You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

James wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
James wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

And why was scraped there instead? lol

My answer....

Chinese Democracy had been reduced to a leaks album...but they needed a few bonus tracks to fill out the album...so we got Scraped, Sorry, and This I Love.

I'd like to see the tracklist in an alternate timeline....Ron wanted Atlas Shrugged on the album, Finck had to lobby hard for This I Love...so either other songs were in contention or it was going to be a leaks album straight up.

Speaking of alternate track lists....I've always wanted to see the 2002 track list when he said it was all ready to go.

I have a feeling it doesn't match up with what we got.

I love Fink but ill never get him pushing for TIL. It was for sure an album filled with songs that leaked, I gues Skwerl has to take some blame there. I wanted Atlas on too, some people find it boring but I think it's great.

I love Atlas too. One of the only GNR songs I've listened to this year.

Finck-TIL

Yeah it is odd....for starters its history....which didn't include him.

I've wondered if one of the other songs in contention as it was nearing the launch pad was  a Buckethead track not featuring Finck and he lobbied for a song that featured himself on the solo.

I also remember an old Finck interview where he's asked what his favorite CD song is and his answer was something along the lines of "It's something you'll never hear".

Kinda fucked up....these guys spent years on material that deep down they had to know would probably never come out.

If you want a track list in a different timeline then Zodiac has to come into play. It was explained to me years ago that there is connective tissue between each record (at least in Axl's mind back then) In the AFD liner notes you see the lyrics to YCBM, it connected it to UYI. Then if you look at the album before Chinese you see the Zodiac cypher saying FUCK EM ALL

I had forgotten about that.

It's too bad it all had to turn out the way it did. So much of the hype and bullshit was unnecessary.

The label should've just let the album come out in 2001-02 exactly how he initially wanted it to... the follow-up a few years later...and then it's a wrap.

Reunion or solo from that point forward....and he's only in his 40s at that point. Still had time to do so much.

He simply allowed too much time to be wasted on the project...and then wasted too much time pushing new GNR as a nostalgia act.

He gets a lot of shit from fans for how it all turned out...a lot of it deserved...but he really did want the album out in 2001. You gotta give him that. If the label allows it, the project gets wrapped up in the early 2000s.

They balked....but in their defense...they have no idea he will indefinitely spin his wheels on the project and never move on to anything else....until time to cash in his reunion chips.

James

James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

IIRC there was some controversy in 2006 where it became public that Axl was spotted in some club, and TB wanted Madison to take the info down but she insisted it stay up because she thought fans had the right to meet Axl. Complete nonsense imo, I believe celebrities have a right to a private life even when they go out in public. Of course you'll always have to deal with the paparazzi and fans will always ask for autographs/pics if they see you but a forum shouldn't be encouraging fans to mob him on a night off.

I vaguely remember this.

She did a lot of wacky shit back then. No offense to her...but she wasn't really fit to be a forum admin at that point. She has been getting high on her own supply and it was impacting her decisions.

The way they handled some of the leaks was ridiculous as well.

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:
James wrote:
sp1at wrote:

I think the Sarah Brightman thing was fake. I didn't get much from Beltrami. I posted email addresses so others could try. I tried Sebastian Bach too ages ago, but the guy, he's lovely, but he was so vague. He tried describing the song, but I couldn't post what he said because there was nothing of note lol. I tried one of his ladies too, I remained friends with her for a long time, but again, it never offered any info

Zodiac came from a journalist, the one who said it sounded like Teen Spirit/Nirvana

You're mixing Zodiac up with Quick Song as the Nirvana ripoff....I remember your article. I'm pretty sure it's here in CD Whispers somewhere.

Your site got a lot of crap back then from the usual suspects (Madison for starters) but you really did get some juicy info for a starved fan base that wasn't getting any concrete info from anywhere else.

I still laugh at that description of Atlas Shrugged as a glam NR hybrid (or whatever).

Atlas kind of gives me a weird acoustic Janes Addiction vibe, so no doubt people would hate my description

I really want to hear an updated version that potentially has some Buckethead additions. He could've done something special with it.

I remember hoping the same thing for Catcher In the Rye...and look how that turned out.

gavgnr
 Rep: 4 

gavgnr wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

Here we go, seems clear to me that soundcheck tune is The General
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRiDol5mCqc

[/embed]

Shit I just listened to that with headphones on loud and got freakin goosebumps.

It’s be criminal if that song never sees the light of day (or if S & D ruin it)

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

On one hand I was glad they put out TIL as it's one of Axl's greatest works IMO.

On the other hand - if they'd held it back we might get it now with one of slash's awesome live solos he's done on it.

I wonder how many other versions of it exist - the 'brain remix' with the screamy vocals was awesome. Imagine something like that with slash.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

gavgnr wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

[/embed]

Shit I just listened to that with headphones on loud and got freakin goosebumps.

It’s be criminal if that song never sees the light of day (or if S & D ruin it)

I guess we can only hope that when and if it's released it leads to older versions leaking.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

I really want to hear an updated version that potentially has some Buckethead additions. He could've done something special with it.

It's quite possible when you think of how TWAT was largely extended to incorporate some bucket. And atlas of all the demos seemed like it needed something else structure wise to me to bring it to the boil. Like its a great song but it sort of didn't quite yet amount to what it might to me.

It's interesting that bumble said he played on it too I think.....which would also suggest there's a version with more guitars than what we heard from the locker.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

It's quite possible when you think of how TWAT was largely extended to incorporate some bucket. And atlas of all the demos seemed like it needed something else structure wise to me to bring it to the boil. Like its a great song but it sort of didn't quite yet amount to what it might to me.

It's interesting that bumble said he played on it too I think.....which would also suggest there's a version with more guitars than what we heard from the locker.

Ron worked on it in 2008

"Atlas Shrugged, I was going to tell a little story about that song. Right now on my laptop, I actually have
the old guitar solo that I played for that song, when, two days before the album was going to be mastered, I
was like, let's see if we can squeeze it on to the album. I busted out some guitar tracks for it, I have my own
studio...
(Bumblefoot, Eat More Heat, March 2013)

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

[/embed]

Awesome thanks for posting!

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

I remember Axl saying CD2 would be a lot darker, this certainly fits that vibe!

Board footer