You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

Way back in April 2008 people on Cd.com were talking about how a DJ on Krock105.5 spoke about how industry people were being played 6 songs. I can only go by what the people who heard that have claimed but the general theme was these songs were being played to gauge what could be a decent first single.

This was also spoken about by eonline a few days later http://www.eonline.com/gossip/planetgos … cd304270b5

It's obviously possible that these people were played songs in person for security reasons and not allowed to keep them. However these were industry people who were hardly going to risk there jobs and reputation by being careless with sampler discs before the album had come out.

If it's true that some songs switched back and forth from CD1 to CD2 then any of those 6 track sampler CD's (again if they exist) could have at least a song or two that wound up being kept over for CD2 on them.

I have way too much time on my hands to think about this stuff lol.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Shacklermyrye wrote:

Freese's isolated drums from Hardschool are insane, so is the TIL accapella

I will never understand why they swapped out the drums from the demo for the ones on the finished version. Especially when Axl cheerfully left Brain's drumming on Absurd.

elevendayempire

Shacklermyrye wrote:

I can only go by what the people who heard that have claimed but the general theme was these songs were being played to gauge what could be a decent first single.

And then they decided, bafflingly, to go with Chinese Democracy but not whip up a radio edit that got rid of the minute-long ambient intro.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

elevendayempire wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

I can only go by what the people who heard that have claimed but the general theme was these songs were being played to gauge what could be a decent first single.

And then they decided, bafflingly, to go with Chinese Democracy but not whip up a radio edit that got rid of the minute-long ambient intro.

Yep, the song itself is a logical choice but having the intro on there for a single was not a good idea. If they were played songs that could be singles I suspect they were played Hardschool too, I love the locker leaks version but even that had too long an intro for a single tbf

elevendayempire

Shacklermyrye wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

Yep, the song itself is a logical choice but having the intro on there for a single was not a good idea. If they were played songs that could be singles I suspect they were played Hardschool too, I love the locker leaks version but even that had too long an intro for a single tbf

They should've gone with Chinese Democracy minus the intro, or Better as the first single. A solid, catchy rocker. Then followed up with TWAT, to prove that the new band could do big November Rain style epics with guitar solos played atop a mountain as well as the old band.

The problem there, of course, was that TWAT's big outro solo was played by someone who wasn't in the band anymore. If Axl had managed to win Bucket back around, or if they'd launched the album in 2002-3 as they should have done, though...

Sky Dog wrote:

bucket IRS could have been a good first single but would be the same as TWAT….huge guitar solos by someone who wasn’t in the band anymore.

elevendayempire

Sky Dog wrote:

bucket IRS could have been a good first single but would be the same as TWAT….huge guitar solos by someone who wasn’t in the band anymore.

If only the band hadn't made that pissy public statement about Bucket, they might have managed to keep him on board.

Really, from a marketing perspective Axl should've done anything and everything possible to keep Bucket in the band. Lose Robin? Fine. Lose Tommy? Do it. Buckethead was the iconic figure of the Chinese Democracy era, and the only one who had a hope of displacing Slash in the public imagination.

Imagine a Bizarro-world 2006 GN'R line-up with, like, Axl, Buckethead, Fortus, Duff (who I'm pretty sure would've jumped at the chance if Tommy had been given the boot), Brain, Stinson and Dizzy. Not beyond the bounds of possibility.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Apart from TWAT and IRS what did BH really contribute to CD? CD (song), Catcher and Scraped is actually Bumblefoot on the solos. Better is Robin (the good one). TIL is Robin. Madagascar was good in RIO but it does not catch your breath on the album.

Shackler is bad, If the World and Sorry are good but not because of any amazing guitar work. 

I've gone from thinking BH was indispensable to sort of not caring. He contributed a handful of bits, he wasn't exactly dominant like Slash. His potential in the band was never fulfilled.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Apart from TWAT and IRS what did BH really contribute to CD? CD (song), Catcher and Scraped is actually Bumblefoot on the solos. Better is Robin (the good one). TIL is Robin. Madagascar was good in RIO but it does not catch your breath on the album.

Shackler is bad, If the World and Sorry are good but not because of any amazing guitar work. 

I've gone from thinking BH was indispensable to sort of not caring. He contributed a handful of bits, he wasn't exactly dominant like Slash. His potential in the band was never fulfilled.

Shackler’s was Bumble on the album. Riad also initially had a Bucket solo. I see your larger point though.

Sky Dog wrote:

Bucket plays solos on Sorry, If The World, Shacklers and Scraped, CD outro after Finck, SOD outro…..he’s all over the album! Read the credits again!

Board footer