You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: What is he saying?

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bumble4tus
 Rep: -3 

Bumble4tus wrote:

Can't you hear the difference? It was That old song TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES...the mix wasn't right so the whole thing was fucked....next question? The exact words were to the effect that "One of you guys ain't getting it right...etc. IT Sucks when your sound is fucked!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Well Ax was certainly getting help sometimes. That WTTJ howl is quite clearly not reproduced live each show. People talk about his helium voice in 02, and a lot of me thinks he is naturally still closer to that tone than he sounds. I think the mics are set to make him sound raspy, but sometimes they work too little or too much and he claims its a tech problem. Which I guess it would be.

That's interesting. What makes you say that? I'm not saying your wrong..i'm just interested. I've always thought it was odd how his voice sounded 'different' in 02. Its closer to the old days these days (but a bit higher - but then its natural for a voice to change from 1988 to 2007) - but what the hell was going on in 2002. So i've always wondered what the deal was. I've heard various theories:

1. He was out of practise. (Not sure i buy this. Practise might make him miss some notes, run out of breath, but I dont think it would change the whole timbre and tone of his voice)

2. He had some kinda vocal problem/surgury and this voice was a phase in the recovery thereof. (possible..but then why not delay the tour until its fixed. Unless this is what caused the 02 tour to be postponed until 06...but then why stop again now)

3. That is now how his voice is (either due to ruining it in the past, or an operation or age or whatever) and that the voice we hear now is basicly an enhanced version of that designed to make him sound more traditional.

Myself I don't know what i believe. Although - i must say sometimes it almost sounds like Axl is doing an impersonation of the way he used to sing - you know like he always had so many different voices and sounds, but these days when he does like patience or soemthing - its almost like when a person copies his accent/sound and not the natural way it used to be - its almost kinda forced.

I don't mean any disrespect to axl btw. Great singer and songwriter and artsit. Just as a fan - i've noticed some differences over the years, and wonder what the story behind it is.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

1. about the madagascar thing (fairly sure this is what happened):

They started playing before he was ready to sing, on stage, out of his oxygen tent, or whatever...
He then goes on to tell Dizzy & Pitman to "fix" this by starting the first verse over again. You can hear them actually trying to accomplish this, but Axl doesn't get the cues they give him. So they just start over again from scratch (which is by no means a very professional way of fixing a mistake like this), prompting the obviously very sarcastic "very nice" comment from Axl. My thoughts: ok, they might have started to soon, but Axl should've jumped in, started singing, when Robin was doing the little "dzjigidy" thing on guitar you can clearly hear around 1:48. He had another chance to start singing 1 measure after that, that sort of break in between would still have been a better way to recover from this.

But then again, Axl was never really able to recover from these kinds of (band) mistakes gracefully.

2. About the singing:

My take on it is that since his "old" voice was so straining (he had multiple fucked-up shows back in the day 'cause of a shot voice), he tried something different in 2002: drop the rasp but keep the high pitch. The resulting "Ozzy-on-helium" effect wasn't much appreciated by the critics and the crowds, so he reverted to his old raspy voice (as much as can be reasonably expected at his age).

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer