You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Re: The General and Monsters

harmon420 wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

I like that at 2.50 in The General there is clearly the sound of sampled frog's ribbiting behind the strings part and nobody at all has brought it up lol

The instrumentals and the isolated vocal track are very interesting to listen to. Definitely fits the motif of layer pressed upon layer of synth/vox and etc.

Breaking the layers down there's some interesting stuff going on. I have decent drum tracks for these songs now and a pretty good rip of the Bass from Monsters, I'm trying to isolate the strings more than anything but there so buried its hard to get a decent rip of it. There's a few things i can try though, not giving up yet.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Who was in charge of the tracks? Was it AXL? or label? If we can see there were better songs to be on Chinese Democracy, why couldn't AXL or the label see it?

Mostly I think Axl's depression/anxiety and then also the fact that he had no leverage with the label to make things happen. Instead of a timely and strange (and sometimes great) album, we got people trying to bluff him into turning in a record with 12 number 1 hits.

Fall, 2000:
Bob Ezrin: Axl, we are not ready to mix this record. This record isn’t ready to be mixed. There are two great songs on it and I know that you’re capable of more, that’s the reason why I’m here. You’re such a great talent and I would do you a disservice if I didn’t tell you the truth, which is that most of the songs aren’t great. But I‘m very happy to help you get there and I believe that it’s possible, if you would like to continue to work on the record, to make it better.'
Axl: I don’t agree with that. We are ready to mix.
Bob Ezrin: You have my number, if you change your mind let me know.

"It was a bummer. Most of the songs that are on the record now were done *years* ago. But all the talking heads in the mix were saying, “Make ’em sound better! Make ’em sound better!” So we kept redoing this and that." - Tommy Stinson

"Every time that we thought that we had the correct songs, somebody from the record company thought that we could make it better." - Axl Rose

Saboteur wrote:

It's Slash on both tracks

What do you base it on? I don't hear Guns N Roses songs Slash has recorded in The General or Monsters. But I hear songs Robin has recorded like Street Of Dreams, Better, TWAT, This I Love, Perhaps, Hard Skool, Zodiac 13, and Oklahoma in both The General and Monsters.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
James wrote:
misterID wrote:

It could have been that they were always meant to bleed into each other. Those orchestrations were really long and intricate

Everyone forgets the interludes... probably because it was only mentioned once.

Both these songs may have initially had an interlude sandwiched between them.

James wrote:
wagszilla wrote:

James refresh my mind on the interludes thing.

I just looked it up and it's not in CD Whispers. Fuck.

It was probably a Stinson and/or Fortus email in 2005 and obviously all those types of things weren't archived. The majority of CD Whispers is articles/interviews.

You mean this?

"I recorded a little bitty thing [for CD] last week, for like a, sort of a quick little interlude to another song." (Tommy, Rhinocast, 01/16/06)

Yep...that's it. How did that not come up in my search? All that came up was me talking about interludes. 16

Shacklermyrye wrote:

I like that at 2.50 in The General there is clearly the sound of sampled frog's ribbiting behind the strings part and nobody at all has brought it up lol

Something I noticed...

When listening really loud last night those "Oooh Ooohs" in the background on Monsters sound awfully close to those on Quick Song. Just snippets of it added to this song.

jimmythegent wrote:

Coming round to the idea that it is Slash and Duff on Monsters

The General, I’m convinced that is Finck etc

There's definitely something different about the two. Another reason I don't buy the theory that it's one song that the leaker split in two.

FlashFlood wrote:

The more we hear of these songs, the more Better seems like an outlier. Poppy, newer Axl vocals, Bucket/Robin. Doesn’t really fit with what’s heard on CD and these leaks. I wonder if the record company recognized it as the best chance at a radio friendly hit and forced it on the album.

Yep.

It does stick out like a sore thumb.

Someone...Axl...the label...noticed it was the only thing he/they had with a snowballs chance in H E double hockey sticks to hit the top 40 charts.

It's probably the first single in an alternate timeline of 2006.

This was our clue....

Once it was shit canned for PC, that was our clue it wasn't coming out.

polluxlm wrote:

Come on now, those vocal lines are killer.

