You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The General and Monsters

Sky Dog wrote:

It may be none of the above!

Cavaliere Orsi
 Rep: 0 

benny wrote:
Cavaliere Orsi wrote:
James wrote:

Ill give it a listen. I love listening to remixed albums. Animals was incredible...REM's Monster was a dud.

Sick how the The Wall remix was finished long ago but just gathers dust because they just can't get along. A miracle we even got Animals.

Yeah this obviously got delayed.

Someone said 12/8. wink

Will it just be The General or will it be The General and Monsters on streaming?

When I asked about "Monsters" I was told that they didn't have “The General” yet, because it was postponed, so there was no news of another song at the moment. So for now I can't say with certainty that they both go out together.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Sort of tired of the age old outdated production thing…. AFD is outdated…get over it. You either like the songs or you don’t. The General and Monsters fit in perfectly with Sorry and likely the other 2 Beltrami songs Seven and Thmye. The Bucket Brain songs  were clearly  different than the Beaven 2000 Intentions stuff. By 2008 we should have gotten these 20 songs broke out in to 2 cd’s together. Axl’s The Wall…instead we got a compilation album. Aye…

Well put.

It's like those photos of old roads where they pull out a strata of layers, roman concrete, medieval cobblestone, pre-war brick, and then blacktop...  Chinese is like that, there's like examples of 3 or 4 strata.

I'll say this about AFD - listen to it back to back with "Straight Outa Compton" tracks. It's an interesting exercise. They sound like a double album.

I'd love Mike Clink's take on the Chinese stuff. I think he had so much to do with the GNR "sound" that we fell in love with.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
Gagarin wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Sort of tired of the age old outdated production thing…. AFD is outdated…get over it. You either like the songs or you don’t. The General and Monsters fit in perfectly with Sorry and likely the other 2 Beltrami songs Seven and Thmye. The Bucket Brain songs  were clearly  different than the Beaven 2000 Intentions stuff. By 2008 we should have gotten these 20 songs broke out in to 2 cd’s together. Axl’s The Wall…instead we got a compilation album. Aye…

I'd love Mike Clink's take on the Chinese stuff. I think he had so much to do with the GNR "sound" that we fell in love with.

Or Izzy Stradlin and Steven Adler did.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
Gagarin wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Or Izzy Stradlin and Steven Adler did.

No, not really. UYI is the best sounding album (for me), ever, and Steve had nothing to do with it, and TSI sounds seamless when paired next to it, and there's no Izzy there, either. You throw in AFD cuts and LIES cuts and it all sounds like it came from the same planet - that's Mike Clink. I'm talking about how it sounds. Not... the music or how the instruments are played, or how the songs are composed (Axl and Izzy both tended to write 1/2 or 3/4 of a song, needing the other person's input...I think that's clear from Izzy's solo work and most of Axl's Chinese tracks...'Hmm, something's missing...') ----- talking about the SOUND.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

AFD sounds like it does because of Axl. Mike never produced another album like it. Same with UYI. Axl dictates what he wants, and AFD was pretty infamous of how idiosyncratic he was with those hundreds of cassette tapes. Which amazes me how he’d go bonkers on CD, which actually sounded perfect with RTB.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The record company pushed him to make it "different". It's that alright.

furly06
 Rep: 0 

furly06 wrote:

I just listened to the studio version of The General. It’s better the live version, but I’m giving it a solid 7+/10. Monsters is gorgeous, the guitar is Slash’s, no doubt, to this song I give a nice 8,5/10.

carlossacanell
 Rep: 1 

I think we need a high quality listen to the songs to know how the final mixes are. Cause i can't believe The General bridge has been well mixed. Sounds at a different volume of the part just before and after. Si i think we still don't have a high quality of these songs even they don't change a lot, just little things that put more sense to the final evaluation.

carlossacanell
 Rep: 1 

And also i'm agree these leftovers and the rest of them hopufuly to come should have been released in a double album at the begining of 2000 or even before.
Cause they show a new music direction that fit with that era but now they are dificult to be well received by casual fans that don't know the hole history of CD proyecto that began in the middle 90's

Board footer