You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

Sky Dog wrote:

Agree..wouldn’t mind  a clean version of Atlas or Perhaps…even then, it wouldn’t make up for the bullshit regarding talks of new/old tracks.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Logically we should het the rest of the leaks that had vocals.

So Atlas, Perhaps, some version of State of Grace, and maybe even Eye on You retooled.

But then it's GNR so who knows. lol.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:
Kikkoman80 wrote:

New album????

I no longer believe we're getting an album....a few songs tops.

It all boils down to what happens this summer.

An album and all the effort that goes with it doesn’t move the needle for these guys nor their tours.

Yeah....the GNR machine has one purpose...hoovering up money from stadium tours and merch. That's it. It also makes it so much easier for the incompetent management. Live Nation does the heavy lifting with the tour. Some of the merch is clearly designed by amateurs.

Even if they wanted to, I doubt they're capable of properly rolling out an album.  It would get zero promotion by GNR/TB. I doubt they'd go on any shows to perform new songs.

It's not a creative entity on any level...and hasn't been in a very long time.

If all they were going to do is toss out a few 20 year old songs, should've happened at the start. The buzz would have been off the charts in 2016-17.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I feel like they are just creativity paralyzed ... just endlessly touting material that was recorded and rejected by the label decades ago

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I agree with you guys.

But then Axl seems a changeable guy. In the same way he went from hermit to everywhere in 2006 for brief period I wouldn't entirely rule out him just waking up one day and deciding he needs to release 4 records that month or something perviously impossible too.

Like how we went from inactive GNR to a reunion tour and Axl fronting Ac/Dc as well out of nowhere.

I'm not saying I expect it to happen or it will happen or anything, but it does seem like when it rains it pours with him.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Pick the best songs from GNR 'solo' albums (incl Gilby) with some of Axls unreleased tracks and make a great double album. Include guest players and make it a real celebration. A lot of people wouldn't even know many of these tracks. Might be a few arguments over the track selection/royalties etc but at least it wouldn't need too much creativity just the time to rerecord

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Again wishful thinking on my part though!

James

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I agree with you guys.

But then Axl seems a changeable guy. In the same way he went from hermit to everywhere in 2006 for brief period I wouldn't entirely rule out him just waking up one day and deciding he needs to release 4 records that month or something perviously impossible too.

Like how we went from inactive GNR to a reunion tour and Axl fronting Ac/Dc as well out of nowhere.

I'm not saying I expect it to happen or it will happen or anything, but it does seem like when it rains it pours with him.

One problem with this.....

They're running out of road. People in their early 60s have very few comebacks and hail Marys left in them.

The get up and go has got up and went.

I know we can look at the Stones chugging along at 80....but that's the exception to the rule. Jagger is an anomaly. Will Axl run 9 miles a day and eat nuts and berries so he can do Jungle at 80?

This is what is worrisome about the lack of creativity. Time. The fans don't have another CD style wait in them. Either us or them will be dead by then.

We may be nearing the fork in the road. If venues are going to be half full for the upcoming tour, they either have to scale the operation down (arenas or fewer shows) or go on hiatus and let demand build back up.

When Axl goes on hiatus, it could be for 1, 5, or 10 years.

Imagine a GNR comeback in 2028-2033. Would anyone even care at that point?

James

James wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Again wishful thinking on my part though!

It's not the worst idea in the world.

While I mocked U2 for their remakes of classic songs, maybe GNR should consider something similar. It would be something .

Unfortunately....going that route would require effort in the studio and I really can't picture this lineup doing anything in the studio.

It just doesn't compute anymore. It's why I laughed when Slash mentioned them possibly recording a new album at some point in the future.

Not gonna happen.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Let's be honest, it's Axl when we all talk about this creative bankrupcy.  The other two guys have or will release material in the future.  Only when they are in Guns do they get stuck in the mud and are musically constipated.

Board footer