You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Current Events Thread

monkeychow wrote:

One thought I have worrying me about it is the precedent this situation sets.

Like we have the president of the united states, the "leader of the free world" some would say, censored and forbidden to speak because the technology companies consider that he is wrong.

They say it's to prevent violence - but he didn't directly call for violence - so it's really that his viewpoint shared by much of his audience, is capable of inciting violence in some of those people even without any actual call to violence.

To me that's kinda worrying. That a technology company gets to make it's own judgement on what is or isn't true, and what may or may not cause people to become dangerous, and that it can assert that choice effectively blocking the ability of elected officials such as the president of the USA to communicate.

To me that's a conundrum of it's own. Like even for people who don't like trump. In this instance it suits them. Might even really be safer in this instance what with the mob the other day.

But do we really want to have a society where guys like zuckerberg decide if they think a head of states message is too dangerous for us to hear or not? Like the politics of this instance aside. That doesn't seem like the world we grew up in.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

You're missing the point.

One was ignited by cops unjustly killing a man.
The other was incited by a sitting President based on bs.

BLM protesters had a very valid reason to protest and was a result of dirty cops.
Trumpsters are protesting based on lies fed by Trump.

One can be justified regardless if you/i agree with it or not there is a cause there.
The other is simply unjustifiable.

Imo.

This pretty much sums it up.  To add to it, one happened. Yeah, maybe democratic politicians could've asked for calming, however trump outright shouted for this to happen minutes before. Heck, even calling people down to a rally for this stupid stuff.  There was no voter fraud, its the most long shot attempt at trying to stay in power, its absurd.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Trump and his deficit spending bubble economy....yay....

Biden is about to spend another 2-3 Trillion, he said rates were low, lol

trump spent $4 trillion.  In one year!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Like we have the president of the united states, the "leader of the free world" some would say, censored and forbidden to speak because the technology companies consider that he is wrong.

They say it's to prevent violence - but he didn't directly call for violence - so it's really that his viewpoint shared by much of his audience, is capable of inciting violence in some of those people even without any actual call to violence.

To me that's kinda worrying. That a technology company gets to make it's own judgement on what is or isn't true, and what may or may not cause people to become dangerous, and that it can assert that choice effectively blocking the ability of elected officials such as the president of the USA to communicate.

To me that's a conundrum of it's own. Like even for people who don't like trump. In this instance it suits them. Might even really be safer in this instance what with the mob the other day.

But do we really want to have a society where guys like zuckerberg decide if they think a head of states message is too dangerous for us to hear or not? Like the politics of this instance aside. That doesn't seem like the world we grew up in.

I agree with our Aussie friend. Of course it would take a non woke, non American to see how this could have a negative consequence. Thank you monkey for being objective.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Trump and his deficit spending bubble economy....yay....

Biden will try to spend way more than that. He told you that yesterday!

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

You're missing the point.

One was ignited by cops unjustly killing a man.
The other was incited by a sitting President based on bs.

BLM protesters had a very valid reason to protest and was a result of dirty cops.
Trumpsters are protesting based on lies fed by Trump.

One can be justified regardless if you/i agree with it or not there is a cause there.
The other is simply unjustifiable.

Imo.

But Trump didn’t call for violence.

The police let them in to the Capitol.

Did you even listen to his speech. A lot of fake news in this thread.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Trump was an awful President, but that doesn't absolve the media or democrats for what they've done through this shit show either. It's been seen on this board, too, people silent or making excuses for the inexcusable, because the people committing violence in the streets sort of hold your political view points, or they're against Trump. And I still can't get over those very people who either justified the violence in the streets for four years (or even the last nine months) by leftists, or just said nothing about it, are suddenly shocked, outraged, and clutching their pearls over this now. You couldn't get them or the media to even call a riot a riot. You had democrats openly calling for (crazy) citizens to harass their political foes, after a near massacre on a softball field. *crickets*

mitchejw wrote:

You supported Trump SG....you need to be held accountable.

Come off it with that shit. There's no such thing as thought crimes.

Thank you ID, if it was up to Mitch, I would be in prison and no company should ever hire me again.

Media is so fvcked on this one. But this was their plan all along. Biden will not have any opposition. They will silence it all. Very scary.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Trump policy wise was far superior to Bush 2 and Obama as well. Probably a wash with Bill Clinton.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Biden will try to spend way more than that. He told you that yesterday!

How so?

The most ever spent before was $1.5 Trillion to recover from the 2008 Too Big To Fail collapse.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yes, that's worried me, too. In an age where "words are violence" who gets to make those decisions? That is fascism. When you control speech and how it's disseminated, what else is it? You have media companies for years trying to get rid of FOX. All because of divergent opinions. Tech companies need regulation.

Btw, Iran and China are still allowed on Twitter.

Board footer