You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: New Radicals to reunite for Biden inauguration

James wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Always found the “courtney love and marilyn manson” line from You Get What You Give insanely cringeworthy but the song was catchy. Just saved the album on Spotify after James’ constant endorsements so I’ll give it a whirl.

I was meaning to post this a few weeks back in this thread, it's possible that line torpedo'd his bands career. Yeah he got away with a surprise hit, but if the album is as good as you guys say it to be, its very possible MM & Courtney Love refused to do future TRL or MTV interviews etc at the time (98-99) which, they were at the top of the charts back then for the most part.

It's not how it happened though. It was already over before any of those people had any chance to do anything.

He broke up the band on his own terms right before the second single was released. The breakup got a lot of press, was a shock, and instantly destroyed their momentum. What was shaping up to be THE band/album of 1999...gone in an instant.

I've always believed that the moment he got a taste of fame it scared the shit out of him  and he overreacted to get away from it. Not everyone can handle being a star.

Other than the band coming out of nowhere, I wouldn't categorize it as a surprise hit. It's massively catchy and could've been so much bigger had he not imploded everything.

Could've been the anthem of 99....and he didn't even give this ballad a chance to blow up....

Fans disagree on what could've/should've been the third single, but I always thought this should've been next on the launch pad...

James

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:
James wrote:

It's weird seeing him that old. Yikes.

Yeah it's a serviceable performance. He could take it on the road if he wanted to.

It's too bad they only did the one song. A 2-3 song set would've been nice.

At least it happened.

LOL! Time comes for us all James. Time is undefeated.

I think the main reason I'm always blown away by a lot of these aging celebs of our youth is the fact I don't really follow them anymore. Many years ago, I loved watching shows like Joan Rivers 'Gossip! Gossip! Gossip!' and reading mags like US, People, Entertainment Weekly, etc. In the 2000s I was on various celeb forums.

I've been out of the pop culture loop for years. When I talk about any of them, I have a mental image of how they looked back then.

Another example is the last time I saw a pic of Dave Mustaine. Mind blown. I still picture him as 1990 Dave Mustaine head banging to Holy Wars.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah thats weird about him. Didn't know he was older than me, he's 50. So he woulda been 30 when they hit big. Maybe he was past it, but a weird decision to not ride the fun out, and money. I don't recall the news of them breaking up but I remember that first song being huge. Non stop.

There were alot of one hit wonders kinda like him, Rockabye song, Standing Outside a Broken Payphone With A Quarter In My Hand song, mostly solo acts. Wonder what it was that he just couldn't do it. I guess look at Izzy or Brain from Korn, but they did it for a few years tho, geez, he's like Field Of Dreams guy, wanted 1 shot at it and walked away content.

James wrote:

Rivers 'Gossip! Gossip! Gossip!' and reading mags like US, People, Entertainment Weekly, etc. In the 2000s I was on various celeb forums.

Still wanna be stuck between Natalie Portmans legs? 16

James

James wrote:

Still wanna be stuck between Natalie Portmans legs?

Holy shit...I had forgot about that.

That feels like a lifetime ago.

Rockabye song,

That's one of the worst songs ever.  When I downloaded a bunch of 90s songs I didn't have on my computer about a year ago, I made sure to exclude that off the list.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
James wrote:

Rockabye song,

That's one of the worst songs ever.  When I downloaded a bunch of 90s songs I didn't have on my computer about a year ago, I made sure to exclude that off the list.

haha, I actually dug it a bit. Total 1 hit wonder, that late 90s fake 'alt rock', a Wilco ripoff I'm sure. When it came out, I was wanting to move to LA, so the song kinda struk a chord with me. I also remember a coke reference in the video. Also spoke to me in those years.

Listened to the song again just now, doesn't hold up well at all.

James

James wrote:

That late 90s period of music is so weird. Other than rap/hip hop being shoved down everyone's throat, no genuine movement was able to dominate.

You had the Korn's and the Limp Bizkits, Britney, Christina and their knockoffs, that terrible boyband craze, the Santana comeback, new country like Shania and Faith Hill, and everything else from New Radicals to Sixpence None the Richer fighting for attention.

I wasn't a big fan of most of the late 90s scene but it looks better in hindsight considering the quality of music would freefall in the 21st century.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah I view 3rd Eye Blind as the quintessential late 90s alt rock band. Like pop rock. You had Matchbox 20, Blink 182, Offspring, Sugar Ray etc also.

AtariLegend wrote:
James wrote:

Still wanna be stuck between Natalie Portmans legs?

Holy shit...I had forgot about that.

That feels like a lifetime ago.

No longer JamesLofton29? 16.

James

James wrote:

Speaking of HTGTH, I had also been 28 before that. I then started over. Didn't realize you could just edit the screen name.

Anyone know what ever happened to ppbebe? I always tried to get him/her to come to ROV/Evo but they'd never do it.

Now that was a great poster.

Board footer