You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: GNR Release 'Absurd' Single

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

It blows my mind how fast the news/media cycle rolls by now.

This is already being filed under old news.

Oh well...at least they did get a ton of press out of it.

It hits people's "Release Radar" playlists on Spotify this coming week.

But yeah, the news cycle is quick. GN'R don't help themselves with how little they actually say anything these days. The band officially haven't said a whole lot about the new song, why they're releasing it etc.

Maybe they're saving doing that as another day of press but I doubt it. Silence is still the way they operate.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

You think that they’d want to hype the shit out of the first official original release from Axl/Slash/Duff in 30 years more than they have, but hey, this is GN’R, and they don’t operate the way other bands do.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

It blows my mind how fast the news/media cycle rolls by now.

This is already being filed under old news.

Oh well...at least they did get a ton of press out of it.

It hits people's "Release Radar" playlists on Spotify this coming week.

But yeah, the news cycle is quick. GN'R don't help themselves with how little they actually say anything these days. The band officially haven't said a whole lot about the new song, why they're releasing it etc.

Maybe they're saving doing that as another day of press but I doubt it. Silence is still the way they operate.

Nothing can just breathe anymore...it's always on to the next thing.

Whether it's news, music, movies, or TV.....there always has to be new 'trending' items for people to scroll through.

Our culture has the attention span of a goldfish.

I'd love to know how many tickets were bought during the 48 hour period Absurd was in the news cycle.

Haters Gonna Hate
 Rep: 1 

It seems the press doesn't mind the song but other forums I seen are VERY mixed and a lot hate the song. I feel like a lot won't really give it a chance because it is a CD era song. Also it doesn't "sound" like GNR. I think HS would be better because it has more of the classic GNR sound and it was not played live in the CD era, so unless people are familiar with the era or the leaks, they will maybe think it is a new song. I seen a lot of people say the riff sounds like GNR even though the guitar work expect for the solos is pretty much the same as the BBF leak.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Haters Gonna Hate wrote:

It seems the press doesn't mind the song but other forums I seen are VERY mixed and a lot hate the song. I feel like a lot won't really give it a chance because it is a CD era song. Also it doesn't "sound" like GNR. I think HS would be better because it has more of the classic GNR sound and it was not played live in the CD era, so unless people are familiar with the era or the leaks, they will maybe think it is a new song. I seen a lot of people say the riff sounds like GNR even though the guitar work expect for the solos is pretty much the same as the BBF leak.

There's this forum I post at.  It's not a music site but does have a music section.  They pretty much HATED the song and said it sounds nothing like classic GNR. 

Although someone who liked the guitar parts said that the chorus and lyrics were repetitive and boring.  This song was never going to be popular with people who grew up with AFD, Lies/ Illusion GNR.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

What I wonder though is if YCBM would work these days either.

Everyone knows better than everyone else.

Like i'm a fan of wrestling and everyone knows better than Vince Mcmahon.

I'm a fan of starwars and everyone knows better that George Lucas, then they absolutely know better than Disney.

We all know better than the clowns that made all the Alien sequels, especially that hack Sir Ridley Scott who made the last couple.

I realised recently that absolutely everything I am a fan of, has a collection of people online, all of who seem to engage with the product by finding flaws in it, and all of them know better than everyone who actually makes the products.

Some of it is granted of course, and god knows we know that GNR has given us an absolute litany of valid reasons to get frustrated over the years....but at some level I just enjoy stuff for what it is now.

Is Prometheus as good as Aliens? No...but it has some fun parts. Is Absurd a new Jungle? Nup...but it's kinda fun to listen to regardless.

But what i wonder is - if it really was as good - would anyone notice anyway these days? When was the last time anyone of our age actually liked anything as much as we all liked the 80s/90s classics. Like if you think about it - the twat screams may be harder than anything on UYI but they don't count, the Anastasia solos may be better than AFD solos note for note but they won't count either.

I'm not trying to say absurd is the best song ever or anything, but I dont think it even matters if it is, and it's fun for what it is.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

Whoops wrong thread. Absurd!

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

What I wonder though is if YCBM would work these days either.

Everyone knows better than everyone else.

Like i'm a fan of wrestling and everyone knows better than Vince Mcmahon.

I'm a fan of starwars and everyone knows better that George Lucas, then they absolutely know better than Disney.

We all know better than the clowns that made all the Alien sequels, especially that hack Sir Ridley Scott who made the last couple.

I realised recently that absolutely everything I am a fan of, has a collection of people online, all of who seem to engage with the product by finding flaws in it, and all of them know better than everyone who actually makes the products.

Some of it is granted of course, and god knows we know that GNR has given us an absolute litany of valid reasons to get frustrated over the years....but at some level I just enjoy stuff for what it is now.

Is Prometheus as good as Aliens? No...but it has some fun parts. Is Absurd a new Jungle? Nup...but it's kinda fun to listen to regardless.

But what i wonder is - if it really was as good - would anyone notice anyway these days? When was the last time anyone of our age actually liked anything as much as we all liked the 80s/90s classics. Like if you think about it - the twat screams may be harder than anything on UYI but they don't count, the Anastasia solos may be better than AFD solos note for note but they won't count either.

I'm not trying to say absurd is the best song ever or anything, but I dont think it even matters if it is, and it's fun for what it is.

To be fair...I think there is a good argument that the great stuff has already been done in the past. Everything happening in recent years is just a rehash of similar ideas in the past. This applies to the movie industry, music industry, and art in general. Keith Richards once said that everything he does with a guitar is stolen from Chuck Berry. Now imagine adding 50 years onto this. Everything today is stolen from Berry, Richards, and others in the past.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Beta has replied to a fan on instagram who said they felt "the song is direspectful to fans" that she is "sorry they feel disrespected, that wasn't the intention but this song is part of the CD, enjoy your day"

.... Hard to ever know anything with this band but... did she just confirm a further release of something is coming?

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Beta has replied to a fan on instagram who said they felt "the song is direspectful to fans" that she is "sorry they feel disrespected, that wasn't the intention but this song is part of the CD, enjoy your day"

.... Hard to ever know anything with this band but... did she just confirm a further release of something is coming?

On whose IG page did she says this? She's been trolling multiple IG pages over the past few days.

Board footer