You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

James wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Didn’t mean it that way and wasn’t talking to one poster. The Illusions finished off anything worth a shit in the 87-91 era. They dumped it all on us and history shows they were smart to do it.

Song wise I think the only thing of worth left over from thoses days that we need in actual decent quality is a version of Ain't Goin Down with vocals. I think Axl said himself they wanted to "put it all out". I find Mayhues claims about multiple AFD era songs left over unlikely. I suspect he mispoke and meant Chinese era songs

One song I remember....

Nightcrawler

Only got a couple mentions back in the day and was of course absent from speculated tracklists in the lead up to UYI.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
misterID wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I firmly believe the only gems left in the vault will come from the Chinese sessions.

Oklahoma/Berlin sounds fantastic. Either D-Tune or Curly Shuffle gotta be Seven. Soul Monster is supposed to have a Stevie Ray Vaughan type of solo, which I don’t hear on Me and my Elvis.

Edit, got to add neither Scraped, The General or This I Love were on the locker leaks, so there could be others we haven’t heard

Axl never said Soul Monster was the song with the Stevie Ray Vaughan solo, they were two completely separate comments that got conflated for some reason.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

James wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Didn’t mean it that way and wasn’t talking to one poster. The Illusions finished off anything worth a shit in the 87-91 era. They dumped it all on us and history shows they were smart to do it.

Song wise I think the only thing of worth left over from thoses days that we need in actual decent quality is a version of Ain't Goin Down with vocals. I think Axl said himself they wanted to "put it all out". I find Mayhues claims about multiple AFD era songs left over unlikely. I suspect he mispoke and meant Chinese era songs

One song I remember....

Nightcrawler

Only got a couple mentions back in the day and was of course absent from speculated tracklists in the lead up to UYI.

Nightcrawler turned into Speed Parade by Snakepit according to Canter, also Slash said years back that Ain't Life Grand was a meant to be a GN'R tune called Burnout but Adler couldnt play it.

I dont know maybe some of the unrecorded Snakepit stuff like 99 Times could have started out as GN'R tunes

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Consider this:

Led Zeppelin’s first album came out on January 12, 1969. Its last album, Coda, came out November 19, 1982.

A span of 5,069 days.

Chinese Democracy came out November 23, 2008. As of today, July 24, 2023 that is 5,356 since ago.

Led Zeppelin’s entire career occurred in the time since we got the last GNR studio alnumz

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
James wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

One song I remember....

Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler turned into Speed Parade by Snakepit according to Canter, also Slash said years back that Ain't Life Grand was a meant to be a GN'R tune called Burnout but Adler couldnt play it.

I dont know maybe some of the unrecorded Snakepit stuff like 99 Times could have started out as GN'R tunes

99 Times was one of the songs I was looking forward to on Snakepit 2. They debuted it live first, and I remember hearing crappy live mp3 recordings of it, and it sounded promising.

It was disappointing that it didn’t end up on Ain’t Life Grand. But I think it was actually morphed into the SMKC song Stone Blind, on World On Fire.

Shacklermyrye

metallex78 wrote:

99 Times was one of the songs I was looking forward to on Snakepit 2. They debuted it live first, and I remember hearing crappy live mp3 recordings of it, and it sounded promising.

It was disappointing that it didn’t end up on Ain’t Life Grand. But I think it was actually morphed into the SMKC song Stone Blind, on World On Fire.

Havent listened to SMKC for a while but i just checked and your clearly right. Hmmm wonder if I could salvage Rod Jacksons vocals and put them on there. The song seems quite different to the Snakepit one but it's clear from the intro what it used to be.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Between that...the way Aint Life Grand was repackaged when it wasn't used....how Ghost came from a VR demo....I don't think Slash sits on stuff the way Axl does....it makes me wonder about this concept of an unused 1987 GNR record that they are said to be finishing up now. I'd believe maybe a song or two dates from then....but I don't buy slash was sitting on an AFD2 worth of riffs for the past 9 albums given how he remakes good ideas when people won't listen to him.

Shacklermyrye

monkeychow wrote:

Between that...the way Aint Life Grand was repackaged when it wasn't used....how Ghost came from a VR demo....I don't think Slash sits on stuff the way Axl does....it makes me wonder about this concept of an unused 1987 GNR record that they are said to be finishing up now. I'd believe maybe a song or two dates from then....but I don't buy slash was sitting on an AFD2 worth of riffs for the past 9 albums given how he remakes good ideas when people won't listen to him.

I just think Tom Mayhue misspoke. Pretty sure he meant Chinese era songs and not AFD. Who knows? I'd need to hear it from at least two sources before I believed it tbh.

Having said that Izzy said this in 1988 https://web.archive.org/web/20070307024 … tpm88.html
We spent time with Manny Charlton from Nazareth. He came over because we were thinking bout having him produce the record. We were in the studio for two and a half days and we did everything live. We recorded 25 or 30 tunes. We never did anything with that album but we have the masters to it. It's something where we'll go back and pick through it. A lot of the stuff that comes out when your just jamming as a band is the best.

Obviously AFD songs are in there but maybe it still leaves a couple

Joe Rogan bumped into Axl in Greece so maybe he invited Axl to do a podcast and we can find out, I doubt it though
https://www.instagram.com/p/CvE3c0cuQqb/

joerogan. Was in Greece on vacation and randomly ran into Axl Rose at a restaurant. He invited us to see @gunsnroses in Athens, and it was FUCKING AMAZING. They went HARD for 3 hours in the blazing heat and the crowd was incredible. If you have a chance to see them near you I can’t recommend it enough.

Dani_1455
 Rep: 3 

Dani_1455 wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I just think Tom Mayhue misspoke. Pretty sure he meant Chinese era songs and not AFD. Who knows? I'd need to hear it from at least two sources before I believed it tbh.

Joe Rogan bumped into Axl in Greece so maybe he invited Axl to do a podcast and we can find out, I doubt it though
https://www.instagram.com/p/CvE3c0cuQqb/

joerogan. Was in Greece on vacation and randomly ran into Axl Rose at a restaurant. He invited us to see @gunsnroses in Athens, and it was FUCKING AMAZING. They went HARD for 3 hours in the blazing heat and the crowd was incredible. If you have a chance to see them near you I can’t recommend it enough.

He talked about 29 songs finished, if he is talking of the CD era, 14 were submitted on the first album and Hardskool and Absurd on 2021, that leaves 13 songs finished at this point
I don't know if somebody knows here about the Spotify case around october of last year were some songs start suggesting GNR and Absurd or Hardskool.
This songs were (if I remember correctly):
State of Grace, Atlas Shrugged, The General, Perhaps, Soul Monster, Se7en, Zodiac, Oklahoma, Thyme and Cuban Skies.
Could It be that there are really 13 songs finished but the only ones that have been uploaded are being considered to be released, some of them soon and the other ones not, and of this 10 songs only some of them have been re-recorded with Slash & Duff?
About of this 10, we know that The General and Perhaps are for sure re-recorded with them and that's my opinion but the found of Se7en spelled like this makes me believe It has also been re-recorded.
Which also fits with the description of Slash of sounding epic the songs.
I throw my theory here, I don't know if anybody thinks something similar

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Havent listened to SMKC for a while but i just checked and your clearly right. Hmmm wonder if I could salvage Rod Jacksons vocals and put them on there. The song seems quite different to the Snakepit one but it's clear from the intro what it used to be.

That's the very first I hear of '99 Times'. Is it on YouTube somewhere?

Board footer