You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: SOG single coming?

Sky Dog wrote:

Are we still this gullible? Come on….what you are getting is the box set. The first song available is YCBM… that’s it then we will likely get November Rain part 2 closer to the November release date.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Are we still this gullible? Come on….what you are getting is the box set. The first song available is YCBM… that’s it then we will likely get November Rain part 2 closer to the November release date.

It was intriguing and since Slash has mentioned further singles...it's possible something is happening.

It's starting to feel like some sort of feedback loop.... Spotify is feeding us what we are giving it...and around we go.

I laughed at that guy who sent Spotify a message. He told Spotify what he wanted to hear (could it be new songs waiting?), this customer service guy says it's possible....

I doubt the call center in India knows about future GNR releases.

I'm not searching anymore. We're just feeding the monster at this point.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Off topic, but on the liner notes of the AFD 30th anniversary box set, the last line of writing credits says “November Rain writing by Slash, Duff McKagen, W.Axl Rose, and Izzy Stradlin”. I thought that was interesting. Any insight why this is now a group effort and no longer just W.Axl Rose?

I have given an explanation here:

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.p … 68#p339368

James

James wrote:

I saw your suggestion over there to hit the pause button on this for a month or so. I agree.

Even if something is brewing,  we're not helping. Spotify went from zero feedback from the hardcore base to a minor flood. Even on a small scale....it has to trigger something in its system.

It went from giving us Atlas Shrugged at the beginning to Cats in the Cradle now.

Something is askew.

If this has hit the fans on social media, it's going to get worse. It'll soon pull in Motley Crue songs because Axl wanted to fight him once...or even Tom Petty due to Free Falling at the VMAs.

Blackstar

Blackstar wrote:
James wrote:

I saw your suggestion over there to hit the pause button on this for a month or so. I agree.

Even if something is brewing,  we're not helping. Spotify went from zero feedback from the hardcore base to a minor flood. Even on a small scale....it has to trigger something in its system.

It went from giving us Atlas Shrugged at the beginning to Cats in the Cradle now.

Something is askew.

If this has hit the fans on social media, it's going to get worse. It'll soon pull in Motley Crue songs because Axl wanted to fight him once...or even Tom Petty due to Free Falling at the VMAs.

I don't think Cats in the Cradle means anything - it could be happening for a long time, but we hadn't noticed it because we weren't looking. That and Every Rose Has Its Thorn (and even Bed of Roses) have been mistaken for GN'R songs by thousands of people over the years, so many may have searched them typing "cats in the cradle guns n roses". Plus, Spotify suggests "related artists" and auto-generates related playlists, so it probably treats Poison and Ugly Kid Joe as related artists to GN'R.

On the other hand, other songs (released and unreleased) that are really associated with GN'R in some way don't give any results. For example, Crash Diet returns only the two other bands that have recorded it - it isn't really a GN'R song, but what matters is that many people consider it such and one would think that at least a few GN'R fans have searched for it or added the other bands' versions in their playlists, or even have the demo in local playlists. The two solo songs Bumblefoot performed with GN'R don't show up either, although one was on an official GN'R release (Appetite for Democracy) - not even Bumblefoot himself showed up when I searched for "objectify" and "abnormal". Yet, Ballad of Death shows up.

It's very hard to figure out and draw a conclusion. But there are some clues that are rather damning. Like, that Silkworms returned GN'R last year after Absurd was released, and that doesn't happen now, so it could be because people were searching for it then but stopped later.

So it's pointless to continue searching now, since it's possible that we're causing all this ourselves. And if we haven't forgotten all about it in a month, we can check it out again and see if any of these titles are still there.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah I wonder what else the algorithm takes into account. Like people who search for X phrase often listen to what else. Maybe even stuff like lyrics sites that use X phrase and often include unofficial releases. Could be all kinds of things. I hope eventually they do release an EP or more singles or something, but it seems the UYI box would be this years drop. Lets try this again October 2023 lol.

Blackstar

Blackstar wrote:

On another (unrelated?) note, Brain was in Brazil with them a few days ago (Dizzy posted a video of him with Brain and Melissa on Instagram) and he's probably still there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ci6itsLoOER/

James

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah I wonder what else the algorithm takes into account. Like people who search for X phrase often listen to what else. Maybe even stuff like lyrics sites that use X phrase and often include unofficial releases. Could be all kinds of things. I hope eventually they do release an EP or more singles or something, but it seems the UYI box would be this years drop. Lets try this again October 2023 lol.

Once I saw Cats and then Every Rose(listed above Poison) I started wondering if one(or several) of the people on Spotify had those old mislabeled files on their system...and it's somehow getting recognized.

I've also wondered if a hoarder has got his treasure in their somewhere and all this digging brought it to the surface briefly.

Im not a Spotify expert. I don't even use the damn thing. All the music I will ever want is on my computer or CDs and vinyl...or sometimes listen to YouTube.

Only one of those apps I ever used was rhapsody 5 or 6 years ago on my phone but I dumped it when I realized I was just listening to shit I already have. Why pay for that?

On another (unrelated?) note, Brain was in Brazil with them a few days ago (Dizzy posted a video of him with Brain and Melissa on Instagram) and he's probably still there.

He's there with Melissa.

Too bad Buckethead isn't with them... although I doubt they'd get to do anything.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Are we still this gullible?

Yes

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I swapped to Spotify a couple of years back. I mean to be honest by nature i'm a high-def guy and also a bit of a collector/completist in life.....so I'd way rather own than rent stuff and I'd like to own it in 24bit or whatever is highest. But I've come to accept the tide. Like same with movies...I own thousands of movies on disk and tape that I collected over the years...but it's obvious the future is streaming...so i thought fighting it is pointless..it gets hard to even get a quality cd player now.....so i swapped to streaming...still keep a 4k player for favourite franchises...but I am resigned to streaming for day to day stuff.

Anyways Spotify has a function to play your local files on your PC as well as it's streaming stuff. Who know how it works? Like for all i know it reads the titles of files I play as well as what it streams. So maybe it noticed enough people play files called "State of Grace" then stream "Locomotive" or whatever. Fuck knows what anything does these days, it all tracks us to an absurd level. Then again maybe it doesn't pay attention to stuff like that at all. I really don't know. I would believe they track search requests though. Why wouldn't they? It would help determine what they license and at what rate etc. Really we should test it buy as a fanbase making up a title like "Goat Fucker Face Mash" and as a team all search for it, then play some AFD, and see if in a few months it starts to make the association by itself. lol.

Board footer