You are not logged in. Please register or login.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

Re: The General and Monsters

dave-gnfnr wrote:
thiago wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:
wagszilla wrote:

The idea of releasing these songs under the cloak of midnight is ridiculous. Firstly, they're prostituting New Gn'R's work in the press and on their own marketing ("first song in 20 years", etc.) and secondly, by yours and others own admission, no one cares. This isn't going to create some giant egg on their face moment or affect ticket sales. It's purely giving something to your most loyal fans who likely are going to buy it come hell or high water.

This all could've been done and dusted years ago. Reach an agreement with New Gn'R members, drop an EP of 2 CD leftovers and 2 live tracks every leg, and repeat. Hold back the most commercial songs for lead singles for new tours and repeat.

But as Dave said, this band is managed by the pool boy whose chief duty is massaging the ego of the boy prince.

The reason why no one cares is bc it does not sound like AFD Gnr.  Its just Slash and Duffs take on the CD era stuff
Until they all actualy write new stuff together that sounds like classic GNR, no one will care.

They will never sound like AFD again, and that's OK

Yet that is what all the fans want, that sound for new songs or they will never be happy

Bluefish18
 Rep: 2 

Bluefish18 wrote:

God damn it....I listened to each 2-3 times and decided to not download so as to not spoil the actual versions (since I was convinced these were older demos).  Now its sounding like these are the real deal...I know I don't deserve it, but...any chance of a PM??

wagszilla
 Rep: 3 

wagszilla wrote:

It's irrelevant.

The CD sessions are a sunk cost. They were in 2008.

The choices are (1) maximizing the way they can make money off them through professional management, traditional or otherwise - artwork, video, public relations aka things your fans enjoy (2) minimizing the money they can make off of them through Fermanager's "management" and Axl's "GNR as my own personal art project" approach aka doing the bare minimum (3) letting them rot in a vault (4) hoping a buyer will see their potential after Axl regains publishing rights in 2025.

The trend has been towards self-publishing and a self-sustaining ecosystem and they have next to none of that infrastructure in place.

carlossacanell
 Rep: 1 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
thiago wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

The reason why no one cares is bc it does not sound like AFD Gnr.  Its just Slash and Duffs take on the CD era stuff
Until they all actualy write new stuff together that sounds like classic GNR, no one will care.

They will never sound like AFD again, and that's OK

Yet that is what all the fans want, that sound for new songs or they will never be happy

It's ok but i think there are two different issues here. The leftovers are better if they had released with the old guys.
And then, make new music and they can sound like UYI era, more modern, or even like AFD.
There are bands out there sounding very similar to their beginings.

carlossacanell

Why are we assuming they Will never sound like AFD? I don't mean in term of hits but the sound. This is in their hands...

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
wagszilla wrote:

This all could've been done and dusted years ago. Reach an agreement with New Gn'R members, drop an EP of 2 CD leftovers and 2 live tracks every leg, and repeat. Hold back the most commercial songs for lead singles for new tours and repeat.

Looking back...it shows how horrifically mismanaged they were in the 2010s and how no one was on the same page.

Those tours overall were not successful...and the venues were getting smaller and smaller.

With the band dropping down to the extent they were a cunt hair away from being a nostalgia act on the corn dog circuit, they couldn't even figure out a way to get any songs out there.

Do you know what the 2010-14 tours needed to sustain them?

This drip feed of singles we're getting now.

There's no reason on Earth why they couldn't release Absurd around 2010-11. I remember in the lead up to that Rio disaster, fans were literally on their knees begging for a new song...yet they couldn't even throw out Absurd as a bone to a starving base.

If they're willing to throw these away as B sides, why not as legitimate singles in the 2010s?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
carlossacanell wrote:

Why are we assuming they Will never sound like AFD? I don't mean in term of hits but the sound. This is in their hands...

They can't sound like AFD because they're not in their 20s, Izzy and Adler aren't in the band, Axl Slash and Duff have written a grand total of zero songs together without Izzy, and they never have anyone who can produce and mix anything that will sound that good.

wagszilla
 Rep: 3 

wagszilla wrote:
James wrote:

If they're willing to throw these away as B sides, why not as legitimate singles in the 2010s?

My guess is a 4-6 year game of chicken between UMG and Axl.

UMG: It's reunion or no further releases.
Axl: I'll take my ball and go home.
UMG: You have our number.

Axl couldn't even play "Oh My God" in 2011 when it was rehearsed.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

What there doing now is basically what Ron said they should do back then, drop a few songs at a time. They should have done this years ago

carlossacanell

James wrote:
carlossacanell wrote:

They can't sound like AFD because they're not in their 20s, Izzy and Adler aren't in the band, Axl Slash and Duff have written a grand total of zero songs together without Izzy, and they never have anyone who can produce and mix anything that will sound that good.

Well, same for ACDC, Iron Maiden and many bands that every single album is very similar to others cause they don't use to innovate too much. For some fans It could be boring but they keep repeating the formula

Board footer