This is a serious song too, while most of CD just feels like whatever. An album with this, OMG, State of Grace etc. would be a much more credible album with a unifying sound. Remove the "UYI 3" type songs like TWAT and The Blues to a separate EP, then make CD be dark and gritty like this. Massive album.

Yeah the album is simply too monotonous/repetitive. It keeps covering the same ground.

Around 2-3 of those songs should've been ditched in favor of these two or something else.

Street of Dreams
There Was A Time
This I Love
Prostitute

The album did not need all 4 of those. It's too much.

Ditch two of them.

Scraped
Shacklers Revenge

Ditch one.

An interesting album could potentially take shape.

Harmon is right...the 2006-8 leaks really impacted the album.

Chinese Democracy
Better
IRS
Sorry
Madagascar
The General
Monsters
Riad
Catcher In The Rye
Arlas Shrugged
There Was A Time
If The World
Prostitute

Put that on the launch pad in 2006...or earlier.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Coming round to the idea that it is Slash and Duff on Monsters

The General, I’m convinced that is Finck etc

I think it’s all Slash. Monsters just sounds like classic Slash to me and the voice box on General is a big tip off.

I’m really impressed with Axl’s songwriting. How he can jump from different styles of music to fit a song is so incredible. Very dark stuff. Just really really love the General.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Gagarin wrote:

Who was in charge of the tracks? Was it AXL? or label? If we can see there were better songs to be on Chinese Democracy, why couldn't AXL or the label see it?

Mostly I think Axl's depression/anxiety and then also the fact that he had no leverage with the label to make things happen. Instead of a timely and strange (and sometimes great) album, we got people trying to bluff him into turning in a record with 12 number 1 hits.

Fall, 2000:
Bob Ezrin: Axl, we are not ready to mix this record. This record isn’t ready to be mixed. There are two great songs on it and I know that you’re capable of more, that’s the reason why I’m here. You’re such a great talent and I would do you a disservice if I didn’t tell you the truth, which is that most of the songs aren’t great. But I‘m very happy to help you get there and I believe that it’s possible, if you would like to continue to work on the record, to make it better.'
Axl: I don’t agree with that. We are ready to mix.
Bob Ezrin: You have my number, if you change your mind let me know.

"It was a bummer. Most of the songs that are on the record now were done *years* ago. But all the talking heads in the mix were saying, “Make ’em sound better! Make ’em sound better!” So we kept redoing this and that." - Tommy Stinson

"Every time that we thought that we had the correct songs, somebody from the record company thought that we could make it better." - Axl Rose

It blows me away they had to keep working on the same set of songs over and over again...which achieved the opposite effect. They were made worse.

Such a waste.

the fact that he had no leverage with the label.

I know two ways to get some leverage....

1. Hire Azoff 6 years earlier than he did. He'll get the album out.

2. Leak the goddamn thing on Napster in 2001-2. The label would whip up a strategy quick.

This exact thing happened to Audioslave with their debut album.

Leaks don't slow things down...they speed them up.

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Miguelox26 wrote:

without the intention of offending anyone. It's slash because it sounds on the recording, recognizing the sound of a musician you like is not easy, but you know it when you are able to do it. I recognize many other guitarists easily and this case is no different It's slash, duff and brain on the drums. What do I base it on? What I hear! Robin staccatoes the notes and has a more piercing, distorted and strident sound!

Shacklermyrye

James ill get around to comparing the accapella's, you maybe right about the quick song thing.

Shacklermyrye

Miguelox26 wrote:

without the intention of offending anyone. It's slash because it sounds on the recording, recognizing the sound of a musician you like is not easy, but you know it when you are able to do it. I recognize many other guitarists easily and this case is no different It's slash, duff and brain on the drums. What do I base it on? What I hear! Robin staccatoes the notes and has a more piercing, distorted and strident sound!

Exactly this, they both have distinct guitar sounds. Fink is very staccato also so is Tobias actually, Slash lets things ring a lot more

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I love what RTB did with the songs, and I’ll never understand the love for Beavan’s production

Board footer