You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: The General confirmed next

monkeychow wrote:

It's quite common in some bands to credit everyone as songwriters.

For example RHCP and U2 tend to do this regardless of who the actual first songwriter is.

There's pros and cons either way.

Dave Mustaine has sometimes spoken against that model - pointing out why should he credit people as songwriters who just happened to be sitting around in a room behind a drum kit when he wrote a new guitar riff on the spot.

On the other hand you get situations like Estranged - where a guitar line significantly elevates what could have been considered a completed musical piece without them. 

Likewise when songs have been jammed in a group it can get complex - if a singer copies parts of a background guitar part in the vocal melody or a guitar solo rearranges parts of the vocal line - who wrote what. Sometimes its easier to just give everyone and nod and not worry about the drama of who made what first.

Queen used to have massive drama over songwriting credits in the 70s (most notably when Roger Taylor made a shitload of money from I'm In Love With My Car simply because it was the b-side to Bohemian Rhapsody). Then in the 80s they started just crediting everything to "Queen" and divvying up the proceeds equally.

That worked 'cos they had a stable line-up, of course.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

I don't believe for a second that The General and Soul Monster have been combined. I believe the word monster is in the lyrics of the song along with the word monstrous. but we will see soon.

Agree, they’ve always been spoken about as separate songs.

Clear
 Rep: 0 

Clear wrote:

It sounds absurd to merge two great songs into one, it would be such a waist of potential, I think it's just a name change

AtariLegend wrote:

They're different songs, it's a title change.

"Leave Me Alone," "Seven," and "The General" could also feature on the new album. These three A-listed songs were worked on by Marco Beltrami, especially "Seven," which Marco deems as the best of the three songs. It has also been reported that Marco worked on a fourth track, "Thyme." However, this song was not worked on subsequent to Marco's work in October 2002. (Jeff Leeds, Sp1at website, 06/05)

"[GNR] was sort of just work for hire. [...] I met with Axl and he played me these songs, asked me my ideas about them, and I told him what I thought they needed. They gave me four songs to orchestrate. [...] A song called 'Seven,' which is the one [...] I actually wrote a guitar part [on]. There was one called 'Thyme,' one called 'The General,' one called 'Leave Me Alone.'" (Marco Beltrami, IGN, 07/20/03)

A: Ides Of March, Oklahoma, Atlas Shrugged,  Oh My God, Silkworms , Down By The Ocean (Izzy), Leave Me Alone, Seven , The General , Thyme , Quick Song , Zodiac Most all titles subject to change w/out warning and r considered working titles. (Axl Rose, chinesedemocracy.com, Dec. 2008)

The bridge in "Elvis Presley and the Monster of Soul aka The Soul Monster (working title Leave Me Alone)" which will no doubt end up "Soul Monster".

I think it's our most Black Sabbath moment. Sang it on a Christmas eve. Imo the meanest section of anything I've sung to date. Which having said that I'm sure when it's heard others may disagree but we felt it was a Christmas card of unadulterated venom so to speak. I felt a lot better afterward. (Axl Rose , Here Today... Gone to Hell Forum, Dec. 2008)

benny

benny wrote:

I really find it hard to believe that this song won't also be available in streaming and available for digital purchase through Apple Music.  I just think it's poor communication from management that it wasn't properly announced to hit all of those platforms on the 27th.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Just because the vinyl ships on the 27th that doesn’t necessarily mean we’ll hear the digital the 27th, right?

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

It would appear Levisnuts has resurfaced over at mygnr. This song dropping is bringing out all the old timers

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

It would appear Levisnuts has resurfaced over at mygnr. This song dropping is bringing out all the old timers

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of the ancients coming out of the woodwork. I wonder what ever happened to kingoffspring?

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

harmon420 wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of the ancients coming out of the woodwork. I wonder what ever happened to kingoffspring?

From CD.com? I think he was also Card5777 in a few place's. No idea what happened to him. There's a thread going on over there where Rick and Levi are there and everyone is talking about MSL, it's like the forum has turned into 2013 for a day. Next they will be bringing up Losthighway and Hittman.

Mike McGann

Mike McGann wrote:

Figured I’d drop in
Since we’re talking old-timers!!
Nice to see you all!

Splash

/Mike

Board footer