You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Re: The General and Monsters

Derko wrote:
Russy1980 wrote:

Listened last week. Thank you to the forum member who shared them.

I thought Monsters was pretty solid. Would've worked on ChiDem, but now I'd rather just have a straight ahead rock song from them.

As for The General... perhaps the saddest thing, is finding out that during the years when GN'R fans were being starved of new music and also being denied a reunion, that this is what he was doing in the studio.

The General is as epic as My World. I think, we will get something different on Dec, 8th. There is absolutely no Beltrami in this leak, which might indicate that this is a demo before or after Beltrami.

There's Beltrami in both, just buried really low in the mix.

Derko
 Rep: -2 

Derko wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:
Russy1980 wrote:

I thought Monsters was pretty solid. Would've worked on ChiDem, but now I'd rather just have a straight ahead rock song from them.

As for The General... perhaps the saddest thing, is finding out that during the years when GN'R fans were being starved of new music and also being denied a reunion, that this is what he was doing in the studio.

the funny thing is, the music on all the leaks and village sessions is really great
the weak link on most of the songs is axls lyrics and voice

I disagree. The voice is horrible and the music is mostly experimental bs. I've expected one of the best rock albums ever made because of its budget. But it's literally like My World on a double album

Russy1980
 Rep: 0 

Russy1980 wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:
Russy1980 wrote:

the funny thing is, the music on all the leaks and village sessions is really great
the weak link on most of the songs is axls lyrics and voice

This. Yes! I remember saying this at Rock In Rio 2001! I waited up to watch, already decided I hated the new band (cuz Slash), and by the end of the show I thought that Axl had been the weak link in the performance.

Russy1980 wrote:

It took a lot of courage and support for Axl to write and sing a song about abuse. I think The General is better than Monsters because of Axl's emotional gutsy singing combined with Robin's solo. A great combo for Chinese Democracy. And I never wanted a reunion. I wanted Chinese Democracy 2 and Chinese Democracy 3 instead of a reunion.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

No doubt with fink on guitar, bass, drums, vocals, synth's

Shacklermyrye wrote:

Robin only does the solo on The General lol it would be pretty funny to see Robin try to play the drums and sing. Though Robin did sing at Rock in Rio with Guns N Roses. Remember? And Robin sounded pretty cool singing then.

Tmgladden
 Rep: 2 

Tmgladden wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

Very piercing an strident

Tmgladden wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

Very piercing an strident

That's what another poster on this forum said was Robin's guitar style. I don't think it is because those words mean loud and harsh and harmful to the ears. Robin's not that kind of a guitar player. Better and TWAT for example doesn't fit those descriptions.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
darknemus wrote:
Miguelox26 wrote:

I always thought that the leaks of better, irs, there was a time and the subsequent ones were leaked from within in order to promote the material and see how the fans reacted, the record company was not clear about the sales, they delayed as much as they could. album and re-recorded it until they dared to release it, also a possible meeting with slash, that was the intention of the label, manager and promoters. Even village and the storage room, but that was coincidental, not premeditated like these leaks. And the same day that the general had to be published is leaked along with another unreleased song, the same bogus operandi!

I can say definitively in the case of IRS that this isn't accurate. There was a panicfest of epic proportions when it occurred and radio stations across the country (that were literally operated by robots overnight during that Trunk show broadcast) had people getting called in / woken up to go to the stations and ENSURE tapes were erased, etc. This was especially a 'thing' when it came to stations under the clear channel corporate umbrella. The satellite upfeed for Trunk's show was basically edited in real time for the repeat to ensure that not only was the song gone but any damn mention of it / reactions to it were as well - there was some serious chaos that occurred at more than a few radio stations when all that happened.

Now, do I believe Piazza's story about a random CD in his mail? Not necessarily - but I don't think for a moment that leak was intentional (as in, done by the band or the label) - you have to go by the immediate reactions that occurred at the time. Some people deserve Oscars if it was all an act.

You want an indication of how hardcore the reaction was? There were a lot of people in this country at the time who taped / traded radio shows.. (Trunk's show.. Dr. Demento.. Coast to Coast.. etc etc) - this is in the earlyish days of them evolving to doing that sharing over the Internet.. (I'm talking people with garages FULL of DAT tapes labeled like 'Coast To Coast 11-15-98 - Host: Art Bell' and everything else.)

Try talking to those people and finding a copy of that Trunk show.. good f'n luck - because OMG did I go through the effort at the time.. let's just say, due to my experiences at the time - I'm more than 80% convinced at least some people were paid to ensure those tapes don't exist.

Still boggles my mind how f'n QUICK they reponded to what happened, too - Minutes.. not hours.. Just another chapter in the less than normal that is this band.. lolz.

Yeah that whole thing is bat shit crazy.

The sick thing about it is how they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. The 2003 IRS thing was a huge story. GNR could've easily capitalized on the situation. That should've instantly been placed on the launch pad as a single.

Instead they did everything in their power to destroy that killer buzz.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The General is fantastic

Board footer