You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: GNRevolution Exclusive! Classic Rock Feb Mag Cover!

James wrote:
elmir wrote:

what i loved is how they finally confirmed what i;ve been saying on these forums for years....that BH was the perfect and ideal replacement for Slash....both in terms of image, style, and skill.....and everyone knew that....most of all...BH knew that....

Yeah, good point. Even the article itself proves he was pretty much the Slash replacement. The article practically revolves around him with barely any mention of other band members.

Like you said though, he just took things too far. Cant be that unconventional in such a strange situation regardless of the possibility he was joking or testing their limits. Like you said, these people sniff vibes for a living. If you're sniffing dog poop at the same time, your future looks pretty bleak.

Sky Dog wrote:

James, that is possibly part of the album....but remember, Beltrami worked on the General, Seven, Thyme, and Leave It Alone in 2002 plus you had Oklahoma mentioned in 2000 by RS and This I Love.

thanks Neemo.

Another point I haven't seen made is Zutuat paraphrasing Axl saying "nobody speaks my language". In other words, he wasn't all that happy with all the material. However, it is hard for anyone to speak your language when the band is working in the studio and you are off sequested away in your mansion. You can't hear what is going on in real time so that you can immediately nix certain ideas and can only work on the stuff you hear that is interesting. No great rock artist EVER worked like that. Imagine all the cool stuff these guys came up with that Axl just didn't think would make a good Gnr record. Nuts.

James

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

James, that is possibly part of the album....but remember, Beltrami worked on the General, Seven, Thyme, and Leave It Alone in 2002 plus you had Oklahoma mentioned in 2000 by RS and This I Love.

No, that IS the album. I realize songs are missing, but when he mentions that CD would have been 11 tracks at that point in the timeline, and the magic number winds up being 11, well I'm sure you can do the math.:butt:

Also Madagas, remember that interview from 05(or maybe 04) where Stinson himself admitted back then that the CD they had been working on was not a long album.

I think its safe to assume that the Classic Rock tracklist was the album in 01/02. Could things have changed since then? Sure. Not much though, because virtually all those tracks are still being considered 7 years later.

Has anyone considered the possibility that some of those songs Beltrami worked on weren't that impressive?

Funny though how they keep going to the same well even though Merck said none of these songs were on the "A list".

You don't release B list tracks for your comeback album. At least half of what we have heard will make the album, so we are definitely listening to "A list" material.

Also interesting in the article how Axl says Madagascar wont make the album if he cant secure the right to use those quotes.

Sky Dog wrote:

Zutuat did say 11-12 tracks were ready for release...who the fuck knows..What pisses me off is that someone didn't just leak all that shit when they had the chance. 17

James

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

Another point I haven't seen made is Zutuat paraphrasing Axl saying "nobody speaks my language". In other words, he wasn't all that happy with all the material.

What makes that even sadder is how he wanted a specific drum sound and it took half a year for someone to finally come up with the idea to actually buy the album to reference the sound and realize what he wanted.

In other words, almost 10% of the wait this decade was waiting on someone to listen to a Nirvana album.

Like I said earlier, way too many hands in the cookie jar.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

they could be working on 2 albums simultaneously...if all the tracks were nearly finished in 01-02 and by jan 06 axl says that 26 are nearly done with 13 appearing on the album...I gotta go back to the trilogy comment

maybe the "A" list songs are reserved for the 2nd disk...the 1st disk will be big based on curiosity alone...the 2nd one has to support itself and build on the hype surrounding hte 2nd disk....if the 2nd album blows then there is no hype for disk 3

Where is

The General
This I love
Thyme
Seven

there are several really hyped up songs from 99-01 interviews that seem to be all but forgotten

there i stress again the 26 are nearly done comment...IF the songs listed up there are most of CD as it stands today (which BTW it has already been stated that Silkworms will not be on the album)

we've heard like 9 tracks...so there are 16 tracks we havent heard makes ya wonder

James

James wrote:

There is no second album if the first doesn't hit a home run, so it would be counterproductive to load all the B list shit on the album that will make or break this band.

Yeah there are songs that didn't make it on to that 11 track list, but maybe they aren't good enough for the first album. Axl has been working on This I Love since 92. If it wasn't even close to being ready in 01-02, then the potential of the song cant possibly be as great as previously thought. Maybe we should take Ezrin's word for it that it was a bland, stale NR ripoff(someone else might have said that).

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

There is no second album if the first doesn't hit a home run, so it would be counterproductive to load all the B list shit on the album that will make or break this band.

but like i said the quality of songs has nothign to do with the potential sales of CD...the sales figures all ride on curiosity...alot of people didnt really like COntraband...but it still made platinum...and then the second disk still had a market...but the only thing these days is that passing curiosity turns into downloads instead of album sales...so things need to be rethought a bit....we've basically heard a third of 2 albums worth of material....it might be like judging Randy Rhodes contributions to Ozzy's early career on these tracks from the 2 albums Randy Appeared on:

"Suicide Solution"
"No Bone Movies"
"Revelation (Mother Earth)"
"Steal Away (The Night)"
"Believer"
"Little Dolls"
"Tonight"
"S.A.T.O."
"Diary of a Madman"

which arent really that great even though there are also these masterpeices on those 2 disks

"I Don't Know"
"Crazy Train"
"Goodbye to Romance"
"Mr. Crowley"
"Over the Mountain"
"Flying High Again"
"You Can't Kill Rock and Roll"

again Ther is the potential for better songs than the ones we've already heard....but then again maybe these are the best tracks to be had....either way we shouldnt judge all the material until we've heard it all

Neemo wrote:

maybe the "A" list songs are reserved for the 2nd disk...the 1st disk will be big based on curiosity alone...the 2nd one has to support itself and build on the hype surrounding hte 2nd disk....if the 2nd album blows then there is no hype for disk 3

Highly unlikely. I'm with James, the first disk would have to be all killer no filler. If the 1st album is below par, the critics, media, and fans will eat Axl alive. This is what we've been waiting for? This is what he ended the original lineup over? If Axl wants to have even the slightest chance with this NU GN'R thing, he is going to need some badass material that warranted this decade and a half soap opera.

I also agree with James that what we've heard so far IS probably "A" List stuff. To be honest, I personally find that to be a huge let down. It's not bad or anything, but it ain't "grandiose" or "epic" as some descibed either. I don't care if he does re-record the vocals, or adds an extra layer of synth, or BBF, it's unlikely that it's going to make that much of a difference.

Somebody, leak a new song already !

James

James wrote:

I'm not saying we've heard THE best and everything else is mediocre. We have heard part of the best. All of the songs we are listening to have their origins in the late 90's. If those tracks are still being considered(they are) in 2008 and beyond, then clearly it is A list material.

Board footer