You are not logged in. Please register or login.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

Re: The General and Monsters

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
Derko wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Anyone hear any parts of what they played instrumentally in soundchecks recently that was speculated to be the general ?(I don't)

How do we even know that this is indeed the general?

Does it even match with the Evader / Vienna File?

Where is the Beltrami intro? Where are the soundcheck parts?

Monsters is the song from the Vienna clip that Evader interpreted. Both The General and Monsters have pieces of the intro music played in 2006-2010.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Credit to D... from MYGNR he messaged Beltrami about these songs.

As promised, update. Mr Marco Beltrami was kind enough to answer me (love him, became a fan in 2003 with his score for Terminator 3, was amazed Axl hired him when I learnt about it years later). Here is his answer:

"Hi Guillaume,

wow, you really are racking my brain here because it was so long ago, but this is what I remember:

I was hired to do orchestration/arranging for 8 songs. I believe only a few were released on the album that came out a while ago.

every song was distinct.  any connection between songs I was not aware of at the time, so yes they were all separate orchestrations.

yes, I remember a song called “seven” was my favorite but maybe its changed or evolved since then??  I could be wrong, but the two you list here sound a bit reworked from what I remember.

sorry i can’t be more helpful

marco"

I asked him another set of question to fully confirm if Soul Monster is Monsters, hope he will answer.

But I think we could almost already assume The General, and Monsters, were not connected originally.

Almost 100% sure Monsters=Soul Monster now.

Edited 1 minute ago by D..

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Taken the weekend to digest the tracks.

Firstly they have to be taken from different sources? General sounds like it’s been recorded through a pillow. Monsters is crisp by comparison.

Love Monsters, it’s single worthy. That vocal bridge is incredible, I love the build to it as well before the drums crash back in. Got to be S&D on it, doesn’t it? If it is then surely the possible sources must be quite limited? Cant be that many people with access to slash and duff takes of these songs?

General is interesting, definitely a grower but needs a better mix. Catchy chorus and really haunting. Great for this time of year. Monsters is the pick of the two for me though.

Really intrigued to see how these two tracks fit together (if they even do). I did wonder if it’s a kind if jekkyl and hyde to child abuse. The General being more haunting and sorrowful, Monsters more reflective and angry.

Hi. I listened to The General and Monsters. The solo at the end of Monsters sounds like Robin Finck. It doesn't sound like Slash. It sounds like classic bends and high notes Robin is known for with Chinese Democracy songs. The song Monsters itself sounds like a CD era demo from either 2004 or 2006. I think on the vinyl version the solo I think is Robin will sound different with Slash. Monsters is a great song. Takes me back to Chinese Democracy nostalgia.

benny
 Rep: 0 

benny wrote:

Monsters is second to only Atlas Shrugged for me in the unreleased tracks.  Too bad that Atlas Shrugged, Monsters, Perhaps and The General weren't on Chinese Democracy instead of Scraped, Shackler's Revenge, Riad N' The Bedouins and If The World.  I'd add Hard Skool to the list of tracks that I wish that were on Chinese Democracy, but I can't decide which track I would replace it with from the album LOL.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

Credit to D... from MYGNR he messaged Beltrami about these songs.

As promised, update. Mr Marco Beltrami was kind enough to answer me (love him, became a fan in 2003 with his score for Terminator 3, was amazed Axl hired him when I learnt about it years later). Here is his answer:

"Hi Guillaume,

wow, you really are racking my brain here because it was so long ago, but this is what I remember:

I was hired to do orchestration/arranging for 8 songs. I believe only a few were released on the album that came out a while ago.

every song was distinct.  any connection between songs I was not aware of at the time, so yes they were all separate orchestrations.

yes, I remember a song called “seven” was my favorite but maybe its changed or evolved since then??  I could be wrong, but the two you list here sound a bit reworked from what I remember.

sorry i can’t be more helpful

marco"

I asked him another set of question to fully confirm if Soul Monster is Monsters, hope he will answer.

But I think we could almost already assume The General, and Monsters, were not connected originally.

Almost 100% sure Monsters=Soul Monster now.

Edited 1 minute ago by D..

This is as close to confirmation we'll get that it's Soul Monster.

The big story there is those CD liner notes weren't wrong after all...it really is both Buckmaster and Beltrami on those songs. Wacky.

benny wrote:

Monsters is second to only Atlas Shrugged for me in the unreleased tracks.  Too bad that Atlas Shrugged, Monsters, Perhaps and The General weren't on Chinese Democracy instead of Scraped, Shackler's Revenge, Riad N' The Bedouins and If The World.  I'd add Hard Skool to the list of tracks that I wish that were on Chinese Democracy, but I can't decide which track I would replace it with from the album LOL.

Chinese Democracy would've been a MONSTER record in 2008 if it had Perhaps with Robin, Hard Skool with Robin N Bucket, Absurd with Buckethead, Oklahoma with Robin, The General with Buckethead, Atlas Shrugged with Brian May and Robin, and Monsters with Robin on it. Chinese Democracy could've been a double album with these songs added.

benny
 Rep: 0 

benny wrote:
monsterscantkillme wrote:
benny wrote:

Chinese Democracy would've been a MONSTER record in 2008 if it had Perhaps with Robin, Hard Skool with Robin N Bucket, Absurd with Buckethead, Oklahoma with Robin, The General with Buckethead, Atlas Shrugged with Brian May and Robin, and Monsters with Robin on it. Chinese Democracy could've been a double album with these songs added.

100% agree.  I believe that Atlas Shrugged was supposed to be on the album in 2008 but ended up being cut due to the length of the album to be fit on a CD.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

When Axl comes in at around 2:50, could this be the verse he described as really venomous that he sang during a party? Coming around to monsters might be soul monster. Plus "you stole my soul" bit.

Also think it's Slash on the track but could be wrong.

wagszilla
 Rep: 3 

wagszilla wrote:

There you have it. Beltrami worked on 8 songs, straight from the horses mouth.

I'm glad the Thyme = TWAT schizo theory can finally die.

The Blues, TWAT, Maddy, TIL, Prozzie.
The General, Soul Monster, Seven

(Thyme is 9)

tenor.gif

I don't vant to do eeet!

Board footer