You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Waclimino
 Rep: 0 

Re: GNR Release 'Absurd' Single

Waclimino wrote:

First the band plays it live, out of the blue, after almost 20 years and now it gets an official release.
What is even happening anymore.

Izzyjim
 Rep: 2 

Izzyjim wrote:

I hope the album should we ever get one, won't be layered as fuck as this one

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

That little Duff bass sting at 1:56 is 9

elevendayempire

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

When we finally get the album, we're going to realize what a waste the whole saga was. It all should've happened back then.....hell....he showed up at HOB in 2000 but got tossed out!

Oh man, when we go over the entire "saga".  It's really mind boggling.  No author would come up such a weird and strange story.  This album should have been released at least several times in the past.  And then you have the stuff like the aborted reunion in 2006 and the Slash drunken rant at Axl's house afterward.

Oh well , better later than never.

It's maddening. Axl managed to get everything he wanted – Slash playing on his bonkers industrial rock tracks – 30 years on. If they hadn't been so fucking obstinate we could've had this in 2001, or 2002, or 2006. With Axl on peak vocal form. Instead, they let a decade and a half go under the bridge and we're that much closer to the end of their careers. We could've had 15 more years' worth of music from them. Fucksake.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

One thing I am absolutely sure of - Slash and Duff have improved and elevated this song. Arguably Fortus too as I couldn't single out one thing you could tangibly recognise of his on Chinese...
The looseness and groove is back - who would have thought it fits this material like a glove?

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Well, it's still not my favourite Guns song but this version sounds alright to me. Also, just nice to hear something officially for the first time in forever!

On the stuff that could play. Hopefully the songs that sounded complete and the ones that sounded complete minus vocals are in play.

On songs like SoG.... who knows what happened there. It's a cool demo but it needed work so could be totally different... the other stuff, who knows? Lots of sketch songs which are just a couple of riffs repeating for four minutes but on the other hand one of those was Shackler's and it became a full track and only got final vocals in 06/07.

Take into account that The General is apaprently not written until after that 01/02 period and there are clearly extra batches of writing and more importantly vocal recording that happen in 03-07. Throw in him recently hitting the studio for that Looney Tunes cartoon and we know he has tracked some vocals at one point over the past few years.

All adds up to more maybe being in play than we think. Might not all be 99 demos with a top hat slapped on them.

elevendayempire

jimmythegent wrote:

One thing I am absolutely sure of - Slash and Duff have improved and elevated this song. Arguably Fortus too as I couldn't single out one thing you could tangibly recognise of his on Chinese...
The looseness and groove is back - who would have thought it fits this material like a glove?

For sure. I just wish we could be confident that it is Fortus, since Axl has taken the approach of layering 20 years worth of material together. It's a bit of a kick in the teeth for Frank that the drums are Brain's, for example. Presumably those are Pitman's synths, not Melissa's, too.

I feel like they should have stripped out everything bar Axl's old vocals and reworked it with the current band, in a studio, from the ground up.

That said, it definitely has a looser, more GN'R feel to it.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

The more I listen to this... it's actually kind of incredible how close they got the sound of it be more like a "traditional" Guns N' Roses song. Props to them because on this one in particular it kind of works.

It's growing on me. It's never going to be what I think as a top tier GN'R song but it's definitely ahead of some of the D-list songs that made UYI.

elevendayempire

Yeah. Plus I can see Axl's point of view; he's trying to strike a balance between respecting the work done by previous band members, with respecting the current band members. Strip out Brain's drums and replace them with Frank hitting the same beats, and it's kind of disrespectful to Brain. Leave Brain's drums on it and it's kind of disrespectful to Frank. You basically can't win.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

It's kicking more and more ass the more I listen - granted, I have had a couple of beers to honour the occasion...
Duff is not getting enough dues thus far - he is bossing that bottom end not to mention anchoring the punk rock vibes it benefits from. The whole band sound great Axl included, 20 year old vocals or not. The production and general sound is lightyears better than CD

Board footer