You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Best Films of the 1990s

James wrote:

My Cousin Vinny

Yeah this is great. That's one of those lightning in a bottle movies. Put anyone else in that and it probably bombs.

It's fucked up how the world almost got a sequel to this. They floated the idea but Tomei immediately asking for a shit ton of money killed it dead. Years later she was open to doing it but it was too late by then.

If the industry of today existed back then, they greenlight it immediately because an outrageous salary isn't a deal breaker today...it's expected.

Edit

Just looked it up...it almost happened again in 2012 but Tomei backed out. No point in doing it then anyways. Everyone is too old.

Wes Cravens New Nightmare

While I hate Elm street sequels, I gotta give this one more try. Supposedly it tried doing what Scream did a few years later but no one was ready for it yet.

Four Weddings and a Funeral

I should give this a chance someday.

I can't stand Hugh Grant or Andie McDowell in anything...so it was a deal breaker from the start.

Clueless

This is one of those movies that had pop culture by the balls yet wasn't really a huge blockbuster. It probably made a killing in VHS rentals.

I've always wondered if she eventually regretted not doing the TV series. She would've made less money than she did doing that Batman movie, but Batman was the beginning of the end of the Alicia craze and the Clueless series might have kept her in a holding pattern until she finds something better.

Sneakers

I may watch this soon. Last year I watched a bunch of River's films but never got around to that one.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
James wrote:

While I hate Elm street sequels, I gotta give this one more try. Supposedly it tried doing what Scream did a few years later but no one was ready for it yet.

The Elm Street sequels is what kept me off watching this for years. I just didn't figure the seventh movie in a series that derailed could be any good. I was taken aback with surprise when I finally did a binge watch of my Elm Street box set a few years ago. Especially considering how dreadful the sixth movie was. Maybe the worst horror sequel of all time. New Nightmare is definitely in my top 10 horror.

Hidden Text:

Again a fantastic idea from Craven but lacking a little bit in execution. The ending is the only thing I don't really like. They should have just stayed with the idea Freddy in this world was now for real. And I think maybe he should have killed her. To really sell the "real horror" gimmick they were going for.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Ever since I got into movies Carlito's Way has been recommended as a great mob type movie. Back then I didn't get it, Goodfellas, Godfather just seemed so much better. But now I see the greatness. It can be hard to explain exactly what makes DePalma so great. He's definitely an acquired taste and he can also be very hit and miss. He's not flashy, he doesn't really do anything new. There is no obvious music, humor or coolness about him. But you can tell he loves what he's doing. He lives and breathe film. He's a bit like Lynch where he's got this ideal, romantic touch to his film making. So many directors fall prey to their own hype. They want to be the big man and somewhere along the way they lose their essence. Tarantino is a good example of this. Great, innovative, fun director in his early years, now he's become pretentious and full of himself. Lars Von Trier also went down this path. But DePalma stayed true.

It's more of a toned down Scarface to me.  And it's one of my faves since I don't care too much for Scarface.  Pacino and DePalma give great performances.  There's a great chase scene in the train station too.  No one does chase/movement scenes better than DePalma.  Like you said he loves film.  I think he genuinely cares about how the scene is presented to the viewer and how to use the different uses of the camera to achieve them.  He can do blockbusters (MI) and arty ish type (Femme Fatale) but there's a joy in watching his films. 

Tarentino just makes these long slogs now that I can't really sit through.  Pulp Fiction is like 2.5 hours and it doesn't feel that long.  Some of the more current stuff just drags to me.  Kill Bill 2 was basically the last great Tarentino film for me. 

On Van Trier:  where the hell would you start with him (film wise)?  The Element of Crime always sounded interesting to me.

James wrote:

I should give this a chance someday.

I can't stand Hugh Grant or Andie McDowell in anything...so it was a deal breaker from the start.

Truthfully, if you can't stand either of them I'd pass.  If you want to watch one of those Hugh Grant comedies to see what the fuss is about I'd suggest About A Boy, it's really different and dark and has Toni Colette and Rachel Wieisz.  The other one might be Notting Hill but you've mentioned not  being the biggest Roberts fan either so that's another deal breaker.

This is one of those movies that had pop culture by the balls yet wasn't really a huge blockbuster. It probably made a killing in VHS rentals.

I've always wondered if she eventually regretted not doing the TV series. She would've made less money than she did doing that Batman movie, but Batman was the beginning of the end of the Alicia craze and the Clueless series might have kept her in a holding pattern until she finds something better.

See, I think she did the right move.  She kind of got lucky and was in the right place and right time with Clueless.  Her main appeal was either the teenage vamp or the Clueless character.  She was limited in her range and in this case struck while the iron was hot and made a lot of money.  I'm not sure she had a lot of appeal outside of those type of roles and she definitely couldn't carry a film by herself.

I may watch this soon. Last year I watched a bunch of River's films but never got around to that one.

This is one of those star studded films "done right".  Some of these modern ones are annoying in that it feels less like a film and more like something to showcase, actor X and Y.  But Sneakers is great, tells a decent story and is entertaining and everyone gets something to do and contribute.

axlroselocke1
 Rep: 1 

Braveheart

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I had forgot Audition was 1999...not 2000.

I probably would've squeezed it in somehow. That movie is amazing...it got me into Asian horror back in the 2000s.

Board footer