You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Re: The General confirmed next

Scabbie wrote:

IF they are planning to record a new album, maybe they are saving Oklahoma if it is a more traditional GNR sounding tune

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Seven and Soul Monster are the big mysteries

axlroselocke1
 Rep: 1 

I really want Soul Monster.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:
James wrote:

I heard Shacklermyrye's version.
Its not really a spoiler though...it's more like an "imagining" of what it could be.

Still want Oklahoma over anything else.....

You and me both.

I would've chose it over The General if they had taken a fan poll before deciding.

Because of the lyrical focus of “Oklahoma”? For me that is the strongest attraction for the song: To understand where his head was at when literally everything — his band and relationship — were in crisis.

What did he decide about his own identity and autonomy?

What did he decide about the risk and reward of trusting others?

This song could basically be an important chapter of his autobiography.

The potential for the lyrics is sky high...but it's the instrumental that really sells it for me.

It sounds like Soundgarden and A Flock of Seagulls jammed out a song.

I doubt it can get much better than that.

James

James wrote:

I finally found the goddamn thing. I could've swore there was a better quality clip...is it from 2002?!?

Just listened to that really loud. We're in for a treat if that hasn't been removed. This has to be the epic Slash mentioned.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:
James wrote:

I heard Shacklermyrye's version.
Its not really a spoiler though...it's more like an "imagining" of what it could be.

You and me both.

I would've chose it over The General if they had taken a fan poll before deciding.

Because of the lyrical focus of “Oklahoma”? For me that is the strongest attraction for the song: To understand where his head was at when literally everything — his band and relationship — were in crisis.

The potential for the lyrics is sky high...but it's the instrumental that really sells it for me.

The guitarist of Flock of Seagulls did some wild, inventive stuff that never made it to the radio:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jL0etb1rs … VpY2tzYW5k

James

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:
James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

The guitarist of Flock of Seagulls did some wild, inventive stuff that never made it to the radio:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jL0etb1rs … VpY2tzYW5k

That's great.

I looked it up.... they didn't even release it as a single.

Crazy bastards.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

Also he chose one of the main political/world events of the 1990s as the title of the song.  That has to have some sort of significance.  Thinking about that kind of got me kind of sad, basically Axl and Slash just needed time away from one another after Illusions tour and just either a therapist or some intermediary who could just help them bridge whatever personal issues they had.  A lot of the CD stuff that we are hearing now sounds like, I wouldn't say classic GNR but stuff that wouldn't be out of place if they hadn't broken up in 1996.

Longtime2
 Rep: 0 

Longtime2 wrote:

I had to start a new account, but years ago,  I used to post on here w/o the 2 in my handle. (Never could get it reset.)

In 2019, I was given a ton of music in Beta's Barn and The War Room, which I shared by DM with many folks on here. I still give great thanks to Dadud and Darknemus for their amazing efforts there!!

As far as "new" music goes, I strongly prefer the leaks over the way the songs were eventually released. At this point, I'm sure that SOG will be thoroughly ruined and that is one of my favorites of the leaks.

I don't believe that the additions by Slash & Duff have made any song better, but rather, they've made boring contributions and turned potential hits in subpar singles. After seeing how they play Live the CD Era songs, I had a feeling that this would happen. Slash seems to go out of his way to fuck up riffs & solos that don't sound anything like the way that they were originally written. He's either dumb and can't learn them correctly, or he's fucking them up on purpose. (Btw, please note that other GNR guitarists didn't change Slash's solos so that they were unrecognizable.)

I sincerely hope that Slash & Duff have been forbidden to even go near The General or any of the "Big Guns." I'm looking forward to having similar closure that others have mentioned, but it's bittersweet, because these 2 couldn't care less about these songs.

In regard to a new album, I don't think that it's ever going to happen. After seeing the process for CD, I don't see how anything is going to just be whipped up and released. Factor in the "let's not step on eggshells" unofficial mentality along with Axl's perfectionism, this thing will take YEARS.

Some songs might be put out, just so that the touring can seem fresh, but they'll ALL be happy to release 1 or 2 tracks every 2 years, because the touring payday (1 Million per show) is where it's at, not album sales. Eventually, multiple singles can be assembled into an album, but the tour money is simply too good to rock the boat with the pressure of writing a full album, possibly opening old wounds, and then trying to get Axl to believe that it's good enough to put out. No, "cause I think we've seen that movie, too."

And remember, they have a Lot of vault material that they can just rework and take their time to release! (Thanks CD Era GNR members!!) Any interview about an album will just be deflection and obfuscation, as it's been for so long now.

It's our choice to accept, or not, what the band has become. Enjoy the closure of hearing some songs that we should've heard years ago, but don't expect anything grand in the future.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Listening to some of the old leaks right now. I hope they eventually release "Going Down" as a single. If they don't want to use Tommy's vocals, they could put Duff on there...obviously with Axl's backing vocals layered in there. Give Tommy a really nice royalty percentage for his songwriting.

Board footer