You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: GNR Release 'Absurd' Single

jimmythegent wrote:

It's kicking more and more ass the more I listen - granted, I have had a couple of beers to honour the occasion...
Duff is not getting enough dues thus far - he is bossing that bottom end not to mention anchoring the punk rock vibes it benefits from. The whole band sound great Axl included, 20 year old vocals or not. The production and general sound is lightyears better than CD

Yeah, I mentioned it elsewhere, but I love that little bit at 1:56 where Duff throws in a little bass lick. Reminds me of his work with Walking Papers.

Production and mixing is great, except that weird bit where "screaming fucking banshee" is out of sync with the backing track. But it has to be intentional, surely? It couldn't get through Axl, Slash, Duff, the management and the record company without someone pointing it out, if it was a mistake.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

This isn't going to be CD II it's going to be Use Your Illusion III.

Can't wait to hear the Hard School recording. I don't want to hear anymore "Slash butchers CD material." This is killer. He fits it perfectly, which no one ever predicted ever.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Wow...they actually did it...new music

Pretty exciting stuff, even tho I don't care much for the song, I'll have to give it a couple more listens

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

It is definitely a song that rewards repeated listens... I'm officially all in

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Yeah. Plus I can see Axl's point of view; he's trying to strike a balance between respecting the work done by previous band members, with respecting the current band members. Strip out Brain's drums and replace them with Frank hitting the same beats, and it's kind of disrespectful to Brain. Leave Brain's drums on it and it's kind of disrespectful to Frank. You basically can't win.

Brain never left the band. He just quit touring. Axl said as much way back and basically said that Brain still worked with the band in a studio capacity, and based on him and Melissa doing those remixes live before sports games a few years ago it's clear he's still involved with the band in some way.

If I'm not mistaken he is the one who recommended her to Guns.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Wonder if radio will touch this one. I now believe at least 2 singles will drop. Absurd and Hardschool. I am not convinced there is an album but im a little more positive that there might be something.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:

I'm back in as well. Slash and Duff can do whatever they want to the CD leftovers. Bring on CD2 9

Sky Dog wrote:

Mother Fuckin Goose….that’s all I got! Brain on drums. I’m thinking The General Tommy Fuckin Stinson on bass!!!!! axl

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

how did they get that backwards R?

shutout52
 Rep: 0 

shutout52 wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

how did they get that backwards R?

The Russians loaned it to them.

I just gave it a listen as well.

The intro sounds almost like some Buckethead killswitch stuff.

Lyrics are far too repetitive. I was hoping more would have been added and I just kind of rolled my eyes when the verse came up for a third time.

Overall, I give it a 4/10. But I think it's smart to lead with this. Don't lead with your big ones otherwise the interest will die out for a lack of strength. Build up to the stuff like Hardschool and Oklahoma (and can a motherfucker get a full Soul Monster with vocals soon?)

Board footer