You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

Re: What is your favorite song on CD?

ClaudeF wrote:

This thread got me looking online for stuff. Never saw this Best Buy ad before:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P0LqxS4o-7w

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

The ideal thing to do would've been to settle on a coherent two-guitar line-up in the early Noughties (either Finck and Fortus, or Buckethead and Fortus), and strip back the songs to just the players who were on them. Get Fortus to re-record the guitar lines for either Bucket or Finck depending on which one you've dropped. And make it sound cohesive; get the fucking players in a room and have them record the songs as-live, rather than fucking about layering in overdubs for a decade and a half.

Sky Dog wrote:

The album should have been released after Rio 2001…anything after that and you are in overdub hell. No way they didn’t have 12 songs fully baked.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

If they ever release this new album we might get something like that. Did they record new rhythm tracks for Absurd and Hard Skool?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think 2004-06 should’ve been the year. That’s when they fleshed out Better. Axl was in shape, vocally at his best since ‘91, and looked into it.

The ‘02 tour should’ve never happened. You’d probably still have Bucket in the band in ‘06 had they not. The RTB recordings were the best.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

The album should have been released after Rio 2001…anything after that and you are in overdub hell. No way they didn’t have 12 songs fully baked.

This is my opinion as well....summer 2001. The world wanted it back then.

His mistake once butting heads with the label was not leaking it on Napster/kazaa/limewire. It would've forced their hand.

A similar leak around the same time is what sped up the release of Audioslaves debut.

Also agree with ID about 2002. If you don't have an album or at least a song ready to launch, there was no point hitting the road.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

I've had this theory for so long that now it's coming around again...
Axl never made any real move without having to prove or antagonize something.
2006 he was on fire because of the whole VR/Scott Weiland/Slash coming to his house in 05.
2009 tour happened because he felt he had to prove it was not because of Azzoff that the album got out
2016 he was at his peak with GNR because he had to prove he was up to Slash's perceived level.
At ACDC he'd have to climb the hill of a different fanbase.
Since then it's just going with the flow.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think 2009 and “the forever tour” happened because he needed money. I think money may have played some role in ‘16, I think they were offered Cochella and a big pay day and that’s what spurred the Slash call, but there was nowhere else to go with the *new* lineup. And I’m certain he always anticipated a reunion.

And yeah, he pushed himself with Axl/DC

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Should have released in 2001, they missed that for whatever reasons. From what we know sounds like label folk had concerns with whether he had enough "good" songs and were always pushing for a reunion anyways.

To be fair, based on the timeline we know for certain songs, it looks like he puts vocals down on Better at some point 01/02 (he's playing it in a strip club in early 03, and he's busy during 02 Fall), so maybe delaying to get some extra songs done wasn't a terrible idea.

Booking them to play VMAs without even just a single and music video ready to go - that's a terrible idea. Following that up with a tour when you still have nothing ready? Also terrible idea.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Axl S wrote:

Should have released in 2001, they missed that for whatever reasons. From what we know sounds like label folk had concerns with whether he had enough "good" songs and were always pushing for a reunion anyways.

I think it's more that they were pushing for a reunion and telling Axl that the songs weren't up to snuff in an attempt to force said reunion. Based on the demos (and the final album) there were plenty of quality tracks to draw on.

Board footer