You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:

There is one other thing and it's two huge IFs.

If there are tracks, in some sort of demo form from 94-96 and new vocals can be recorded for them, they could do the lost 94-96 album.

The only other trick up their sleeve is what Slash talked about last year, recording an actually new record with him, Duff and Slash.

The CD vault, us hardcores want it - it's only worth tapping into when Axl retires from touring/dies.

While I do believe they'll want to unload every scrap after he dies, there may be obstacles to that.

For starters...it's not really GNR. Those who used to freak out on anyone who would say that years ago need to take a look at how new GNR has been handled the past 7 years by the GNR camp....and how the media and people in general simply don't care.

We know how the label felt about new GNR....Is that likely to change any time soon?

Has there ever been any focus on that wacky Aerosmith lineup after they got back together?

The first test will be 2028....the 20 year anniversary of CD.

As far as a lost album goes...that would probably go over better...but would require a bunch of work... which makes it unlikely. Same as a brand new album.

It's sad that the only thing in play is something that was finished eons ago. Anything else is a no go.

It's too bad that they didn't get together and record a proper comeback single in 2016-17. It could've opened things up and breathed new life into their career.

They just didn't care...and now here we are in 2023 praying for scraps.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

There is one wrinkle to the unload the vault when he passes away angle.

Who does he leaves it to? TB assumedly but could be his sis. Then does whoever gets it want to release it? How much of it? Or do they "respect" Axl's legacy and leave it vaulted....

Oddly, I could see CD 20th anniversary being the one Axl himself wants to do most with. Issue is it anyone else involved (Slash, Duff, label) will want to do anything for it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Can totally see Axl having a kid in his mid 60s and totally ruining all of TB’s plans

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

Can totally see Axl having a kid in his mid 60s and totally ruining all of TB’s plans

Pffft....DeNiro is having another kid at 79 and Pacino just got his girlfriend pregnant at 83.  He's got some catching up to do if he wants to catch those guys.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Axl S wrote:

Who does he leaves it to? TB assumedly but could be his sis. Then does whoever gets it want to release it? How much of it? Or do they "respect" Axl's legacy and leave it vaulted....

Oddly, I could see CD 20th anniversary being the one Axl himself wants to do most with. Issue is it anyone else involved (Slash, Duff, label) will want to do anything for it.

Jesus christ that's only 5 years away isn't it, I doubt it will happen though

James

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:

There's an extra cherry on top of that sundae...

The rights get sold to one of these corporations. What if they decide the money is in the classic era and it's just a never ending cycle of placing GNR songs in commercials, movies, and video games and the occasional rerelease of AFD-TSI and greatest hits sets?

Hell...The Doors, Hendrix, etc still have unreleased material and the various rights holders don't give a fuck....even with the knowledge that most of the hardcore fans of those acts will be dead within 5-10 years.

Even the fucking Beatles are still holding on to Carnival of Light....with 70 year old fans begging for it. Instead they release Let It Be and those same fans by their hundredth copy of it.

We're in a world now where new and/or unreleased material isn't as much of a selling point as it used to be. Hardcores have been tossed overboard for the casual audience.

It could go either way at this point. I'm just hoping the one album can get released before any of them die.

Edit

Another example is Pink Floyd. They just released the 50th anniversary Dark Side of the Moon box set. This should've been the big enchilada for this album....but it had less content than the Immersion set that was released last decade.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

image.png

This exchange happened yesterday.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

With our luck they'll sell it to some corporation and they will do a woke treatment of the material and rerelease it. I can easily see a song like It's So Easy being nigh on illegal to play in 20 years time. They've already started to replace words like "fat" in old books.

James

James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/52bkVXKR/image.png

Yeah it's probably Atlas.

It's hard to get excited about this type of thing with GNR because we've been burned a hell of a lot more than any comments leading up to something concrete.

A great example is in the lead up to the announcement of CD's release date, GNR posted that bulletin on Myspace about Dan Druff's missing bike...and for fans to be on the lookout.

The fan base shit all over this bulletin and said how pathetic it is for them to push irrelevant info like that.

They dropped it.

Hindsight tells us this was some sort of clue and probably hoping it could go viral.

But yeah....we pretty much know what it is now....

Absurd
Hard School

Perhaps
Atlas Shrugged

I was praying for Oklahoma. If I could only choose one unreleased GNR song to hear before I die....it's Oklahoma.

Beggars can't be choosers.....

I'm hoping these two songs have a better mix/production.

With our luck they'll sell it to some corporation and they will do a woke treatment of the material and rerelease it. I can easily see a song like It's So Easy being nigh on illegal to play in 20 years time. They've already started to replace words like "fat" in old books.

At some point in time we're going to get Lies without One In A Million....maybe Used To Love Her.....and TSI without the Manson song.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/52bkVXKR/image.png

Yeah it's probably Atlas.

It's hard to get excited about this type of thing with GNR because we've been burned a hell of a lot more than any comments leading up to something concrete.

A great example is in the lead up to the announcement of CD's release date, GNR posted that bulletin on Myspace about Dan Druff's missing bike...and for fans to be on the lookout.

The fan base shit all over this bulletin and said how pathetic it is for them to push irrelevant info like that.

They dropped it.

Hindsight tells us this was some sort of clue and probably hoping it could go viral.

But yeah....we pretty much know what it is now....

Absurd
Hard School

Perhaps
Atlas Shrugged

I was praying for Oklahoma. If I could only choose one unreleased GNR song to hear before I die....it's Oklahoma.

Beggars can't be choosers.....

I'm hoping these two songs have a better mix/production.

Yeah, it really sucks that's all we're likely to get for 2023. In Slash's interview with Trunk last year he said they would be releasing 2 more songs, then another 2 after that, then focus on a brand new album after the tour this year. Now, ignoring the fact that the brand new album is obviously a pipedream as Axl doesn't seem interested in writing anymore, you get the sense that Slash isn't really into this single thing and would rather just drop the rest on an EP and be done with it, while Axl and TB seem to want to drag the process out as long as possible.

Board footer