You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

polluxlm wrote:

I think the fact we already got 2 songs is a major point to consider. In the CD era it was all talk with nothing ever to show for it. This time they said they were going to release some stuff and fairly promptly did so. With songs already completed and ready to go, why should he refuse to release them? He must have known Silk Worms reworked would never become a big hit with the fanbase, but he did it anyway, so I doubt it has anything to do with the reception. But probably they were dissatisfied with the financial returns on the first GN'R songs with "the old lineup" in 30 years hitting the market. There must be something more to gain from that right?

If something happens this summer it will be something more substantial than a pair of songs, and with a significant promotional push. I see all the remaining CD songs being packaged, and to make it a full dish maybe a couple of new ones as well.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

I can't believe they even expected 'financial returns' from the first two songs. I agree if you wanna make some dollars go for an album, promote it heavily and for gods sake talk about it enthusiastically!

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Did they sell out their Hard Skool stock of physical copies? I have no idea.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Chinese Democracy should’ve been a double album. Put it all out at once, especially if the label wasn’t interested in pushing a second album. Would have really forced their hand about a “new” song.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I think the fact we already got 2 songs is a major point to consider. In the CD era it was all talk with nothing ever to show for it. This time they said they were going to release some stuff and fairly promptly did so. With songs already completed and ready to go, why should he refuse to release them? He must have known Silk Worms reworked would never become a big hit with the fanbase, but he did it anyway, so I doubt it has anything to do with the reception. But probably they were dissatisfied with the financial returns on the first GN'R songs with "the old lineup" in 30 years hitting the market. There must be something more to gain from that right?

If something happens this summer it will be something more substantial than a pair of songs, and with a significant promotional push. I see all the remaining CD songs being packaged, and to make it a full dish maybe a couple of new ones as well.

That theory makes a lot of sense.

Like the 2 songs was a test to see what happens going it alone without a label push. It livened up the hardcore cans but didn't set the casuals on fire.

If they are dissatisfied with the result the smart thing to do would be package the rest into an EP or Album and give it a more traditional push with a bang Ac/Dc style. The work is mostly done, and it would be really easy to do a remix better or one of the songs they play a bit different live if they need to pad it out without requiring a lot more vocals from Axl.

Then you could base a whole new cycle of a tour around that.

Alternatively, maybe he just wants to get stuff out casually and doesn't care how it goes in which case  continuing on with the drip feed to spice up the tours for us hardcores will work. Either way I feel like eventually we will at least hear what else they recorded when they did Absurd etc.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Seeing Metallica do their promo and the buzz and the multi-year tour must at least light some sort of competitive fire in GnR. Axl no doubt likes the attention he gets for Carrie’s guest spots by the national media. Doesn’t he want Stern, Kimmel, etc? One more push for stardom before full blown retirement?

Maybe not…

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Seeing Metallica do their promo and the buzz and the multi-year tour must at least light some sort of competitive fire in GnR.

There are years of evidence to suggest it does not.

That said coincidentally in the last two years where Metallica released an album (08 and 16), GNR did actually do something (released CD and reunion).

Round 2 begins now I suppose.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

polluxlm wrote:

But probably they were dissatisfied with the financial returns on the first GN'R songs with "the old lineup" in 30 years hitting the market.

Maybe they should've done literally any promo then. Like, an interview with Axl on mainstream TV or in Rolling Stone or something. And not made the first song out of the gate with the reunion line-up Silkworms, a track that's not exactly a radio friendly unit shifter.

It would've been so easy to do this right. Launch with Hard Skool, get Axl on the TV (or, hell, if he won't do it, have Slash and Duff go out there and do some promo). Do a nice exclusive interview with a major publication, do some Reddit AMAs or something. Make Absurd the b-side if you're married to the song.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

That would’ve been the smart move - release Hardskool as a single first, with a proper fucken video using live footage montaged with the studio audio on top, and shortly after release the EP with Absurd on there too, and live tracks, (like they ended up doing anyway) but within a proper timeframe and with proper promo for it, using the “first song from Axl/Slash/Duff in 30 years” as a major selling point. Then it may not have died in the ass like it did.

Instead they were out the gate with Absurd, which the general public thought was outright shit. So by the time they dropped Hardskool, the general public didn’t care anymore.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

I wander who came up with their 'strategy'....

Board footer