You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: NEW Marc Canter interview

buzzsaw wrote:

James - I'm not kidding, not at all.  I don't like his solo stuff, at least not what I've heard.  That said, I don't want Slash in this GnR anyway.  This GnR is a joke and bringing him back in an attempt to legitimize all the bullshit of the past 15 years would be beyond rediculous.  If this is what GnR is going to be, then so be it.  I want either a full reunion or this band to get off it's ass and actually accomplish something.  Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to get neither.

I think BH and Finck are fine together in this pseudo-industrial version of GnR, but neither has a place in the band that actually accomplished things.  Neither of them fit the sound that was Guns N' Roses and their performances of the classics prove it.  You can cover for them by saying they are "making it their own" but when you're in guns N' Roses, you should play the songs the way Guns N' Roses wrote/recorded them.

starsko
 Rep: 6 

starsko wrote:

PART 2 of the interview is now up: http://www.thegauntlet.com/allinterview … Roses.html

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Ha, it's funny you say that. Jack White actually has more in common with Buckethead than Slash. 16 Go to buckethead.tk and ask for the JW fans, they'll come flying out of the woodwork. Besides, the Stripes aren't exactly a shining example of success. JW is more into the Raconteurs than the Stripes.

If the Stripes, who really are in a class of their own, because their last album was piano based, and this one was a little bit of everything, and Buckecherry are carrying the torch for Slash, he didn't create quite the generation of guitarists as we might have thought. Definitely no modern guitar players are playing in the same mold as Slash, especially not Jack White.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say, te be honest...

So, I browsed through the billboard "hot modern rock" tracks. Top 20 of them... didn't find a single one that had a solo in there. Lot's of "nu-metal" type riffs, lot's of boring old "alternative" music, lot's of "skate punk" music.

Then I started thinking: in today's mainstream music scene, how many bands actually feature someone you could call a "lead guitarist"? Of those guitarists, how many of them are household names to the average music buying john doe? Not too many, I gather...

Which triggered me to go back in time a little: the guys from Primal Scream, Noel Gallagher, that guy from Lenny Kravitz's band, Stone Gossard (Pearl Jam), Andrew Stockdale (Wolfmother), whoever plays guitar in Jet, Paul Mahon (The Answer), that guy from towers of london...

All blues-based, near-hard-rock. Not all of them very good, but more-or-less in Slash's "sound spectrum". So, apart from the more metal oriented guitarists (Mick Thompson, and that A7X guy), what else is out there in the mainstream that I'm missing, I'd like to know...

Maybe then you could take the time to show me where the clear BH influences are in popular music these days.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Lead guitar as we know it doesn't exist any more.  But the blues sound hasn't gone away, it's just transformed into the music itself instead of the solos.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Actually TheMole, I find that guy from A7x's playing to be like Slash's on several occasions.

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Actually TheMole, I find that guy from A7x's playing to be like Slash's on several occasions.

Could be, I'm not really an A7X fan. Synyster Gates is his name, right? I'll have to look it up sometime.

Well, it doesn't surprise me though. Slash does nothing special, he didn't invent anything new, didn't really expand on what was already known or anything like that -Buckethead does, and all credit to him for doing so; I really like his "moodier" solo stuff - but he does what he does extremely well. Even the Fall To Pieces Solo is a phenomenal piece of music.

I'd take Slash over any of his successors any day: GNR (AFD and UYI) are what got me into rock music in the first place, mostly because of his playing. And to be quite honest, three full albums worth of material isn't nearly enough to satisfy my thirst for GNR's specific brand of hard rock. There's no other band out there (nor has there been) doing what they did, and doing it as good as they did.

Feel free to call me "stuck in the 80's", or any of that bullcrap, but I tend to think music is timeless and experimental and new music&genres just for the sake of being experimental and new have never been able to capture my imagination. I don't care if it's been done before, if it's done right it's worthy of my attention.

People have always sought inspiration in the past, they do it in movies all the time, why should it be a taboo in music?

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
TheMole wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Ha, it's funny you say that. Jack White actually has more in common with Buckethead than Slash. 16 Go to buckethead.tk and ask for the JW fans, they'll come flying out of the woodwork. Besides, the Stripes aren't exactly a shining example of success. JW is more into the Raconteurs than the Stripes.

If the Stripes, who really are in a class of their own, because their last album was piano based, and this one was a little bit of everything, and Buckecherry are carrying the torch for Slash, he didn't create quite the generation of guitarists as we might have thought. Definitely no modern guitar players are playing in the same mold as Slash, especially not Jack White.

All blues-based, near-hard-rock. Not all of them very good, but more-or-less in Slash's "sound spectrum". So, apart from the more metal oriented guitarists (Mick Thompson, and that A7X guy), what else is out there in the mainstream that I'm missing, I'd like to know...

Maybe then you could take the time to show me where the clear BH influences are in popular music these days.

That's the point basically. There are no real lead guitar players in Slash's mold these days. No lead guitars period. That's why I don't think it's necessary for Slash to be in GNR. That sound is just not catching anyone's ear. All of those guys you mentioned, virtual unknowns. GNR doesn't need a Slash.

As for Buckethead. I never claimed he was a legend or that he's influenced anyone. I'm just responding to Slashers who think he's god's gift to guitar. Bucket is on an island by himself, and that's the way it should be. He fit GNR simply because he's different. The same-ol, same-ol shit isn't working. VR is a perfect example.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i agree with the mole

thats whats wrong with music these days there arent enough good guitarists around anymore

once rock music stops becoming disposable then we'll all be better off, i keep wait for the time when musicians need to be talented again but its been almost 10 years since any new half decent has debuted in hard rock 17

gnr may not "need" slash...but it would hurt any band (least of all gnr) to have him either

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
bigbri wrote:

That's the point basically. There are no real lead guitar players in Slash's mold these days. No lead guitars period. That's why I don't think it's necessary for Slash to be in GNR. That sound is just not catching anyone's ear. All of those guys you mentioned, virtual unknowns. GNR doesn't need a Slash.

As for Buckethead. I never claimed he was a legend or that he's influenced anyone. I'm just responding to Slashers who think he's god's gift to guitar. Bucket is on an island by himself, and that's the way it should be. He fit GNR simply because he's different. The same-ol, same-ol shit isn't working. VR is a perfect example.

Fair enough, but if your reason for wanting to keep Slash out of GNR is the fact that no one cares for lead guitar anymore, it strikes me as odd that you think BH would be a better fit. He was basically a soloist in GNR (from what we've heard, that is), at least Slash would contribute a riff or a melody now and then, and that's what makes the bands I mentioned so "popular": they go back to that sleazy, riff-based hard rock sound. Music comes and goes in waves. There's a huge disco revival, and garage rock is making a comeback as well. Next on the list is hard-rock! (i hope wink )

Board footer