You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Pink Floyd feud goes nuclear

James wrote:

Another thing about Floyd-Waters....

It was agonizing/frustrating for him in the 80s(and 90s) trying to move on. He's talked about how he didn't understand at the time how much the "brand" truly meant.

In 87-88, Floyd was selling out stadiums...while Waters could barely fill theaters...and many were near empty.

Also that story he told where he's on a flight...him and the passenger next to him start talking music...the guy loves Pink Floyd...but he has no idea that Roger Waters is talking to him.

He realized everybody loved Pink Floyd...but didn't know who the fuck Roger Waters is.

Must have been a blow to his ego.

It clearly had an impact on him creatively...only a handful of albums since going solo.

Luckily for him, in the mid 2000s-late 2010s, Floyd nostalgia went into overdrive and he was able to take advantage of this pushing the Wall and Us+Them.

Had Gilmour Floyd not stopped touring after Division Bell, Waters may have spent his entire solo career in clubs/theaters.

PsychologyIsGreat
 Rep: 0 

James wrote:

Another thing about Floyd-Waters....

It was agonizing/frustrating for him in the 80s(and 90s) trying to move on. He's talked about how he didn't understand at the time how much the "brand" truly meant.

In 87-88, Floyd was selling out stadiums...while Waters could barely fill theaters...and many were near empty.

Also that story he told where he's on a flight...him and the passenger next to him start talking music...the guy loves Pink Floyd...but he has no idea that Roger Waters is talking to him.

He realized everybody loved Pink Floyd...but didn't know who the fuck Roger Waters is.

Must have been a blow to his ego.

It clearly had an impact on him and best fat burner for men creatively...only a handful of albums since going solo.

Luckily for him, in the mid 2000s-late 2010s, Floyd nostalgia went into overdrive and he was able to take advantage of this pushing the Wall and Us+Them.

Had Gilmour Floyd not stopped touring after Division Bell, Waters may have spent his entire solo career in clubs/theaters.

I highly agreed with your these words "Had Gilmour Floyd not stopped touring after Division Bell, Waters may have spent his entire solo career in clubs/theaters."
And the whole detail told by you is also right.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I don't think so, if only because of the Wall. Waters has the rights and he would be the only one able to offer a show based on it. For Pink Floyd fans that might not be their best album, but the tour was the most legendary of all time. Waters has capitalized on that and I think he would have been able to do so even if Gilmour was actively touring the "real Floyd". It has certainly helped, but we should not underestimate Roger Waters as a musician and self promoter.

Waters didn't get lucky. He managed to become a world famous rock star, twice! Once with the band and in the last 30 years he has built himself up from clubs to stadiums as a solo artist. That is insanely impressive, very few artists can claim this feat. Axl didn't even get close.

Gilmour I think retired Floyd because he knew it was fraudulent without Waters. Just look at some of the Division Bell behind the scenes stuff, an album where he had to hire professional writers and get his wife to write some half assed lyrics for him, there are moments where he is clearly embarassed and uncomfortable in those clips. Casual fans and the press won't notice of course, but Gilmour and I'm sure the rest of the band must have realized they were serving up absolute shite and calling it Pink Floyd. Live shows were good, but the albums, dear lord.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Rick, Nick, and Dave were willing to play at the Berlin Wall show? I never heard that! Man, that would have been epic.

I thought I heard sound bytes of Syd and Roger at the start of The Endless River but alas that was not the case. In a PERFECT world it would have ended with a snippet of Syd’s in-the-studio prank song:

“Have you got it yet? No, no, no …”

James

James wrote:

Rick, Nick, and Dave were willing to play at the Berlin Wall show? I never heard that! Man, that would have been epic.

It's flown under the radar all these years because it wasn't a situation where they're all together negotiating a reunion. They floated the idea, were willing to fly in, but Waters wasn't interested.

It's so mind numbingly stupid.

Look at the time frame. It's only been about 5 years since the blowup/breakup...and only 3 years since the Gilmour Floyd album.

Just like with the Stones late 80s, it was all fixable. They just needed to all be in a room together, fight it out, and reach some sort of understanding.

Imagine the real Pink Floyd back in business as the grunge/alternative era goes into overdrive. In this timeline, Amused to Death probably becomes a Pink Floyd album.

Waters can act like it's no big deal til the cows come home but there has to be regrets. The Wall coming down was the perfect reason to get the band back together....

Instead the world gets a wacky all star tribute to The Wall.

Pink Floyd fans that might not be their best album, but the tour was the most legendary of all time

I think a big part of its legendary status is due to how big the album was and the fact it was the final tour.

IMO the greatest thing touring wise they ever did is the mid 70s period where they are literally performing unreleased albums in their entirety every night.

Floyd fans at the time going to concerts got to hear Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and Animals 1-2 years before release.

I don't underestimate Waters. Easily one of the top songwriters/composers of the 20th century.

He definitely had some luck on his side though...and there's nothing wrong with that. He needed it.

He was lost without Floyd. Look at his post Floyd discography...it's almost as spotty as Axls. The 90s verging on a lost decade for him. Other than The Wall tribute in Berlin, he is completely MIA from 90s pop culture.

Axl didn't even get close

Axl is nowhere close to the talent level of Waters. Neither is Gilmour.

Gilmour I think retired Floyd because he knew it was fraudulent without Waters

Agree to an extent. He was like Axl in the fact he wanted it all until he found out the level of work/talent it takes to release epic after epic and put on mind blowing shows. Once he found out the hard way, he was fine with just coasting to the finish line.

James

James wrote:

Rare footage leaks out....

Sickening that this was sat on for 50 years. I want the whole show...not just clips.

This video feels like what a hoarder would compile for trade bait.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

This is a bootleg somebody sat on for 50 years? Guess they're looking to cash in.

James

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

This is a bootleg somebody sat on for 50 years? Guess they're looking to cash in.

I shoulda mentioned that. While high quality...it's not from the band.

Yeah the guy who runs that YouTube channel works on getting old/lost/hoarded footage of classic bands out in the public's hands.

He's wanting money to get the rest of it. While I support such an endeavor...the support is more symbolic than anything. I would never give money to someone like that...too easy to scam people.

I just wish Floyd would unload whatever video they have. They refuse to...and have even claimed that there isn't any....which is bullshit.

Even in worst case scenario of very little footage....they at least have 1980 footage from The Wall tour.

We're going to have to wait for their estates to release it.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Only valid reason for Pink Floyd to not release some of that is if they're having a beef about it. They're old, loaded, what are they waiting for? Do Rolling Stones got shit like that just laying around?

You would think they would rather have the accolades for a great work they produced.

If that guy sat on that bootleg for 50 years he is ice cold. If he didn't need the money it was definitely the smartest thing to do because now the price will be through the roof.

James

James wrote:

Perfect example of what we're missing out on....

Imagine that show in HD.

I hate how these bands just sit on this stuff. It's unforgivable.

Look at the Beatles...they literally sat on endless hours of the recording of Let It Be for over 50 years...for shits and giggles. It wouldn't have hurt anything to allow fans to experience that.

Imagine how many Beatles fans died between 1970 and 2022 who never got to see that. It took Peter Jackson wanting to see it and turn it into a huge project for it to come out.

Hell....there's still an unreleased Beatles song that hasn't come out yet... Carnival of Light. Yeah it's supposed to not be all that great but McCartney has hyped the damn thing for 50+ years. Release it !!!

I'd love for these mega rich artists to lose all their money...at least briefly. You'd then see an instant 180 on hoarding stuff from their prime. We'd get box sets of buried treasure up the wazoo.

Board footer