You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: GNRevolution Exclusive! Classic Rock Feb Mag Cover!

Communist China wrote:

Riyadh is the song I want to hear in studio form the most right now. It was played live imo because they felt it was one of their best songs. Yet it didn't work well. Axl pushed his range live, and the band played a very hard song live, for a reason. Axl doesn't leave his comfort zone unless he really has confidence in something. Riyadh live was a failure and he probably knew he couldn't pull off vocals that high on any given night, but the fact that he tried, to me, means it is a gem in finished studio form.

We were given in '02 only songs that were among their best. '06 leaks throw everything in question though. We were expecting new songs live and we had IRS, so they played IRS. Doesn't mean it was A-listed imo. But what was debuted in 01-02 (CD, Maddy, The Blues, Riyadh, Silkworms) I believe were the real deal.

If Silkworms and Riyadh are the "real deal", we are in trouble.  :wtf:

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

bringbackadler in 2008 wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Riyadh is the song I want to hear in studio form the most right now. It was played live imo because they felt it was one of their best songs. Yet it didn't work well. Axl pushed his range live, and the band played a very hard song live, for a reason. Axl doesn't leave his comfort zone unless he really has confidence in something. Riyadh live was a failure and he probably knew he couldn't pull off vocals that high on any given night, but the fact that he tried, to me, means it is a gem in finished studio form.

We were given in '02 only songs that were among their best. '06 leaks throw everything in question though. We were expecting new songs live and we had IRS, so they played IRS. Doesn't mean it was A-listed imo. But what was debuted in 01-02 (CD, Maddy, The Blues, Riyadh, Silkworms) I believe were the real deal.

If Silkworms and Riyadh are the "real deal", we are in trouble.  :wtf:

I think that's unfair. I mean, I thought boots of Chinese Democracy, a much more "straight-forward" song than Riyadh and Maddy, sounded mediocre to bad live in the 02 timeframe. Come 07, and the leak of a studio CD, and it stands it's own against the old catalogoue and becomes my favorite new song.

If an easier song can go from mediocre to amazing, why can't a very hard song (or two) go from very bad to quite good?

I'm not sold on Silkworms either, but Riyadh is very intriguing.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Maybe Riyadh wsslated for the 2001-2002 (first I typed 3003 tongue) release, but Silkworms was not, I'm 100% sure. It could have been on the second album with 'more agressive electronica' like Axl said in 1999. On the other hand you odn't play B-list songs on your comeback shows, so Silkworms was pretty much A-listed, but planned for the second album and Axl tested the audience.

bucketfoot
 Rep: 4 

bucketfoot wrote:

If Axl's "Oh's" when from the high-pitched squeel to a demonic rough raspy yelp, that'd be awesome.

Rhiad had great potential. IMO, the 2nd album will be a really interesting album. I think it will be a dark, moody album with some cool Pitman stuff and be along the same lines of Pink Floyd.

But then again Album #1 isn't coming out anytime soon so why get excited.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

James, this quote pretty much rejects Zutuats 11-12 song album....same time frame and I will go with the artist himself. Those 11 songs CR heard would probably have been on the record plus a few more.

"There's been some concern. That if we play five or six new songs, then there can't that many more on the album. Au contraire, mon frère. We're just playing the songs we're not considering putting out as singles or anything. So, you'll get 18 songs, and about 10 extra tracks. And when that, when the record company feels that has run its course, then you'll get it all over again. By that time, I should be done with the third album. So we'll see if all goes well boys and girls" London 2002

what don't people understand about this quote? He is not saying the songs they are playing are rejects. He is just saying that they are NOT being considered for singles at that point in time. Only A-LIST songs will be considered for release on an album. Turn to 2006 and Axl says he is working on 32 tracks. Those would be the cream of the crop, but not all necessarily considered as single material. Those 32 would be the a-list material from the Chinese Democracy recording sessions. What this also shows you is that Axl changes his mind probably every year as to what the album will have on it....because in 2006 it was a 13 song set. Now, it is 2008 and the record company is finally heavily involved with their opinions. We have NO FUCKIN CLUE exactly what will end up on this album.:headbang:  SIC must be on vacation or is prepping a 32 page master thesis on all this.:haha:

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

a) He is the artist-I think he has more of a clue as to what he wants to do than the A&r guy.  b)You obviously did not read anything I said in the second part of my post. That was my point. We don't know what the plan is now because we are already 2 years later from his last 13 song quote.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The last two sentences of that Axl statement tells the story.

"By that time, I should be done with the third album. So we'll see if all goes well boys and girls"

Fantasy land. He's talking about a third album when he hasn't even released one. I am more inclined to believe someone who was involved in the making of the record who gives us a progress report of what was done(10 or 11 almost finished tracks) than I am someone who is talking about multiple albums when he should only be dealing with one.

We heard the trilogy thing in 02 and heard it again in 07. In that 5 year window between trilogy aspirations all we have are a few leaks.

I'll take Zutuat, Ezrin, or someone else close to the project giving us a bit of info before I bite hook, line, and sinker on the trilogy talk we'll get in 2012.

As far as us "having no fucking clue" as to what will end up on the album, we aren't discussing the current album. This article deals with the 2001-02 record, and we most certainly do have a clue about what was going to be on that record. Its pretty much been spelled out for us by the past few Classic Rock mentions. Just because the track listing doesn't live up to some peoples fantasies doesn't mean we are all clueless.

Sky Dog wrote:

James, and you didn't read my post before my last one.:nervous: I said it is highly likely that the 11-12 songs CR heard would have been the majority of the 2001/2002 record....plus a few more which could easily put it in the 18 song range. Read what I say....don't just jump off the handle....

Board footer