You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Hardschool single coming September 24th.

polluxlm wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

I think the Jackie Chan stuff is all just a coincidence. Dude had like 30 movies come out during that time. Axl might have just been a fan.

I think there are too many coincidences. They brought in Rick Rubin to produce and he liked the song but there was no vocals. This was when Slash was still in the band, so the music had already been made. Later he did record vocals and the theme was no longer about any Jackie Chan movie, but probably inspired by the break up with Slash which happened weeks/months after the Rick Rubin meeting. Would explain the lyrics and the anger and the 90s sounding rasp. In the late 90s he had surgery which changed his voice forever. This sounds like old Axl only more worn.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

There are parts of this clip that sound very hard Skool to me. Around 2:47 or so. Musically Hard Skool sounds very GNR.

Cerulean wind
 Rep: -6 

Maybe "Hard Skool" is something from 1994 - 1997? I don't know.

At least, we know that Silkworms is a Pitman/Reed song.

Is "Hard Skool" a Rose/Hudson/McKagan/Tobias/Reed/Sorum track?

Bluefish18
 Rep: 2 

Bluefish18 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

There are parts of this clip that sound very hard Skool to me. Around 2:47 or so. Musically Hard Skool sounds very GNR.

Yup, at around 1:50 in HS, I totally hear this.  and this was done during the early stages of VR, when they were "The Project" (I think).  So HS could easily have roots that go back to the mid 90's.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Bluefish18 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Yup, at around 1:50 in HS, I totally hear this.  and this was done during the early stages of VR, when they were "The Project" (I think).  So HS could easily have roots that go back to the mid 90's.

Yes! They can’t trick us! I think this was a lil before the project. I thought at one time this was 1999 but it could have been 2001 or so.

**Edit: In 1998, he released his first and only drum instructional video (Drum Licks and Tricks from the Rock n Roll Jungle) demonstrating his techniques.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

That really doesn't sound like Hard School to me.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Agreed. Does sound cool though... Imagine Matt Sorum playing on Hard Skool

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axl S wrote:

The style is similar enough and has that Slash Duff Matt type sound you could see them recording a track like Hard Skool.. very much in their realm. That video is from 1998…

Sky Dog wrote:

Billboard article said 7 writers of this song! Ludicrous

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Billboard article said 7 writers of this song! Ludicrous

Did they name any?

Board footer