar playing. Every song has riffing and soloing that I still listen to this day and think “fuck yeah, that’s killer”
I wouldn’t want a consolidated single UYI album, because that means we wouldn’t have all that great guitar work.

Oh, and back in high school, GITR was popular amongst me and a lot of other people. We all thought the swearing and calling out all the journos in the press was badass. I’ll admit, it sounds cheesy as hell now, but underneath that - instrumentally it’s still killer

vipicius
 Rep: 6 

vipicius wrote:

I generally like almost everything that has Axl's voice. So UYI is no exception. I think this is a amazing double album. Maybe if the 'best' ones were on just one album, it would be even more popular, but it was good as it was.
Now, I wouldn't mind that more old things were released if it didn't hinder / delay some really 'new' things. But I also want the old ones, hehe.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

. I wish there was more!

This hindsight is exactly why many fans feel this way about UYI'. Other than a small handful of covers recorded when Gilby was brought in to pad out the "punk covers EP" into a full length album and a Stones cover, it's the last thing they ever did.

Of course the shit is acceptable! We weren't getting any more.

Look at Metallica...a major act on the same level who never stopped recording. They have a very similar situation in their discography with Load-Reload.

It was almost released like UYI but was spread out across a year instead. That thing is bogged down in filler. They also did this at a time they were facing a backlash for various reasons, the Black album being a tough act to follow, etc.

It's legacy would be different had they cherry picked the best material for one short, strong, and cohesive album.

2 x 4
Until It Sleeps
King Nothing
Hero of the Day
Mama Said
Fuel
The Memory Remains
Devil's Dance
Better Than You

That's a killer album right there. You're not missing anything. The chaff would get released as B sides or released on a future anniversary edition/box set.

GNR's untimely demise and horrific mismanagement spanning decades is the only reason those Illusion turds can pass themselves off as nuggets of gold.

Of course you're right that the music is subjective and what one person considers filler is someone else's favorite song but come on....there's definitely songs on there that should've been B sides at best....left to rot in the vault at worst.

Hell.... even if you keep UYI at two albums, it could've been improved with a different track list. The only downside to this is extracting original material in favor of covers.

UYI I

Remove...

You Ain't The First
Right Next Door to Hell
Back off Bitch, Garden of Eden, or Dead Horse

Add....

Attitude
Black Leather

UYI II

Remove....

KOHD
Get in the Ring
Shotgun Blues
Don't Cry
My World

Add....

Ain't It Fun
New Rose
Down on the Farm
I Don't Care About You

Relegate the chaff as B sides. The alt Don't Cry just begs to be the B side to the Don't Cry single....not padding out the track list of a double album.

KOHD didn't belong anywhere. It's already on a soundtrack.

IF you must include it, include the live version from 88 that became an unlikely hit on top 40 radio in 1989. It was so popular it essentially forced MTV to cherry pick the song from the Ritz just so they'd have a video for the requests coming in.

No one gave the tiniest of shits about the Tom Cruise syrup version.

Shotgun Blues....did anyone REALLY need to be reminded of that lame Vince Neil VMA fiasco?

"You can suck my ass".....

....or how about just leaving it on the cutting room floor?

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

James, I’m probably biased as the board’s resident Metallica fan, but that best of Load/Reload you threw together is pretty crap. Outlaw Torn and Bleeding Me are two of the best 90’s tracks, and highly regarded by Metallica fans, too. Better Than You is rubbish as well. To say it’s one of the best, while omitting two of their best, I find it hard to take your opinion seriously... haha

Which goes back to my point, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Even Shotgun Blues

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

metallex78 wrote:

James, I’m probably biased as the board’s resident Metallica fan, but that best of Load/Reload you threw together is pretty crap. Outlaw Torn and Bleeding Me are two of the best 90’s tracks, and highly regarded by Metallica fans, too. Better Than You is rubbish as well. To say it’s one of the best, while omitting two of their best, I find it hard to take your opinion seriously... haha

Which goes back to my point, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Even Shotgun Blues

No Unforgiven II? Get in the fucking sea.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I think You Ain't The First & Dead Horse can stay, but otherwise James' list is pretty spot on. Some of those songs probably should've not been released, (Back Off Bitch, Don't Cry 2 lol). Then release an Incesticide type album in 92/93 with most of the others (GITR).

