You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: found a weird GnR Mention

Neemo wrote:

Was looking at boutique Guitar Effects pedal and came across this tidbit

Custom Modified Sun Face
We do not normally sell this custom pedal but this will give you an idea of what we can do if you are crazy enough...

This 4 knob sunface was made for Guns n' Roses. Curtis Laur, who was working with them, wanted extra knobs on the fuzz so he could document the settings, and the guitarists could leave the guitars' knobs up all the way. The two standard knobs are on the left - Volume and Fuzz. The third knob is the same as the standard internal trim pot on the sunface - the input CLEAN trimmer. It works the same as turning down the VOL knob on your guitar, to CLEAN up the sound. So we labelled it C for Clean. The forth knob is a TONE knob but with a twist. There is a mini-toggle switch below the TONE knob. In the UP position, it acts like the TONE knob on your guitar. But if the fuzz is up high, your TONE knob does not do much. So we added the DOWN position which puts the tone circuit AFTER the fuzz for a more pronounced roll off of high end. But since simple is better and sometimes you don't need to roll off the tone, we also have a MIDDLE position which totally bypasses the tone control. You may remember the old 1970s Big Muffs which had a TONE BYPASS switch on the back, a very good idea.

This pedal is not as good as the normal Sunface NKT with sundial for a player, as you should use the knobs on your guitars for more control. It was built so the guitar tech could do the adjustments. So we don't normally build these, also very expensive as each knob and switch is a $25 option.

I finally got Chinese Democracy in late 2008 and got to hear our pedals, and we were mentioned in the credits along with about 1000 others. Curtis contacted me in 2020 and said he still has the pedal, and doesn't like to play without it.

http://www.analogman.com/fuzzface.htm

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

so question is...who is Curtis Laur? Guitar Tech?

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

I don’t know but I bet guitar techs know more about the Chinese Democracy saga than most. Someone should buy them a beer.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Curtis Laur is credited in the CD booklet as a guitar tech. He's in Facebook, for instance, so adventurous ones can drop him a line.

Sounds like he might've worked with the band during the Beavan era ('98-'00).

Board footer