But, it's been discussed plus there is the tricky thing about CD's/Tapes back then only holding 82 minutes, would likely have to move Coma & Locomotive on the second album, which I think would be doable but I get Metallix's point, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

I love Back Off Bitch!
Juvenile lyrics aside, that slippery sloppy Slash intro riff, into that killer groove verse riff, then into a crappy chorus, but followed by some deliciously tasty Slash soloing, it’s just great!

But, if you’re not much listening for the guitar playing, I guess it wouldn’t do much for you.

And yes, Unforgiven 2 is a must for a trimmed down best of Load/Reload.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

My issue with BOB are the lyrics, juvenile & dated. Doesn't fit the UYI GnR. They'd moved on & I believe it was an AFD era or at least an attempt to go back to AFD. 

That aside, it could've been on an Incesticide style b sides album & all would be the same. The masses wouldn't miss it, and those who would would've bought the other album anyway.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I love Back Off Bitch

I like it too...but it becomes redundant in the sea of over polished, average rockers that bogs down UYI I. It's trying too hard to be AFD. We had been told for years that we've moved on from AFD.

B side it or dump it.

Back to Metallica

I hadn't listened to those two albums in their entirety in a coon's age when coming up with that trimmed down track list. Went by my memory(that remains).

Listening now....

I stand by my list above. Its a short, to the point album containing some classics and a couple good deep cuts. Is Better Than You one of their best songs? No...but it fits. It fits in the same way a song like Kickstand fits on Superunknown.

Listening to The Outlaw Torn now. It's good...love Jason's bass tone. It's almost 10 minutes. Save it as a B side or another future release.

And yes, Unforgiven 2 is a must for a trimmed down best of Load/Reload

Not really. You're not doing much trimming when including an inferior sequel to an amazing song.

Listening now.... it's not bad... it's just unnecessary.

Make it a B side to Fuel.

it could've been on an Incesticide style b sides album & all would be the same. The masses wouldn't miss it, and those who would would've bought the other album anyway

In an alternate universe...Geffen does this exact thing.

It would allow a double dipping of the material... just like with Load-Reload.

I know this is a track list forever subject to change, has been debated 30 years, and my old self would probably argue against it but here's a nice, tight UYI....

Dust N Bones
Don't Cry
Live and Let Die
Double Talking Jive
November Rain
The Garden
Don't Damn Me
Yesterdays
Pretty Tied Up
You Could Be Mine
Estranged

Not easy to get a good rocker/ballad ratio for a condensed UYI. Most rockers are fairly average or simply redundant, or they're not Axl on lead vocals, and the epic tracks themselves become redundant. If you have NR on a single album, do you really need Estranged or Breakdown? Does an album with The Garden and YCBM need Coma or Locomotive?

The main problem with saving a UYI album for 92-93 is the musical landscape has changed, the band is running on fumes and touring is the only thing keeping it going and this alternate timeline is merging into TSI...which means you're running into the same problem with too much material.

Do they condense UYI rejects and TSI into one album? tongue

It's difficult to improve how it was handled.

Listening to Live and Let Die now. Yikes. The album version is so sterile. When Axl mentioned how UYI was rushed and not finished, this has got to be one of the songs he's referring to. It has no balls. It needs to sound how it sounds live.

Speaking of Metallica, I'd like to see/hear what Bob Rock would've done with this material.

Edit

Another thing I would change... condensed track list or not....is Double Talking Jive.

Yes I love it....but with the song becoming a permanent song in the set list as if it were a hit, the studio version needed Axl on vocals.

This is probably high on the list of things he'd change. Izzy bailed immediately.

Board footer